Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Need to choose a pocket pistol for 83 year old, under $300

If you're ok with the smaller calibers I think all of the suggestions so far are good. I agree with the above post that the P32 is like shooting a rimfire; no recoil to speak of. It allows you to keep multiple shots on target easily. The LCP is also a good choice as is the Tomcat. I'd say the Tomcat has less recoil than the LCP but I don't find the LCP snappy at all.

(York County)

I agree with your choice of the LCP with the criteria that you have ask for. As far as a "Pocket" gun goes. It is small, lightweight and flat. A very easy carry.
    I have a LCP/ctc laser and carry it when I need a very small, lightweight CCW. I also have a Kahr CM9 that is by far my preferred pocket carry gun most of the time. You could take a look at them as well.(cost a little more, but is a lot more gun too)

Make no mistake though, The LCP is not a easy gun to master and shoot well with its short thin grip, short barrel, almost non existent sights, and light weight, make it a gun you need to shoot a good bit to become proficient with.
    If the 83 yr old with basically no shooting experience, is going to practice and can become and stay proficient with the safe and effective operation of the LCP then that is a great pick for a pocket auto.

I also agree with the Tomcat rec. for the same reasons stated.

I have to ask why no revolvers? With no real gun experience a J frame or LCR may be more easy for him to learn... No jams to deal with, no question about loaded status, no slide to rack, better grip, etc.

Thats just my opinion, but best answer is to take him to shop/range and let him pick out what he likes best. Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

Either the LCP or the P32.

Only advantage of the LCP is the "slightly" heavier caliber.

P32's advantage is that it's smaller, lighter and has less recoil. If you load her up with 71 gn FMJ it will run with no problems while also providing increased penetration over typical hollow points (which tend to rim-lock). Or you can spend more money and go with Buffalo Bores product: (Valorius will attest)

http://www.buffalobore.co/index.php?...t_detail&p=132

A must is a pocket holster! Desantis Nemesis:

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...RS/The-Nemesis

I've owned both and still own the P32. I love carrying it in a ankle holster.

Last edited by Hawk; May 24th, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Philadelphia County)

The LCP is a great pocket gun. That being said, because your friend is 83 years old just make sure he can aim with it. The sights on the lcp might not be the greatest for an 83 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    it is, but with that tip up feature, it is double action in your pocket but ready to fire. so first round nice longer pull, and at 83, if you need to fire multiple times, the next rounds are easier with the single action? just a thought. I agree with 32 vs 380 too - 32 is much less snap. i don't own any kel-tecs, don't like them so couldn't comment - i know many have them and enjoy them.
    i'd keep the tomcat in mind though for someone older that might have trouble racking the slide - having first round da and the rest sa could be a better feature than all da and having to rack the slide.
    good luck, find someone with all of the above and take them to the range - lol.
    Pull the hammer back on the tomcat before firing and it's SA. Nice benefit of a hammer pistol.

(Bucks County)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bersa Thunder .380.

Certainly its larger than the LCP but it's still a small, concealable pistol that's roughly in your price range.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post

Certainly its larger than the LCP but it's still a small, concealable pistol that's roughly in your price range.
    touché

That actually sounds like a good idea. However, I also don't know too much about Bersas.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post

I was thinking the same thing. The bersa might be easier for him to hold. I have a couple P32's and they are easy to shoot. IMO, the P3AT or the LCP might be a bit snappy.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    The P-32 is like a .22.
    Yes.

I still find myself carrying mine sometimes. It has never let me down. Plus it's a very good one for the wife as well.

(Lawrence County)

I have a P32. And the experienced shooters here might be slightly misleading you on the recoil. It's not a heavy recoil by any means, but comparing it to a .22 is silly. The trouble with the P32 and other pocket pistols is also their biggest advantage. The size.

It disappears into a pocket.

But the grip is tiny and tough to get a good hold on with larger hands/longer fingers. So the recoil, however light, is more difficult to control than would be in a larger frame.

But I carry it everywhere, because of it's size, either as a backup or "Hey at least I'm armed a little."

Have him shoot one first. Also go bigger frame as another test.
    ~ All Knowledge Is Worth Having ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast