Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need Info PICS Denial of Transfer, FREE Gift 4 1st Guy Who gives Right Detaild Info

Not sure yet what gift will be but wont be anything cheesy or cheap, When I get correct info from the 1st person to give answer Ill just give him/her a choice of a few items as the free gift. Thanks a bunch guys/gals

About a month ago I ordered a Beretta tomcat online and had it shipped to my local FFL just as I have many times before. When I went to do the transfer I was put into research and a few days later was denied the transfer. I never ended up challenging it and not becauae i didnt want to but for some other reason that allow me to do it in time. I ended up figuring out that I had two warrants for my arresst in my favorite state of New Jersey for not paying two seperate traffic tickets I got maybe a year or so ago. Completely my dumb ass fault for not paying them but I had no idea about the warrant cause I moved and any paper work woulda went to my old address. So i paid my fines and had to warrants removed. So Im all good now legally. Today I went back to re do my transfer again at mt FFl and this time I was flat out denied with not even a bs research thing. Any idea why that could happen? Do I have to file the challenge form even tho im am now legally fine. What im askimg is eve tho im legal do i have to file the challenge to have the previous denial removed so I can get back to my regular legal status for buying firearms or does it not matter if i didnt file the challenge and should be fine since my warrants are gone and they were only traffic tickets? Any info would be huge and big time appreciated!!!
    Last edited by WMHM4; May 24th, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: change info

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need Info PICS Denial of Transfer, FREE Gift 4 1st Guy Who gives Right Detaild In

you should have challenged it from the start. since you did not do so in the allotted time frame you are then permantly denied, hence the immediate Denial. i would proceed with a challenge to try and get a reversal or at least an explination as to why you were denied. PSP by law must provide a reason for the denial.

i deal with this day in and day out at the Gun shop i work for.
    Last edited by renegadephoenix; May 25th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Need Info PICS Denial of Transfer, FREE Gift 4 1st Guy Who gives Right Detaild In

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    you should have challenged it from the start. since you did not do so in the allotted time frame you are then permantly denied, hence the immediate Denial. i would proceed with a challenge to try and get a reversal or at least an explination as to why you were denied. PSP by law must provide a reason for the denial.

Thats what I was hoping to hear, i woulda have done the challenge from the first reasearch denial but i had a misunderstanding with my ffl guy and missed the deadline. I figured out or at least fixed the only problem/reason i had to be denied and then went today to redo the transfer but was automaticly denied. So what your saying is that it was right for them to deny me even tho i fixed the reasons for the initial denial, right? So if I challenge this second denial for the same ffl transfer as the first one I should receive a letter of approval as long as i did fix my denial problem? Is that all correct? I really hope so!!!! Great answer, just please answer this question and the free gift is yours.

Heres ur choices
    A box brand new of 9mm winchester supreme elite pdx1 in 124gr jhp 20rd box

A brand new under armour t shirt in your size and color of your choice

4 packs of surefire 123 batts 2 in a pack for total of 8 123 batteries

Let me know but i need ya to answer the rest asap

Thanks a ton buddy i really really appreciate it

Im me your gift choice and name and address, the under armour t shirt is what im hoping you pick but seriously which ever you want and dont feel bad it was my offer and i follow thru with what i say, thanks buddy!!!
    Last edited by WMHM4; May 25th, 2012 at 05:23 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Are you still getting the Tomcat. I have one and enjoy it. The tilt barrel is great. Just don't put +p rounds in it. On the Beretta web site it says don't buy ammo that is over 130 ft/lbs of energy. They had a frame cracking problem years ago.

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/a...MmFoeVgtWWs%3D

(Allegheny County)

/\ THIS is what you need to do ASAP get the challenge form back to the PSP/\

Quote Originally Posted by WMHM4 View Post
    Thats what I was hoping to hear, i woulda have done the challenge from the first reasearch denial but i had a misunderstanding with my ffl guy and missed the deadline. I figured out or at least fixed the only problem/reason i had to be denied and then went today to redo the transfer but was automaticly denied. So what your saying is that it was right for them to deny me even tho i fixed the reasons for the initial denial, right? So if I challenge this second denial for the same ffl transfer as the first one I should receive a letter of approval as long as i did fix my denial problem? Is that all correct?
    You need to do the challenge form in the allotted time frame, DO NOT WAIT. To find out exactly what the original denial was based on, remediate the problem and be able to prove to PSP satisfaction that its be corrected.

since you waited and didn't not challenge the orginal denial and the PSP entered a default ruling against you.

