Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default i need opinions...

So I have been taking my 4" 686 to camping for long time.
    Its great gun for protecting my camp site. But gets little on heavy side when your hiking in wood wth it.

Because of that, I have been considering getting something lighter, yet just as potent.

My first thought was getting something in 10mm. Thought of 1911 in 10mm(Kimber, delta elite, or fusion kit), but that would not be any lighter.

So I looked in to Glock G20. Its light, 15+1, and dependable(butt ugry tho...), perfect.
    I was set on ordering one, until I realise that box of 10mm is almost $30!, and got to looked at G21(same frame size). Its too big that I can't get my hand around its grip.

So I started to looking in to Glock G31 per gunshop's recommendation.
    .357sig, since it was made to imitate 125gr .357mag shot out of 4" barrel, it should be up to task as hiking gun, its light, dependable, and based on G22 frame, it fits my hand.
    And get conversion barrel for 40SW for practice or bed side duty.

Or go with M&P.357sig, with conversion barrel.

Or go with G22(or M&P40) and get .357sig conversion barrel(and new recoil spring, I presume?).

M&P is little cheaper. Or I can get gen4 G22, or gen3 G31 cheaper and convert.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Mity2; May 26th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Default Re: i need opinions...

Stay with the 686, just get a good shoulder holster for it. Gun on one side a speedloader holder on the other, weight is distributed good, takes it off your hips and puts it on your shoulders.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

I'd say for me first choice would be the g21. If thats out of the picture then the g23. The 22 is great but I don't think you gain much with the added size IMO. You can also get the drop in barrels for the 357 and 9 mm for the 23.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Stay with the 686, just get a good shoulder holster for it. Gun on one side a speedloader holder on the other, weight is distributed good, takes it off your hips and puts it on your shoulders.
    Oh yes, I'm still doing that. I'm always in search of new shoulder rig.
    But these days, I carry my little girl on my side. So I figure I'm still stuck with hip holster, until at least she is willing to walk, instead of being carried.

Quote Originally Posted by lhowland.40 View Post
    I'd say for me first choice would be the g21. If thats out of the picture then the g23. The 22 is great but I don't think you gain much with the added size IMO. You can also get the drop in barrels for the 357 and 9 mm for the 23.
    I don't want .45acp. I have enough 1911's for that.
    How would extractor work when you load 9mm with conversion barrel to slide for .40sw, since bleech face is bigger on 40sw?
    http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20sf

I see that you can get G20 in SF. May be that's the way to go? Still have the issue of ammo being expensive tho...
    Last edited by Mity2; May 26th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

460 Rowland conversion made for a veriety of popular pistol will perform like a full magnum 44 with less recoil and more round capacity, would be my choice for an in the woods Bear/cat pistol.

460 Rowland
    185 grain at 1,550fps 987ftlbs
    200 grain at 1,450fps 934ftlbs
    230 grain at 1,340fps 917ftlbs

(Montgomery County)

Stick with the 686, no need to change what is not broken. However, you can "fix" something repeatedly until indeed it is broken.

The weight thing is all in your head. The .357 686 weighs very close to the other devices you have listed as possibilities. The .357 mag offers you greater flexibility in load type that you will never get with an autoloader. Want to shoot powder puff .38 special... no problem, want to load up with 200 grain .357 mag loads going as fast as you can push them, no problem... all in the same revolver.

This is a classic case of software not hardware issues. If you want to buy something else, then do so. However, the tool you have chosen for the job is adequate, some would even argue (I am one of those) that is it excellent. You may be better served by spending money on a better holster and belt combo. I regularly conceal a three inch L frame that weighs damn near 37 ounces and do so happily. I do so because I can shoot fantastically with it using full house magnums and I make it work for me. The choice is yours...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Susquehanna County)

I'm with all of those who say stay with the 686. .357 Sig sounds like a sexy caliber. Its high velocity is based on a 125 grain bullet. But, if you hand load for your .357 you can load up to 230 grain bullets.
    See: http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html
    and take a look at his heavy weight bullets e.g. 180 grains and up.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That's good advice. If he is going to use it for camping, then stick with a wheel gun. It's easier to clean if it gets dirty and is more reliable than a dirty semi-auto. The right shoulder holster should solve his problem. Below is a link to a holster you should consider (however get one that fits your 686)

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...x?a=221814&e=Y

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I don't want .45acp. I have enough 1911's for that.
    How would extractor work when you load 9mm with conversion barrel to slide for .40sw, since bleech face is bigger on 40sw?
    http://us.glock.com/products/model/g20sf

I see that you can get G20 in SF. May be that's the way to go? Still have the issue of ammo being expensive tho...
    That's where I've heard mixed reviews some people say all you need is the 9mm mags and your g2g, as I don't have any experience with the lone wolf barrels I couldn't say it would work or not, but I have heard it going both ways.

I would say you can wait on g20 gen 4 so you'll have the changeable back straps, but who knows how long that will be.

(Bucks County)

What kind of holster are you using to carry your 686?

I've carried both a Glock 20 and a 4" Ruger GP100 as a woods gun. Both are carried in a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H and I really can't tell that much difference between them.

If the Glock 20 doesn't fit your hand the Glock 31 or 32 in .357 Sig would be a pretty good alternate I think.

I used to carry my trail guns in a shoulder holster but they got too uncomfortable. A good on the belt, leather holster with a thumb break works best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast