Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Carry at the Spectrum?

I'm off to see the Foo Fighters at the Spectrum tomarrow night, and I was wondering what kind of security they have there. Do they wand or pat you down? The idea of going into Philly unarmed is not appealing to me, and I'd rather not have to leave it in my car.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Carry at the Spectrum?

ive never been there but i woudl imagine they would at the least wand you, i would consider an ankle holster for going to any venue such as this,

anytime you bumping up against people in crowded areas i woudl consider ankle carry

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    ive never been there but i woudl imagine they would at the least wand you, i would consider an ankle holster for going to any venue such as this,

anytime you bumping up against people in crowded areas i woudl consider ankle carry
    Bad idea. They pat you down, all the way down your legs. The only thing that would work is a smartcarry. They don't pat down your package

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Bad idea. They pat you down, all the way down your legs. The only thing that would work is a smartcarry. They don't pat down your package
    Unless you're just too damn cute to resist

(Berks County)

Thanks guys. I had thought about ankle carry, but I don't have an ankle holster. I should have ordered one though...bad planning on my part.

If all they do is pat you down though, I'm in good shape, because I use a Smart Carry.

(Berks County)

Well, that was easy. No wanding, and just a real quick pat down along the sides of your waist and legs.

(Chester County)

Depends on the company. N.E.S. (the guys who do security at most concerts in the area, as well as at least the Phillies games) tends to be MOSTLY hands off. I've also never been able to see a "no weapons" sign either at Festival Pier or the Spectrum, but I've only been to a few shows.

I think that, to a degree, your attire will set the tone in HOW you are searched. If you are POLITE, decently dressed, and don't reek of booze or weed, you probably won't be given as much attention by the searching staff. Now I'm not saying they profile... but I think that if they are looking to keep alcohol and drugs out of the venue, that they would subconsciously target their enforcement to someone who appears to have recently been in possession of such material.

When I've been patted down, it's been underarms and sides of waist.... I could have worn an ankle holster or SmartCarry without trouble. On the downside, though, if they find a reason to revoke your ticket, then you don't get to see the show, and you may be out a LARGE chunk of change.

I think I saw some scattered wands in use at the Spectrum for a show in November, but only a couple of the lines had them, and they seemed to be being used to check purses for beer cans.

Also, at Penn's Landing this summer, I walked in with a small pocketknife that I had forgotten about... I apologized to the searcher, and he was cool with me keeping it (1.25" blade on a mini-leatherman). I did decide to leave my gun home that day, and when it became obvious what they were searching for, I trashed my can of OC, so as not to make an issue.
    Last edited by JonEMTP; March 4th, 2008 at 01:08 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    One of the times I went to the Tweeter Center in Camden the guy grabbed the hell out of my package. It was quite a surprise, as I've been there more times than I can remember and they've never gone that far.

Perhaps he thought I was attractive or something. I did ask him why he didn't take me out to dinner first...he didn't seem to get the joke.

(Berks County)

If it's any help, my wife was at the Wachovia Center (not the Spectrum) last night to see Bon Jovi, and she said there were no pat-downs or wanding taking place. At least none that she saw.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I know it's too late for you but for the record, there is no weapons search at the Spectrum for the Kixx games that I've been to.