Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: .22 pistol choices

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    I ended up getting the Smith 22A. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow.
    How about a range report. How did you like it?
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    How about a range report. How did you like it?
    I have never shot a .22 semi-auto pistol before and have nothing to compare it to. For whatever reason, I always thought shooting a .22 pistol just wouldn't be fun after shooting larger calibers all the time. Like shooting an AR and then picking up a 22 rifle. Just too boring or something. But it's not like that. They are fun and wish I would have gotten one sooner.
    That said, I like my S&W 22A. Mine is the cheapest model they sell. I wish now I bought one with the fiber optic front site. I may buy a new barrel for this or just buy a nicer 22 all together. Out of the box, it had quite a few FTE's the first trip to the range. So many that I thought" Man, this is why I never owned a 22 pistol. But within the first 100 rnds, it settled down pretty good. Though I still get a few now and then, it's not a problem. It could be just the ammo cause I bought a brick of American Eagle. I don't know about 22's but my PLR16 hates that stuff.
    Accuracy is good, as good as my ability anyway. My 15 year old shoots it better than me, and according to him, its because I'm just old. Whatever!
    I've shot about 400 rns with it and cleaned it once. Pretty easy to take down and clean. It comes with 2 recoil spacers......whats the deal with those? Do they wear out fast or what? I dropped an empty magazine on the floor and broke the floorplate so I'm down to one mag. Overall I like it, but again, I have nothing to compare it to.
    I'd like to buy some steel targets for it. Any thoughts on good targets and where to purchase them at a good price would be appreciated. Also some advice on good 22 ammo would help too. Thanks for asking,gunny

Pghplr got himslef a .22 ? Woah, now I will have to go shoot with him, just to get him hooked on the single 6 !!! Have fun with it, Ill try to setup a time we can get together and shoot, ps hows the .357 reloading going?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Pghplr got himslef a .22 ? Woah, now I will have to go shoot with him, just to get him hooked on the single 6 !!!
    Frenchy, we definately have to hook up. Seems like the central and east coast members are always getting together. Why should they have all the fun? We'll have to get 41Redhawk to come too. We'll work on it.

(Washington County)

C'mon down to washington county! Every tuesday night we have a .22 bullseye league at Long Branch Sportsman's Club. 50' indoor heated range, $5 to shoot 2 relays, 60 rounds total. ANY .22 handgun is allowed. Usually it's autos and red-dots, but open sights or revolvers allowed.

I shot it with a friends S&W K-22 revolver last week and managed to pull out a 230 (usually I'm in the 260's). Not bad for shooting rapid fire double action, and the first time with that gun.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Quote Originally Posted by pghplr View Post
    I have never shot a .22 semi-auto pistol before and have nothing to compare it to. ... They are fun and wish I would have gotten one sooner.
    Out of the box, it had quite a few FTE's the first trip to the range. So many that I thought" Man, this is why I never owned a 22 pistol. But within the first 100 rnds, it settled down pretty good. Though I still get a few now and then, it's not a problem. It could be just the ammo cause I bought a brick of American Eagle. I don't know about 22's but my PLR16 hates that stuff.
    It comes with 2 recoil spacers......whats the deal with those? Do they wear out fast or what? I dropped an empty magazine on the floor and broke the floorplate so I'm down to one mag. Overall I like it, but again, I have nothing to compare it to.
    I'd like to buy some steel targets for it. Any thoughts on good targets and where to purchase them at a good price would be appreciated. Also some advice on good 22 ammo would help too. Thanks for asking,gunny
    FTF's with most .22 semiautos are related to ammo and cleaning, IMO. .22's are notroriously picky. None of mine will shoot Remington GB's without all kinds of problems and I see folks blasting away with them without a problem. Try several brands. I do fine with Federal Value Pack or the Walmart Federal bulk. Mine group tighter with CCI and Federal Champion standard velocity. I started cleaning mine every time I went to the range and then backed off to see how long I could go. Turns out that cleaning it about every other trip to the range, trying Breakfree and lightening up on the lube oil did away with almost all FTF's. Now if the round doesn't fire, it won't fire in two MKIII's or a single six.

The plastic pads are recoil buffers and probably should be changed every 2k-3k rounds. You can get those from S&W, Brownells or Numrich. Try calling S&W. Rumor has it that sniffling and blubbering tends to get a couple of freebies.

Frenchy: single six's are terrible. They are like potato chips, one is just not enough. They lurk in cases in gunshops, just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting as they come by.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by greener View Post
    Frenchy: single six's are terrible. They are like potato chips, one is just not enough. They lurk in cases in gunshops, just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting as they come by.
    You are so right on! Those Single Sixes are serious fun to shoot. I have a .22LR/.22Mag Stainless Hunter, have my eye on a used .17HMR Single Six, blued with 6-1/2" barrel.

Fitch

(Beaver County)

I have had a Ruger Mark II with standard barrel for years. I love the gun and it is very accurate. The only thing I would prefer is a bull barrel. I am not familiar with the other guns you mentioned but the Ruger is a winner in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with the Ruger. My current favorite is the Mark III with the heavy bull barrel. - very accurate and drilled and tapped for red dot sight base. I have owned two Buckmarks - one sent back because the trigger would not reset - gave the other to my shooting partner. The Sig trigger was too touchy. Don't discount the S&W 617 10 shot revolver. I also have one of those with a red dot sight - first three sight in shots at 15 yards were touching. I agree about the field stripping on the Ruger, but I find the best way to clean all of my pistols is with solvent, brush and air compressor - be sure to wear a face shield - and I clean often. Go for quality and what you like.

check into the walther p22, have no experience with them but ive heard good things

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast