Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me about all kinds of snub nose revolvers

OK, so I have a Taurus 605 I think it is....its going to be going up in the classifieds here soon. I absolutely love the gun. Despite having owned a handful of Taurus's I actually really really really like this gun and I don't want to sell it. But in order to fund other gun buys I have to sell this one in order to buy another one to replace it. I can't have my cake and eat it too.

The reasons I'm selling it, is its actually TOO solid. Its a GREAT gun for range shooting and carrying around. But I go jogging. And this little, but solid gun just feels like a brick and I need something lighter.

I want to stay in the 357 family so that I have more ammo options, but I think I'm going to go all weight oriented and just get a .38 spcl And I'm thinking the Ruger LCR.

But I'd like to see what else is out there. I know the LCR comes in 357 and 38, I saw the smith and Wesson I think its an Air weight? And I saw Taurus has some poly snub noses, but to be honest they look like they came right out of china. I pushed the button in for the cylinder release and the spring was pinging and making noise. I'm like, yeah, ok...we're done with these ones.

What else is there?
    [account deactivated]

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Tell me about all kinds of snub nose revolvers

if your not worried about cost the smith scandiums are seriously like a feather. ive never shot one but id imagine recoils harsh but then i like recoil and dont shy away, dont know your feelings on battered hands and i hear nothing but good about the lcr so thats not a bad way to go either.

i had one of those small taurii too, a 651 cia .357 i really liked that gun but it was heavy although accurate it hit the road after my back surgery to pay bills as insurance companies that deal in disability are a fuckin joke. i may have to go snub shopping too.

(Beaver County)

As discussed earlier in previous threads my GF lovers her Smith 360. It's a 2"snubby in 357. Great little carry piece but just brutal recoil at the range with 357 ammo. Remember it's all a trade off. The lighter it is to carry the worse the recoil at the range to practice with it. The 360 is all steel so it's a bit heavier then the special alloy guns buy we're only talking a few ounces. I know the 360 is a bit pricey. If I remember she paid in the low 600 range for hers.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Philadelphia County)

I like the S&W 642, 15 oz empty, internal hammer so nothing to snag. Also you can still get them without the stupid lock.

Thanks guys

I just discovered the bodyguard again...forgot about that one.

Hey Nate, do you want to buy my gun? ... we can meet halfway or I can ship.
    [account deactivated]

(Centre County)

My 442 is my main summer carry cause it slips into my pocket with ease. I think jogging might be too much to ask with it flopping around in my pocket. Maybe a IWB deal?

I recently found a TALO LCR that I loved in gray (they have them in OD, too) but didn't get it because of a need for a plinker .22LR revolver. It seemed lighter to me and felt great in hand. If I had to do it all over again, it probably would have been the Ruger over the 442.

If your a serious jogger and can stomach carrying a .380, the new Sig is amazing and the LCP is light and pocketable. I'd say these would be easier to carry but you give up a lot of lovin' to the .357 your used to.

The 442 (cause ppl like pics).....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Chester County)

I picked up a Colt Agent in .38 spl at a gun show for a BUG with a bang. It's got an aluminum frame and weighs in at 14 oz so I don't feel the weight at all carrying it in an ankle holster. I also carry it in a pocket holster in cargo pants, jeans and dress pants, as well as in a jacket inside breast pocket and outter side pockets and never feel it's weight. I prefer a SA/DA so a hammerless isn't for me, but with my holsters there's never a problem with the hammer snagging and the Agent has a full shroud over the ejector rod so that's not an issue either. It's got a short, thin grip and conceals nicely in those carry methods, so no one's ever asked me "is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?". Well maybe once or twice, but I was carrying it in my jacket pocket at the time.

The obvious trade off is, as already mentioned the recoil of any light-weight snubby. My kids don't like to shoot it, but I was weened on a S&W 66 using .357 mag, so it doesn't bother me in the least. Also, I wouldn't even consider feeding it.357 mag, not even .38 +P, but it's a snubby BUG, so I'm not going to be trying to drop a BG at 25 yards. If I need it for SD, someone has to be right on top of me, literally. But it shoots true and carries nicely, so with Speer LE Gold Dot HP ammo I have no doubt it'll be up to the task I bought it for provided I am.

(Lancaster County)

no thanks i like little wheelies with either shrouded or concealed hammers, i can not get over the thought of a pointy hammer jabbing me in the leg if in pocket or ribs on the waist while sitting. thanks for the offer though. freakin ar build bout got me strapped anyway

I had a 642 and while it was nice to carry around, I hated shooting it. Bought a Kel Tec PF9 instead. Much nicer to shoot and carries well, too.

My wife has a Ruger SP101. It's built like a tank and weighs about as much. With the right holster it's a breeze to carry, but I would never recommend it as a pocket gun. A benefit of the SP101 is that you can shoot +P all day.

Like others have said, there are always trade-offs when considering a pocket gun.

(Lancaster County)

It sounds like you are able to form your own a opinion and get past the bashers so give the Taurus 85 Ultra Lite a chance too. I've shot countless regular and +P loads through mine without any issues. It's no Smith but certainly gets the job done for a fraction of the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast