Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Anybody been to Wilkinsburg lately?

about 20 years ago i read an article written by a fellow who would move as soon as blacks started moving into his neighborhood. the kicker was that the author was black too but he was tired of seeing what happened to neighborhoods as soon as other blacks moved in.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaBimmerGuy View Post
    about 20 years ago i read an article written by a fellow who would move as soon as blacks started moving into his neighborhood. the kicker was that the author was black too but he was tired of seeing what happened to neighborhoods as soon as other blacks moved in.
    I'm sure it has more to do with pride of ownership than anything else. I have black neighbors who have properties (and cars for that matter) that are uber-sweet.

Because they own them and have a vested interest in them.

If Sect 8 was a rent-to-buy, and the tenants felt that a coat of paint and some flowerbeds were worth their time - they'd be more inclined to do it.

As it is - they view their surrounding environments as "not theirs", so who cares.

Think back to the 80's when many of us had FFLs out of our homes...

One or two bozos - pretty sure that one of them was busted in Philthydelphia - sold handguns out of their trunks. Without any 4473's. Ruined it for all "home" FFL holders under Klinton.

Anyway; getting a box of handguns from SOG or J&G delivered to your door was far easier and less risky than buying and reselling crack.

Feds found the Philly guy by backtracking S/Ns from crime scenes. 4473's were the white man's law, not his.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Because they own them and have a vested interest in them.
    when i was really young we had to rent a house for a few years. my mother hammered into us that we needed to take good care of it because it wasnt ours.

im guessing that it is just a lack of pride period coupled with an insane demand for respect.

(Allegheny County)

I will be curious as to what the long term impact of the project displacement will have. Northview Heights in the North Side are almost empty and they are ready to start demolishing them for the new construction. I know talking to guys from Mill vale, Etna, and Sharps burg that a whole bunch of refugees have moved into those areas.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I will be curious as to what the long term impact of the project displacement will have. Northview Heights in the North Side are almost empty and they are ready to start demolishing them for the new construction. I know talking to guys from Mill vale, Etna, and Sharps burg that a whole bunch of refugees have moved into those areas.
    I'll bet it will be like the areas surrounding the now closed Broadhead Manor.tom.
    N.R.A LIFE MEMBER GOA annual member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I know talking to guys from Mill vale, Etna, and Sharps burg that a whole bunch of refugees have moved into those areas.
    This is true. It has all but ruined the area, never mind it HAS ruined the area.
    It wasn't great before but now it is getting scary and I am seeing behaviour like I have never seen before. The police are overwhelmed, the property values are dropping and people like me are just trying to get out.

(Allegheny County)

I refer to wilkinsburg as "we'llkillyinzburg. I drive down Penn Ave nightly for work. (usually between midnight and 4am) I travel to worse places in the city on a nightly basis, but it sure leaves a LOT to be desired.
    I know a lil about a lot, but I don't know a lot about anything!

I come back to Pittsburgh about every other year from the left coast. I was born and raised in Forest Hills and worked at Braverman's as a college kid for several years in the early 70s. I used to walk from home to the Wilkinsburg library on a Saturday, hit some of the shops in town and walk home again. Many good friends of mine lived in Wilkinsburg. It is sad to see the state of the town now although it is nice to see that Braverman's is still there. I knew Bernie, a quiet guy who could kick anyone's butt and was the nicest gentleman anyone could know.

Sad times how things have changed.

(Allegheny County)

that whole town is in shambles, but most of the surrounding area is doing fairly well. i was a mailman out there for about three years. bravermans was part of my route. i've seen it all over there. a few years back when there were about 5 or 6 shootings/murders in broad daylight within a week or two, literally on the same street i was delivering on..is when i knew i had to get out. my last day on that route i was in pauls court and i hear gunshots, turn around and they are shooting at each other about 15 feet behind me. i jump in my truck, take off...and when i got to a safe area i realized that i had a flat tire. dont know if a bullet took it out, or if it was from me pulling out the way i did. nonetheless, i was in the line of fire and dont really ever have plans on going back.

Just about all the towns built for working people in Allegheny County went to crap when the mills started shutting down. Turtle Creek, McKee'sport/rocks, Dusquesne, etc. etc.. While I'll be the first to agree that observing an overwhelming amount of poor minorities does not indicate a prosperous community, to say the least, I think it is wrongheaded to assume that a few section 8'ers moved in to a perfectly functional community and it quickly went to pot.

Often these communities go to hell after the jobs leave and the property owners make them available to public assisted renters since prices have dropped so much due to lack of demand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast