Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Question about CCW non-PA resident permits

I'm a resident of Arizona, but I'm a current Law Student here in PA. So I'm in PA for just over 7 months of the year - but I do have a PA non-resident permit.
    So when I'm looking at state's reciprocity laws would I be able to carry concealed in any state that has reciprocity with both AZ, and PA, or Either of the two. OR am I only entitled to carry in the different state if they have reciprocity with the state that I declare residency in (which is Arizona).

Thanks any help would be wonderful,
    -Reed

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question about CCW non-PA resident permits

You PA license only affords you privileges in the states that PA has agreements with or if the other state honors all blanketly. Except, there are a few states that require the license bearer to be a resident of the issuing state. NH, FL, CO, MI, and WV require you to be a resident of PA to honor the PA license. Your home state of AZ requires you to have a AZ license because you are a AZ resident legally and will not honor your PA non-resident LTCF.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/pennsylvania_map.gif

Notice clause [1] for AZ.
    http://www.pafoa.org/reciprocity/

[1] Arizona only honors other state's permits if the holder is not an Arizona resident.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 20th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yes I know about Arizona, that's why I took the Course there and then the Range exam and the written exam, and submitted fingerprints and an Okay for the FBI background check to the AZ DPS. Then when I came back to PA for post graduate work and school I received the non-res permit.

Thank you for the other information and the links!

I never understood why AZ gives reciprocity to PA but PA won't in return.... It is much more difficult to obtain an AZ permit, with the written exams, and the actual hands on exam at targets on the range that require you to be a certain caliber of a marksmen - if you miss or get to many on the white of the target paper you fail and have to wait a bit to take the course again.
    BUT anyone over 21 who isn't a convict can open carry anything from a .22 pistol to a belt-fed weapon over their shoulder in the open and ANYWHERE except where they serve alcohol by the drink.

Actually that brings me to another question, here in PA you're allowed to carry concealed into a restaurant and bar correct?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by HunterReed View Post
    Yes I know about Arizona, that's why I took the Course there and then the Range exam and the written exam, and submitted fingerprints and an Okay for the FBI background check to the AZ DPS. Then when I came back to PA for post graduate work and school I received the non-res permit.

Thank you for the other information and the links!

I never understood why AZ gives reciprocity to PA but PA won't in return.... It is much more difficult to obtain an AZ permit, with the written exams, and the actual hands on exam at targets on the range that require you to be a certain caliber of a marksmen - if you miss or get to many on the white of the target paper you fail and have to wait a bit to take the course again.
    BUT anyone over 21 who isn't a convict can open carry anything from a .22 pistol to a belt-fed weapon over their shoulder in the open and ANYWHERE except where they serve alcohol by the drink.

Actually that brings me to another question, here in PA you're allowed to carry concealed into a restaurant and bar correct?

AZ blanketly honors all without any agreements, with the exception for their own residents. However, PA now honors AZ's with an announced agreement yesterday. our map just hasn't been updated yet.

Bar and restaurants are legal..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Oh really?
    Wow great, now I don't need to apply for a new CCW for PA when mine expires.
    I just hope any police officers are aware of the reciprocity change if I'm ever stopped and asked if I'm carrying.
    No need to go to nail over a misunderstanding.

Thank you for that new Information.

-Reed

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    AZ blanketly honors all without any agreements, with the exception for their own residents. However, PA now honors AZ's with an announced agreement yesterday. our map just hasn't been updated yet.

Bar and restaurants are legal..
    What knight said, the only reason the map isn't updated yet is because I generally wait until things are official so I have something to link to that backs up the claim.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Adams County)

What law school? Hopefully, for your sake, you're not in Philly.