Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Anyone Ever Have a J Frame Cylinder Converted to 9mm? Actually Converted, Not Swapped

I'm thinking about it, seeing as I could buy a new J and have it done for less than what I might pay for my grail gun the 940.

I just think that I might regret going wholly to moonclips. I've even considered just having a .38 gun cut for moonclips, so I can use them or loose rounds. I guess what I need is a 9mm cylinder and a .38 cylinder cut for clips so I can swap them.

If you were to swap a new cylinder into an airweight it didn't originally come with would you need to do any fitting of any sort? I can't imagine it's just plug and play...

Just thinking out loud mostly.

Default Re: Anyone Ever Have a J Frame Cylinder Converted to 9mm? Actually Converted, Not Swa

I've never converted a .38 to 9mm, but if you want to have it done, Pinnacle Guns does 9mm conversions which also include cutting the cylinder for moonclips. Mark also does moonclip conversions for revolvers that allows you to continue to use loose rounds if you want.

I'm sending him my wife's SP101 cylinder in July to have it cut for moonclips.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Anyone Ever Have a J Frame Cylinder Converted to 9mm? Actually Converted, Not Swa

TK Custom cuts cylinders for moonclips. The way they cut a .454 Casull cylinder to run .45 ACP, leaves the rear of the cylinder intact for proper headspacing without the clips as well. I assume the same would be true for a .38/9mm, but you'd have to double check.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    TK Custom cuts cylinders for moonclips. The way they cut a .454 Casull cylinder to run .45 ACP, leaves the rear of the cylinder intact for proper headspacing without the clips as well. I assume the same would be true for a .38/9mm, but you'd have to double check.
    They do, they are one of the places I was looking at.