Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default My experiences, or lack thereof, with my local cops

The experiences I've had with my local cops are rather out of the ordinary. When ever a local cop sees me open carrying, they go out of their way to avoid eye contact with me. It's almost as though they are afraid of me, or are nervous of me. This seems like the exact opposite of what most people here experience.

The only thing I can think of for this happening is my political activism in the area. The chief-of-police in my town was, until recently, also on the school board. Many of the borough council members are former school board members and vice versa. My school board, and borough council have engaged in many questionable activities over the years and I've been at the meetings, being very vocal about filing complaints with state and federal authorities, demanding people be fired, filing various RTK letters, etc.

The only other reason I can think of for the odd reaction I get could be that my town borders Dickson City and the OCB incident may have spooked them. Not that I'm complaining about being left alone, it's just really...odd. Anyone else get this reaction?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: My experiences, or lack thereof, with my local cops

Job security maybe? Why screw with the local "trouble maker" if he is going to write letters to the town board and the feds etc. Why open up a new can of Worms?

Besides a lot of small town boards and councils in PA are being investigated by the FBI for corruption as we speak, i say its about time.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Job security maybe? Why screw with the local "trouble maker" if he is going to write letters to the town board and the feds etc. Why open up a new can of Worms?

Besides a lot of small town boards and councils in PA are being investigated by the FBI for corruption as we speak, i say its about time.
    Sadly, there are many corrupt city councils. In Quartzite, AZ, the city manager (I think was his job), was a cook in the army. He has weapons. An activist aggravates him so much that the manager went to a judge to have the ACTIVIST'S guns taken away because the manager didn't know if he (the manager's) PTSD was going to kick in and he was going to do something stupid.

The Judge did something stupid and stripped the activist of his weapons.
    http://www.wnd.com/2011/07/326601/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=endiU...ature=youtu.be

From the YouTube video description: "Some people in town have referred to Joe Winslow as "Machine Gun Joe" for a comment he was allegedly heard to make about how to remove the five residents who regularly sit in the front rows of council meetings. Councilman Joe has 24 years of honorable service in the US Army and states at the hearing that he most fears his own response to Mike Roth's agression"

(Philadelphia County)

Philadelphia City Council..................

......need I say more?

(Clinton County)

When we were going to various Town and Borough council meetings on preemption issues, we did not have any problem with the Police.

The one even had more Police show up when they knew we were coming. We had a casual conversation outside before the meeting with one of the officers. He did not know we were the gun people. One of the guys we were with knew him. We had coats on or I would have been OC. After we told him what we were there for, he said " I don't believe there is anything to worry about tonight" He left not long after the meeting started.

After a meeting at another place we had a nice conversation with the Chief of Police. He must have educated his officers. We have never had a problem there.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    The experiences I've had with my local cops are rather out of the ordinary. When ever a local cop sees me open carrying, they go out of their way to avoid eye contact with me. It's almost as though they are afraid of me, or are nervous of me. This seems like the exact opposite of what most people here experience.

The only thing I can think of for this happening is my political activism in the area. The chief-of-police in my town was, until recently, also on the school board. Many of the borough council members are former school board members and vice versa. My school board, and borough council have engaged in many questionable activities over the years and I've been at the meetings, being very vocal about filing complaints with state and federal authorities, demanding people be fired, filing various RTK letters, etc.

The only other reason I can think of for the odd reaction I get could be that my town borders Dickson City and the OCB incident may have spooked them. Not that I'm complaining about being left alone, it's just really...odd. Anyone else get this reaction?
    Maybe they just don't like you... and probably consider you a PITA... or both.