Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Black powder smokeless powder in Sharps

I have a repro Sharps model 1859 that uses a paper cartridge and percussion cap. I can get three or four shots with black powder or pyrodex and then the fouling freezes the breech. I need a powder that will produce less fouling and allow me more shots between cleanings. I know there are substitutes for black powder and use smokeless in my 45-70 Sharps. What I want to know is which alternative will give me the least powder fouling. Blackhorn 209 is supposed to be clean but I don't know if a musket cap will set it off. Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Black powder smokeless powder in Sharps

I've had pretty good luck with Pyrodex during firing sessions with other type arms, but you definitely have to clean it as good, or better, than you would black powder. I've yet to have my tight gapped 1851 seize up due to fouling.

I heard Cleanshot makes a pretty clean burning powder, but I've never tried it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

what repro rifle do you have , shiloh a pedersoli , iab tristar ?
    sometimes changing to a differant powder isnt always a cure for this , what are you using to lube everything with ...

try triple 7 2f you have to cut your load by 15%

It's a Pedersoli. I know about the o-ring conversion option but thought that since fouling was causing the breech block to freeze up after a few shots a cleaner powder might give me a few shots more. I lube with white lithium jelly. I 've been tempted to try some 3031 or 4064 since a Sharps action is pretty strong. I have an IAB sharps in 45-70.

first things first ... DO NOT USE ANY SMOKELESS POWDER IN A ,59 SHARPS
    bad things can and will happen .
    next time you think about using smokless in it put the rifle up on your shoulder and consider the hammer and nipple position reletive to you face and eyes .
    and then think about all the hot gases and little tiny copper fragments when the rifle goes off and the higher pressures blow the hammer back .. that is what is most likly to happen even with a very moderate smokeless load ... then think about what may happen if the block fails

now as far as lube goes , i never had any luck with white lithium , i experianced the same problems 4-5 shots and its locked up

i switched to a thin coating of lubri plate ( easy to find at napa or any place that sells big truck parts and sometimes tractot supply places )

another that works very well is the high temp anti sieze ( copper colored )
    but as you likely already know its a messy pain

the best thing i did to my pedersoli was to o ring it
    Last edited by nononsense; May 20th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks. I have thus far resisted the temptation to try smokeless powder. I have tried both the lubricants you mentioned and they don't work any better on my gun than the white lithium. Have you tried any of the black powder alternatives yourself ( other than pyrodex which is as dirty as any black powder) in that gun?

(Adams County)

what you are experincing is a common problem with the design. i have read where they had to spit on the breach blocks to keep them working. i have seen use a little spry of windex to get the blocks loose. another thing is to check the cutter plate to make sure it is tight and seals. the more wear the more room for fouling.

all that said i can tell you smokless powder is not the answer.

i cant help with the fake powders as i have never used them .
    i think if you dont want to go threw the expense of converting to an o ring .
    your best bet is as bob mentioned keep a squirt bottle of something on hand and live with it if you dont shoot it a whole lot .

something like the napa water soluable oil in a squirt bottle would be easiest to use .

maybe try a differant powder . i used to use goex untill i heard about the 2010 lot of the kik powder being very good
    it produces a softer moister fouling then goex for me .