As it was your responsibility to do this in the time allowed

now You may have to hire an attorney to get your records cleaned up, it also may take some extra time now, so KEEP OUT of all legal trouble to your records are corrected

BTW there are several thread on PICS denial challenges on PAFOA you can research and several forum members that are also attorney’s that know the firearm laws of PA you could hire if required

good luck

Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Centre County)

Do the challenge this time. The PSP will then either send you a letter saying the denial was reversed (and they should give you a unique number to give to your FFL in the future when you buy a gun) OR they will send you a letter detailing why you were denied. If your denial is not reversed, then the letter saying why will give you a starting place to get everything cleared up. Just a guess but it may be that NJ never cleared up the paperwork after you paid your fines, etc. It may be that you will have to get a lawyer involved, but maybe it will just take showing receipts, etc. proving you have taken care of the matter.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Do the challenge this time. The PSP will then either send you a letter saying the denial was reversed (and they should give you a unique number to give to your FFL in the future when you buy a gun) OR they will send you a letter detailing why you were denied. If your denial is not reversed, then the letter saying why will give you a starting place to get everything cleared up. Just a guess but it may be that NJ never cleared up the paperwork after you paid your fines, etc. It may be that you will have to get a lawyer involved, but maybe it will just take showing receipts, etc. proving you have taken care of the matter.
    Thanks for the help and advice, i certainly hope I dont end up needing a lawyer. It was just stupid traffic ticket fines, i cant beleive they issua a warrant for something like that, im so glad i moved out of that state! I have my payment receipts and other papers saying the warrants were now cancelled cause i made payment. Im really hopin the 2nd denial was because after one denial you have to be reinstadted before you can be approved again.

Thanks guys

Bill

(Franklin County)

since you did not do so in the allotted time frame you are then permantly denied
    Citation of law? Since one can be temporarily prohibited for a number of reasons, what legal basis is there to "permanently" deny someone based on a past PICS check? I thought the whole point of the PICS system was to verify someone's status at the time of the desired purchase/transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by WMHM4 View Post
    It was just stupid traffic ticket fines, i cant beleive they issua a warrant for something like that, im so glad i moved out of that state! I have my payment receipts and other papers saying the warrants were now cancelled cause i made payment.
    ^^^^^ This is sadly what NJ has become, a money hungry revenue generating monster state. Growing up I had a couple friends get arrested due to unpaid traffic tickets. TRAFFIC TICKETS! They were non-criminal offenses. I even had an acquaintance tell me how he was arrested and jailed for the night because he had a warrant out for 1 unpaid parking ticket! It was for less than $100 and they booked him after he did not pay it.

When I had to go to traffic court once in that state, the judge openly warned everybody in the courtroom that if you had to adjourn your case for any reason you best show up, otherwise a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Save your payment receipts and those papers on the warrants because you can not trust the draconian bureaucracy of NJ.

PICS doesn't "permanently" deny anyone based on a previous PICS denial. What they do is deny based upon records in the system.

It's possible that the 1st denial was based on the "fugitive from justice" clause, although there's supposed to be an exception for traffic issues (at least if they're PA traffic citations):

(1) A person who is a fugitive from justice. This paragraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon a nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).

Once you pay the fines, the outstanding warrants should be removed from the system. If you were denied based on those again, then the issue is getting the paperwork from NJ into the national databases.

But the denial may have been for some other issue entirely, you have to look over the Federal and state disqualifiers. Every time you fill out a 4473 or a Challenge Form, you risk making a false statement, which is a crime. Once when you try to purchase, again when you challenge. If there's another disqualifier and you challenge now, that makes 3 separate offenses.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast