Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New Member and Moving to Pittsburgh

Hello to all! I am new to this forum (just joined today) and i wanted to introduce myself and ask for advice! I currently live in North Carolina, but am moving to Pittsburgh in August to finish up school. I also happen to be an avid outdoorsman. I love hunting, fishing, shooting, etc. My true passion is handgun shooting. I love competing and plinking at whatever i can. Where in Pittsburgh can i shoot? Is there any ranges that any of you would recommend? Also, what kind of special CCW laws are there in Penn that i should be aware of when coming up there? Thanks for your time and i look foward to the ideas and input!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: New Member and Moving to Pittsburgh

Welcome! You'll probably be interested in Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club. Lots of competitions & classes, a nice indoor range that allows FMJ (rare around here), rifle to 300 yd, a steel pistol range, and a bunch of competition bays that are available most of the time, among other things. Feel free to PM me if you want to get together and check out the club.

Lots to learn about PA law. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.pafoa.org/law

And PLEASE, for God's sake, don't ever say "CCW permit". The acronym Nazi's will start screaming "LTCF! LTCF!"
    Last edited by scruff; May 22nd, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Welcome! You'll probably be interested in Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club. Lots of competitions & classes, a nice indoor range that allows FMJ (rare around here), rifle to 300 yd, a steel pistol range, and a bunch of competition bays that are available most of the time, among other things. Feel free to PM me if you want to get together and check out the club.
    +1

Lots to learn about PA law. Here's a good place to start:
    http://www.pafoa.org/law
    +2

And PLEASE, for God's sake, don't ever say "CCW permit". The acronym Nazi's will start screaming "LTCF! LTCF!"
    +3

LTCF = Licence To Cary Firearms

To add some real content here is the website for getting your LTCF through the Allegheny County Sheriff's Office.

http://sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms.html

It's a single page form and cost is $20 you cam mail/e-mail it in and then pick it up downtown. Get it ASAP! PA is very 2A friendly but they have some crappy transportation laws if you don't have a LTCF.

Welcome to Pittsburgh and PAFOA.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks you both! This license i can get at the Sheriff department, what does it do? I already have a carry permit for NC.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jawilliams16 View Post
    Thanks you both! This license i can get at the Sheriff department, what does it do? I already have a carry permit for NC.
    Will you be getting a PA driver license or remaining a NC resident? You would want the addresses to match permit<-> license I would think.

(Allegheny County)

I am going to keep my NC license and residency. I know that i can get an out of state permit in pennsylvania, that is the route i was planning to take.

(Allegheny County)

Looks like you're better off with your NC permit than we are with our PA resident permit, at least you can go to OH.
    I shoot at Rosedale which is inexpensive and I often find myself alone there in the evenings. Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club is the nicest but it is just too far from home for me. I guess it depends on what part of town you expect to live in, I suspect Oakland area?

(Allegheny County)

i will probably live in the southside area (if i have that correct.. lots of different neighborhoods for a small town guy to remember) or shadyside/oakland.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jawilliams16 View Post
    i will probably live in the southside area (if i have that correct.. lots of different neighborhoods for a small town guy to remember) or shadyside/oakland.
    Have you been here? Those areas are pretty different from one another.

I would compare them like this:

Southside is like living in the french quarter in New Orleans (loud partying on the main drag and scary stuff on the side streets)

Oakland is like living very urban, vertical real estate and privacy can be found in your closet.

Shadyside is like an intown suburb. Lots of apple fanboy hipsters hanging in coffee shops.

If you are planning to commute anyway, you might do better.

(Allegheny County)

yeah i have been to those areas, just got back actually. I am having quite a hard time finding an apartment/rental home that has a garage and lets me keep my dog. That is why all of the places i am looking at are so different. I will have to commute, but i will get a free bus pass through the school, so that shouldn't be an issue, just will take a little more time. I did look at some apartments in brentwood? it was located right off 51. It didn't seem like a bad area, just a little far away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast