Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Ruger MK-III OR Browning Buckmark Camper

Looking for the Pros and Cons between these two desired firearms,mostly Target informal shooting Hunting,and possible optics for these tweo,Why would you choose one over the other ? Thank You for your advice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger MK-III OR Browning Buckmark Camper

Buckmark Camper. Take down on the rugers is difficult.

I was choosing between these two a couple years ago. I went with the Browning just because I liked the grip better. Also the Browning with the cheap rubber grip was better for me than the really sweet looking wood grip. I never owned a Ruger but I really think you can't go wrong with either one.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Honestly, I think this is a Chevy vs. Ford argument. No real winner.

I own a Buckmark and love it. Good friend owns a Ruger and loves it. I shoot them both and they're both reliable and accurate as heck.

Pick whichever you like based on looks, feel, price, etc., you can't go wrong with either.

(Cumberland County)

Not sure what they are going for, but if you are interested in the Buckmark Camper Whisper, Buds has them new for $380. They are currently only available to VIP members, but if that is a good price, it's easy and inexpensive to become a VIP, I did a few months ago and it has paid for itself already with advance opportunities to buy hard to get or used guns A was a little skeptical at first to do it, thought it was a slick way for them to get more money, but I think it's worth it. Good luck!

Ahhh, I checked GB and a few other places and seems $380 is pretty average - oh well - lol
    Last edited by cruzans; May 20th, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: checked prices

(Beaver County)

If you ever plan on running one suppressed the Browning is a simple barrel swap while you have to buy a new reciever transferred via FFL for the Ruger. I own both and it's not really the take down of the Ruger. It's the reassembly that can be stubborn.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    If you ever plan on running one suppressed the Browning is a simple barrel swap while you have to buy a new reciever transferred via FFL for the Ruger. I own both and it's not really the take down of the Ruger. It's the reassembly that can be stubborn.
    If you are going to suppress the Ruger, the barrel can be turned down and threaded for the suppressor for much less than a new barrel assembly. I have one (Mark III with a Spectre) and I love it. The reassembly of a newer model Ruger can be challenging the first few times but once you have the steps down, it's not that hard.

For the Ruger there are a myriad of after market parts you can get for it and typically the Rugers are tack drivers right out of the box. Like any .22 though, you may have to try several different brands of ammo to see which one it likes the best.

Also, check Gunbroker, you very well may find a Mark I or Mark II at a real good price. I just picked up a lightly used 6" Mark I from a gun shop in Concord, NH for $199.

For optics, my suppressed Ruger has a Millet red dot on it. You can find just about anything you want, from a laser, red dot, or glass optic for it.

In the end either the Browning or the Ruger should do everything you want. I don't think you will have buyers remorse no matter which one you get.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

After a while the dissassembly and reassembly of the Ruger III becomes second nature. Can't speak to the other weapons but I am happy with the MKIII.

(Northampton County)

+1 for the Buckmark Camper!

After spending a lot of time shooting my buddy's ruger at the range, I went to Cabela's to pick one up but they had a Buckmark Camper right next to it cheaper than any of the Rugers. I asked the guy about it and here they put the wrong price sticker on it. They did me honest and gave it to me for that price, and the rest is history. I've never looked back and actually happier with the Buckmark. The grip has better ergonomics for my hands. Having the stock green fiber optic front site out of the box is also awesome. My first shot I took with it was touching dead center bullseye and the rest were all within an inch of that one.

Two of my buddies I regularly shoot with actually ended up going out and buying a buckmark after shooting mine at the range.

At first it was a little finicky depending on ammo, it only really liked the federal 525 packs. But now (after 3,000+) rounds it eats anything I throw into it. Each range trip I put anywhere from 100 to 300 rounds through it.

If I could find the right holster and wasn't skeptical about carrying a .22 it would easily be my daily CCW.

Like the guys said, I think this is more of a Chevy vs. Ford thing (even though Chevy is the better truck ;-)). Try and shoot both of them and then decide for yourself. I've never shot the Ruger 22/45 but I've heard good things about it because of the ergonomics of the grip angle.

Try and see what feels the best and shoots the best for you and go from there. Chances are you will be happy with either, and if not then you can get both and have one for each hand :-).

Happy Shooting and good luck with your purchase!
    "The Earth is for the living." -Thomas Jefferson

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Buckmark Camper. Take down on the rugers is difficult.
    Luckly, ruger rarely needs to be taken apart to clean
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast