Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Check Card Jurisdiction Dilemna

Hi, new to the forum. I'm about to apply for my ltcf and have several friends who already have in several counties. Just hung up on one step, and they seem unsure.

It seems well-established that Montgomery County makes its citizens obtain a check card from their local police departments, despite it being the county's responsibility. Whatever.

My issue is that I live in Horsham township limits, but have an Ambler mailing address (because the postal service is silly), so my license and such read "Ambler, 19002." Given that both police stations are equidistant from my home, which actually governs me?

Much thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Check Card Jurisdiction Dilemna

Quote Originally Posted by Faravahar View Post
    Hi, new to the forum. I'm about to apply for my ltcf and have several friends who already have in several counties. Just hung up on one step, and they seem unsure.

It seems well-established that Montgomery County makes its citizens obtain a check card from their local police departments, despite it being the county's responsibility. Whatever.

My issue is that I live in Horsham township limits, but have an Ambler mailing address (because the postal service is silly), so my license and such read "Ambler, 19002." Given that both police stations are equidistant from my home, which actually governs me?

Much thanks.
    NEITHER ONE.

You are under ZERO legal requirement to fill out or participate in the filling out of any police check card.

Your sheriff's requirement for your to do this is illegal and not within the requirements of the LTCF application as created by the state police per the UFA which is to be UNIFORM across all counties in the state of PA.

The "investigation" of the applicant is the Sheriff's job, not the applicants

18 Pa. C.S. § 6109. Licenses.
    (d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall investigate the applicant's record of criminal convictions, shall investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year, shall investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety and shall investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) and shall conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency or mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to firearm ownership).

Your LTCF should look like this for you county (ONLY 1 page), pay 20 bucks, list 2 references (cant be family members) and get a response within 45days
    http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...ryFirearms.pdf
    Last edited by BimmerJon; May 18th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you Bimmerjon for an absolutely useless rant.

I believe that the OP should go to the Horsham PD as he lives within the boro.
    It is probably worth phoning them just to be sure.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    NEITHER ONE.

You are under ZERO legal requirement to fill out or participate in the filling out of any police check card.

Your sheriff's requirement for your to do this is illegal and not within the requirements of the LTCF application as created by the state police per the UFA which is to be UNIFORM across all counties in the state of PA.

The "investigation" of the applicant is the Sheriff's job, not the applicants

Your LTCF should look like this for you county (ONLY 1 page), pay 20 bucks, list 2 references (cant be family members) and get a response within 45days
    http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...ryFirearms.pdf
    You're right, but it looks like the OP doesn't care about that since he knows the sheriff is wrong to require that he obtain a police check card and his response is:
    Whatever.
    So I guess my feeling about his jurisdictional question is: Whatever.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Thank you Bimmerjon for an absolutely useless rant.

I believe that the OP should go to the Horsham PD as he lives within the boro.
    It is probably worth phoning them just to be sure.
    Far from a useless rant. I'm informing the OP of the LAW.
    What he decides to do with that info is up to him.

But we should at least help him understand what he is being asked to do is illegal and unnecessary.

But we should at least help him understand what he is being asked to do is illegal and unnecessary.
    ... says the guy in Delco, who doesn't have to deal with this. How about you move to the OP's community, refuse to go through the process, have your LTCF denied, then coin up and go to court to fight against the check card?

It's always the people who don't have to live with the consequences who say that everyone else should fight.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    ... says the guy in Delco, who doesn't have to deal with this. How about you move to the OP's community, refuse to go through the process, have your LTCF denied, then coin up and go to court to fight against the check card?

It's always the people who don't have to live with the consequences who say that everyone else should fight.
    Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that had to go back and forth to the Delco Sheriffs office OVER 7 times because they refused to follow the law.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that had to lean over the counter and hold the clerks hand to help her fill out a paper LTCF because she SWORE it didn't exist and I HAD TO apply for a plastic one.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that got into verbal, heated debates with the Sheriff/Deputies because I "had to" pay 46.00 instead of 25.. (at the time).

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that was told my reference "had to" be from Delco.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that got the Sheriff office to follow the law, I paid 25 dollars, I used references from another county, I got my paper license and all within 45 days.

Don't cry to me that I don't live in your county and I can't fight your battles.
    I handle mine brother.

The OP can do whatever he wants... I don't care... I simply wanted to make him aware of what the official process is, that he might not of been aware of.
    What he does with that knowledge is on him.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that had to go back and forth to the Delco Sheriffs office OVER 7 times because they refused to follow the law.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that had to lean over the counter and hold the clerks hand to help her fill out a paper LTCF because she SWORE it didn't exist and I HAD TO apply for a plastic one.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that got into verbal, heated debates with the Sheriff/Deputies because I "had to" pay 46.00 instead of 25.. (at the time).

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that was told my reference "had to" be from Delco.

Yes... I'm the "guy from Delco" that got the Sheriff office to follow the law, I paid 25 dollars, I used references from another county, I got my paper license and all within 45 days.

Don't cry to me that I don't live in your county and I can't fight your battles.
    I handle mine brother.

The OP can do whatever he wants... I don't care... I simply wanted to make him aware of what the official process is, that he might not of been aware of.
    What he does with that knowledge is on him.

Well guess what Toto , he isn't in Delco .

OP. It does not matter what your postal mailing is, it goes by the actual municipality. If you aren't sure, look to see who you pay your local taxes to or if you rent, ask the landlord . Your mailing address is for mailing only.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by k9loki View Post
    Well guess what Toto , he isn't in Delco .

and it's going to continue until people stop caving to the illegal demands.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    and it's going to continue until people stop caving to the illegal demands.
    Then those who have this big issue with it can move to Montco and take up the fight , because I personally have ZERO problems with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast