Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default paintball\airgun silencer, nfa or not?

im reading my 05 federal firearms regulation guide page 190 paragraph (m30) ARE PAINTBALL AND/OR AIRGUN SOUND SUPPRESSORS NFA FIREARMS? the term firearm silencer\muffler mean any device for silencing/ muffling the report of a firearm, ect, ect, next paragraph...... numerous paintball \airgun silencers tested by the atf have been determined by there nature design and function, firearm silencers... ok, is there something im missing here? every month i get a magazine from the nra (american rifleman) and in that magazine there is a ad for a integral suppressed air rifle, but i dont see any nfa warnings in the ad. just curious to know if that airgun is a nfa item....

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: paintball\airgun silencer, nfa or not?

The suppressor portion of an integrally suppressed air rifle can not readily be used on a firearm. Therefor it is not a "firearm suppressor".

IOW, if a suppressor can be used on a "firearm", it is regulated.
    If it can not be used on a firearm, your golden.

so your saying if i have a suppressor for my bb gun its ok as long as it wont fit a firearm?

(Berks County)

The funny thing about this is when I started playing paintball back in 1988 paintball silencers were for sale in paintball magazines from big well known companies. I actually owned three different ones which I sold many years ago. I guess between then and now someone at the ATF got a bigger stick up their ass and figure they should take em off the market.

They were make of plastic. I bet if you tried to use one on a real firearm the pressure would blow it apart.

Guess that is right up there with the shoestring machinegun huh?

One question though. After playing paintball for so many years my trigger finger has gotten really fast. Since I can't register it do you guys think I should just turn it in?

If the airgun suppressor is permanently attatched to the airgun it is ok from what I understand.
    Last edited by sluggie24; February 21st, 2008 at 07:03 AM.

(Washington County)

I was told when I asked people about them that it had to be attached to the paintball gun in such a manner that it would need to be cut off. Permanently attached, like welded.

But we all know everyone has their opinions on how something is or isn't legal and following them may be a bad idea.

Edit: There's a scanned letter from the ATF about a paintball suppressor floating around. I used to have a link to it but can't find it.

Edit 2...Think I found it, but I only remembered it being one page last time I encountered it. http://www.scribd.com/doc/357071/atf-ruling20054
    Last edited by Torch; February 21st, 2008 at 12:21 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    The funny thing about this is when I started playing paintball back in 1988 paintball silencers were for sale in paintball magazines from big well known companies. I actually owned three different ones which I sold many years ago. I guess between then and now someone at the ATF got a bigger stick up their ass and figure they should take em off the market.

They were make of plastic. I bet if you tried to use one on a real firearm the pressure would blow it apart.

Guess that is right up there with the shoestring machinegun huh?

One question though. After playing paintball for so many years my trigger finger has gotten really fast. Since I can't register it do you guys think I should just turn it in?

If the airgun suppressor is permanently attatched to the airgun it is ok from what I understand.

I had one too, roughly in 1998. It was for a spyder. The inner tube broke when I was putting it back together after cleaning it. It was all plastic and rubber. I can't imagine one of those surviving even a single shot on a fire arm.