Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default My Little 7-11 encounter with the police.

I wanted to share this story of something that just happened to me 30 minutes ago. Many of us on here say that if a cop starts questioning us we will do or say this to them. However, many of us have never had any encounters with the police while carrying. And therefore, really don’t know how we will respond. Here’s my encounter which involved zero verbal communication with the cops.

I’m a vampire and am up most of the night. At around 1am, I decide I want to go to the local 7-11 for some hotdogs and something sweet. Since its raining, I grab the first sweatshirt I find which is my Red Jacket Firearms sweatshirt, and I strap on my Glock 27 IWB. I get to the 7-11 and see 4 cops inside talking. Just as a safety precaution, I turn on the recorder app on my iPhone. As I walk in, the one cop is leaving. I hold open the door and allow him to pass. When I get in, the remaining 3 cops all look over at me. For whatever reason, this already made me nervous.

Next I grab a drink and head for the Twinkies which is located in the back corner, 5 feet away from where the cops were standing. As I’m approaching, all 3 seemed to get quiet. I am watching their eyes as they were all reading my sweatshirt. At this point my anxiety level sky rockets and I start shaking like one of those like Chihuahua dogs, one step away from peeing myself...haha. The cops never said a single word as I approached, grabbed my food, and walked away. However, I can see their reflections in the glass and saw all 3 still staring at me as I go pay for my stuff and leave.

There was absolutely zero verbal communication between them and myself. But I’m just wondering what would’ve happened if there were. I’m also wondering how many of us on here that say we would do this, or we would say that, would actually do what we say. Based on my little encounter I have no idea what I would do or say if questioned by the police.

Let me have your thoughts as to how you keep your cool when in an intimidating situation such as this. I think if I found myself in the same situation as Viper, down in Philly a while back, with several cops, guns drawn, I think I would've just shit myself and fainted.

Please no bashing my sweatshirt. I know not everybody likes or watches that show, but I find it entertaining and like my sweatshirt.
    Last edited by JasonK007; May 25th, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Berks County)

Default Re: My Little 7-11 encounter with the police.

I had a very similar thing happen to me not long ago. I was at the local wawa with my gf an daughter. I seen 3 police cars outside before I went in so I knew there where cops inside. I was OC'ing my 1911. I was nervous when I walked in. I didnt have to go close to the cops but as I was standing in line to pay I turned around to talk to my daughter and caught one of the cops looking at me. I got super nervous and then he smiled an nodded his head! It helped ease the nervousness.

Glad to hear about people OCing. I will say that it is sad that we live in a society in which a person would be shaking at fear of police altercations when doing something constitutionally protected. That is indicative of a systemic failure.

(Beaver County)

They were probably staring at your because you were acting strung out.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by WereWolf View Post
    They were probably staring at your because you were acting strung out.
    I've actually never reacted like this around cops before, because I generally don't do anything illegal. I think it's because there were several of them all looking at me at the same time. It felt like an episode on Animal Planet when a baby zebra walks into a lion's den.

(Montgomery County)

The more I think about it, I feel the cops were probably checking me out the way they did because of it being 1am on thirsty Thursday. I go to a local Wawa on the weekends at around 2am, and that place is crawling with drunks.

(Chester County)

It's because you walked into a 7-11 at 1am wearing a HOODIE!!!

(Centre County)

I am not sure how much (if) you OC but I have found the following to be true for me:
    1. As the days changed into weeks, then months, then years I became less nervous around cops
    2. After reading about the many OC stories here on PAFOA (both positive and negative) I became more educated and thus more comfortable and confident
    3. After my first and only truely negative encounter while OC I have become more defiant/confident in my knowledge and ability to handle a future incident. I learned from my mistakes
    4. As I have become wiser and more prepared ( one example is my recorder app on phone which I can lock closed as it records so no one can access it without my code) I have become less nervous
    5. Let me stress again.....I try to learn from those experiences of others here on the forum
    6. I know in my mind and heart that what I am doing is legal, moral and helpful to others who may decide to exercise their RIGHTS

Not sure if this will be helpful. Just my opinions and experiences.

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by TheF00L; May 25th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheF00L View Post
    ...I have become wiser and more prepared ( one example is my recorder app on phone which I can lock closed as it records so no one can access it without my code)...
    I just set up my phone to do exactly this. Incredibly terrific idea!

(+ Rep when I can.)

Got him!
    Last edited by Cherokee60; May 25th, 2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Got him!
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

(Centre County)

Granted, this is not a perfect solution but it can not be inspected to see that i am recording.

Unfortunately doesn't stop the cops from just breaking it

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast