Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Monroe Cty Courthouse Security

Went in to apply for a new passport. Told the first guard I had a firearm to check. He asked for my "permit" and I replied that I have a License to Carry Firearms. He said it is a "permit" and I said "license." He had me walk through the metal detector and of course it beeped. (They did not have me empty my pockets so I had my auto-fire keys, ninja throwing coins and assault cell phone with me throughout my stay in the courthouse.) He opened a locker and I placed the firearm in it still in the holster. I asked if I should put the knife and spare ammo in there too and he agreed that I should. The second guard said "come over here young fella" to finish the paperwork. I stood in place and looked all around. The female guard told me to come on over. I told her I was looking for the young fella they were talking to. Got a smile for that one. The first guard referred to the "permit" again. I told him that if he could find the word "permit" anywhere on the card that I would buy him lunch for a week. He didn't look very hard. No problem getting it all back when I was done upstairs. As I started to get my stuff out, two of the guards stood back and blocked access to my area until I was done. I asked if they were sealing off the area because of me and they said it was. Have to be careful of firearms that jump out of the holster and start spraying lead on their own I guess.

Default Re: Monroe Cty Courthouse Security

Permit? I ain't got no permit. I don't need no permit. I don't have to show you any stinking permit!

"auto-fire keys, ninja throwing coins and assault cell phone" that wins you rep.
    lol, i think the old parking deck is a bigger hazard than half the s**t i take out of my pockets.
    my belt buckle / steel-toe sneakers set off the detector without fail, every time i go through.
    they never wand anywhere close to my shoes.

Edit: if you ever notice a bright orange smart phone, it might be mine.
    EDITEDIT: my cellphone is the new sentient Xtreme defense model, it's aware that you are aware of it's awareness and it wants you to perish for it.
    Last edited by fallenleader; May 17th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

So? I have to ask (because your story didn't mention it), after you checked you gun did they make you walk back through the metal detector?

Reason I ask is they have let me into the courthouse twice now after I checked my gun, never checking me again to see if I had anything else.

Nope, never went through the metal detector again. Usually they take the cell phone because it can take pictures but they had no idea if I had a phone or anything else for that matter. (By the way, I mentioned once that WBRE does not seem to have any problem getting a camera into the courthouse to take pictures. I was told it was OK because they are media)

(Monroe County)

Sounds like all of this is just more security theater. I hope they feel safe in their ivory tower.

protect the elites from the citizens(terrorists)
    no one would ever strike from any where before the checkpoint -_- such a waste of time to check in just to run in to drop off a piece of paper. and so many people are allowed to pass right through.
    i mean, aren't postmen always on the verge of losing it?

(please enjoy my post for the humor it tries to be)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

I was wondering too about the rescan after you checked the firearm. That is pretty sad that they act so tough about security, and then do such a half-ass job when they actually have to do something. If I was watching this happen, I might be inclined to call them out on it.

I have a question though, since I've never checked a firearm at a courthouse before. How big are the lockers they provide, and has anyone ever brought something that couldn't fit? I know it would probably result in SWAT being brought in, but if you were to open carry an AR into the courthouse and ask to check it, would they have a locker big enough to check it? Also, do they make you unload, or can you check holster and all and not take the gun out?

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I was wondering too about the rescan after you checked the firearm. That is pretty sad that they act so tough about security, and then do such a half-ass job when they actually have to do something. If I was watching this happen, I might be inclined to call them out on it.

I have a question though, since I've never checked a firearm at a courthouse before. How big are the lockers they provide, and has anyone ever brought something that couldn't fit? I know it would probably result in SWAT being brought in, but if you were to open carry an AR into the courthouse and ask to check it, would they have a locker big enough to check it? Also, do they make you unload, or can you check holster and all and not take the gun out?
    Okay, seriously, why the HELL would you walk into a courthouse with an AR? Do you want to die or something? I mean seriously that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard ... sorry but truth be truth.

Secondly, no you don't unload. You unholster the weapon and put it in the box and you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Okay, seriously, why the HELL would you walk into a courthouse with an AR?
    Because you can? I'm not saying I would, or that anyone ever would, but that doesn't stop the fact that it would still be legal, and that the courthouse would still be required to provide a place to check it.*

And thanks for answering the part about unloading. I wouldn't put it past anyone to require people unload 'for their safety', yet it would be easier and safer just to leave it in the holster and check the whole thing.

And sorry if this is off topic, but this is my local courthouse, and it's nice to see they are following the rules, even if they suck at the actual security part.

*I don't know the exact wording of the locker rules, but if they use the definition of firearm that doesn't include long-arms, then I guess that would mean they don't need to provide storage any larger than a handgun or SBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast