Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Need to choose a pocket pistol for 83 year old, under $300

My friend Karl (the machinist guy who helped me with my SBS and CX4 projects) asked me to help him pick out a small pistol for concealed carry. He already has a LTCF but doesn't own any guns. He's only shot a gun once, and it was a full sized Glock (don't know what caliber).

He says he wants a semi-auto and is not even considering a revolver, so that's off the table.

I'm thinking he needs something that's very small (so he'll actually carry it), not too snappy, and reliable. I think it should have a consistent trigger pull (so no SA/DA), preferably DAO. It should not have an external safety. The slide should be easy to rack, so blowback guns are probably off the table.

My first thought was an LCP. They are in his price range, DAO, no safety, and seem to have a good reputation. But I've never shot one so I don't know if the recoil will be too much for him. Since it's locked breach it should have less recoil than a blow-back, and it should be easier to pull back the slide.

Another choice would be a Kel-Tec P32. It should have less recoil than the LCP because it's a smaller round. But is the quality there, and is 32acp a sufficient round for self defense?

Is there any other gun you guys would recommend?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Need to choose a pocket pistol for 83 year old, under $300

Everybody has theyre opinion on what is a good rounds for self defense. My personal opinion is the one you can shoot the best. If you can shoot a 380 great due to less recoil but have a bad flinch with a 40S&W then of course you will be alot better using the 380.

Now that ive said that i presonally feel a 380 is a bare minimum for a carry firearm. It has enough power at a close range to take down someone efficently. If im going to recomend someone a firearm for someone for self defense i try to get them to get atleast a 9mm but preferably a 40S&W or larger if they dont have an issue with the recoil.

Ok now back to your guy. Take him to a range where you can rent a few handguns and let him try them out. Include a revolver in there too. Shooting one might change his mind about them.

(Bucks County)

The LCP is a great gun. I have seen posts claiming it's snappy. I then think Really???

You can go on YouTube and watch video of this snappiness and you too will say huh??

I guess it's subjective. I've always thought if you pay attention to recoil other than to control it, you don't shoot nearly enough.

I have a P-32 and it is definitely not snappy. Mine has been superbly reliable. You do have to be careful of rimlock, there's a kit for the magazine for that.
    I load it with BB lead hard cast, but rarely carry it because the P3 and LCP are virtually the same with a better cartridge.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Retaks View Post
    Everybody has theyre opinion on what is a good rounds for self defense. My personal opinion is the one you can shoot the best. If you can shoot a 380 great due to less recoil but have a bad flinch with a 40S&W then of course you will be alot better using the 380.

Now that ive said that i presonally feel a 380 is a bare minimum for a carry firearm. It has enough power at a close range to take down someone efficently. If im going to recomend someone a firearm for someone for self defense i try to get them to get atleast a 9mm but preferably a 40S&W or larger if they dont have an issue with the recoil.

Ok now back to your guy. Take him to a range where you can rent a few handguns and let him try them out. Include a revolver in there too. Shooting one might change his mind about them.
    We plan to go to the range soon. He says that his friend has a pocket gun that he can try, I don't know what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    The LCP is a great gun. I have seen posts claiming it's snappy. I then think Really???

You can go on YouTube and watch video of this snappiness and you too will say huh??

I guess it's subjective. I've always thought if you pay attention to recoil other than to control it, you don't shoot nearly enough.

I have a P-32 and it is definitely not snappy. Mine has been superbly reliable. You do have to be careful of rimlock, there's a kit for the magazine for that.
    I load it with BB lead hard cast, but rarely carry it because the P3 and LCP are virtually the same with a better cartridge.
    Is there a big difference in the recoil between the P32 and LCP?

(Cumberland County)

I own the lcp and think it's a great pocket gun, one of the best small ones out there imo. It is a little snappy though, even more so than my 238. I just bought a beretta tomcat for summer carry and will probably give it to the mrs or my daughter for a purse gun. Nice thing about it is the tip up barrel so you can load and not worry about racking the slide - my wife always struggles with that. I know some will say 32 acp is not "sufficient" for defense - but I've never bought into that - carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot/handle well - I'm not sure about you, but I wouldn't want a couple rounds of 32 in my chest or head if I was a bad buy

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    We plan to go to the range soon. He says that his friend has a pocket gun that he can try, I don't know what it is though.

Is there a big difference in the recoil between the P32 and LCP?
    The P-32 is like a .22.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I own the lcp and think it's a great pocket gun, one of the best small ones out there imo. It is a little snappy though, even more so than my 238. I just bought a beretta tomcat for summer carry and will probably give it to the mrs or my daughter for a purse gun. Nice thing about it is the tip up barrel so you can load and not worry about racking the slide - my wife always struggles with that. I know some will say 32 acp is not "sufficient" for defense - but I've never bought into that - carry what you are comfortable with and can shoot/handle well - I'm not sure about you, but I wouldn't want a couple rounds of 32 in my chest or head if I was a bad buy
    I thought about the Tomcat, but isn't that SA/DA? I think it would be better to get something with a consistent trigger pull for someone who is not a "firearm enthusiast." Keep it simple, you know?

(Cumberland County)

it is, but with that tip up feature, it is double action in your pocket but ready to fire. so first round nice longer pull, and at 83, if you need to fire multiple times, the next rounds are easier with the single action? just a thought. I agree with 32 vs 380 too - 32 is much less snap. i don't own any kel-tecs, don't like them so couldn't comment - i know many have them and enjoy them.
    i'd keep the tomcat in mind though for someone older that might have trouble racking the slide - having first round da and the rest sa could be a better feature than all da and having to rack the slide.
    good luck, find someone with all of the above and take them to the range - lol.

(Bucks County)

it is, but with that tip up feature, it is double action in your pocket but ready to fire. so first round nice longer pull, and at 83, if you need to fire multiple times, the next rounds are easier with the single action? just a thought. I agree with 32 vs 380 too - 32 is much less snap. i don't own any kel-tecs, don't like them so couldn't comment - i know many have them and enjoy them.
    i'd keep the tomcat in mind though for someone older that might have trouble racking the slide - having first round da and the rest sa could be a better feature than all da and having to rack the slide.
    For someone who has trouble racking slides, the Tomcat is a great choice. Easy to verify unloaded too. It does have a thumb safety.

(Bucks County)

I hear you about the DA/SA thing, but my concern was ease of operation and safety. It might confuse an inexperienced person if sometimes the trigger is long and heavy, and other times it is short and light. They might be expecting a long trigger pull and start to pull slack off the trigger, only to be surprised when it goes "bang." That could result in both poor performance, or worse, a serious accident.

Also, a DA/SA without a decocker is even more dangerous for an inexperienced shooter. They could end up inadvertently walking around with a cocked gun with the safety off.

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing but I just thought the best gun for self defense is one that has the fewest controls, and operates in a simple, predictable manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast