Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default We Banned The SERPA Holster......

Our department today banned the use of the SERPA holsters. Our chief firearms instructor attended a recent class where they went over a number of accidental shootings upon draw from the holster including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rGnMKszxg

They said in most of the cases there was a user error upon initial draw. This caused the user to mash the gun back down and press harder on the release button. This added pressure caused the contracted trigger finger to go right inside the trigger guard and unintentionally pull the trigger.

Just thought I would share..

(Butler County)

Default Re: We Banned The SERPA Holster......

Watching the video and stopping it on the frame when the discharge happens the gun is completely out of the holster.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    Watching the video and stopping it on the frame when the discharge happens the gun is completely out of the holster.
    Yes...thats when these discharges are happening. Notice how his initial draw binds a bit. Then as the gun comes out his finger goes in and cranks the round. This is being caused by the super hard push against the holster. They said the guy in this video was an accomplished shooter as well.

(Allegheny County)

Oh... they also said the mounting screws are to short and bad guys are ripping them right off of belts.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Yes...thats when these discharges are happening. Notice how his initial draw binds a bit. Then as the gun comes out his finger goes in and cranks the round. This is being caused by the super hard push against the holster. They said the guy in this video was an accomplished shooter as well.
    He clearly states in another video the error was not only due to his stupidity but also the fact that he changed equipment. I think it was a Safariland with the thumb release(which is right next to the safety with a 1911). Then when he switched to the Serpa he automatically went for the thumb button first, disengaging the safety. After realizing his mix up he found the Serpa button then cleared the holster. When his finger met the trigger thats when the ND happened. Had the safety on the 1911 not been disengaged by his initial draw he might have walked away instead of limping.

Oh... they also said the mounting screws are to short and bad guys are ripping them right off of belts.
    There are 2 very different Serpa platforms the more "fragile" one being the CONCEALMENT version. The DUTY versions are more..."beefier"(and expensive). The Duty/Tactical versions also have much longer and "beefier" screws. (I can provide pictures of the screws if you'd like) But here are stock photos of the mounting platforms:

Concealment

Duty

Low Ride(Jacket) Duty
    Last edited by spartakis252; May 26th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Our department today banned the use of the SERPA holsters. Our chief firearms instructor attended a recent class where they went over a number of accidental shootings upon draw from the holster including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rGnMKszxg

They said in most of the cases there was a user error upon initial draw. This caused the user to mash the gun back down and press harder on the release button. This added pressure caused the contracted trigger finger to go right inside the trigger guard and unintentionally pull the trigger.

Just thought I would share..
    As I have two separate Serpa holsters, if you don't mind me asking, which holster is your department switching to?
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Beaver County)

And by the way in my above post I'm not bashing or promoting any company over another, I'm simply trying to convey the point of use the right equipment for what you are doing.
    Also become proficient with the equipment you are using. Switching holster systems(other than negligence) was the root cause of the provided "accidental shooting" video.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    As I have two separate Serpa holsters, if you don't mind me asking, which holster is your department switching to?
    You can use any quality holster that you choose here. We also allow a list of guns that are allowed as well. Glocks, Sigs, M&P in .40 or .45 Some can carry 1911.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MFNS View Post
    The serpa is junk. Yes, you can teach to use it properly but the technique tends to fall apart under stress. With good designs like the Safariland which allow you to index your finger high and away from the trigger, the risk of accidental discharge is significantly diminished.

The trigger finger is for pressing the trigger...period. The more you ask it to do, the better chance it presses the trigger when you didn't want it to.
    Hate to say it significantly diminished does not mean it can not or does not happen with that holster. As the OP said most of the incidents were caused by operator error.

Good training methods will always help in high stress situations. Unfortunately I would ask how many small departments have good if any training regimes. Many small departments have part time officers that work multiple departments. And I would not hesitate to say that a good many of those officers rarely go to the range to practice shooting let alone take time to refine the drawing of the gun from the holster.

By the way I do have a Serpa. And I am not in love with it. Not because of the holster itself. I do not like it because of the way it hangs on the belt. I prefer a holster that sits close to the body.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Our department today banned the use of the SERPA holsters.
    Were many of your people using the Serpa?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast