Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Beretta Neos Feed Problem

I have a new Neos that I took to the range last week. I was shooting CCI Standard Velocity, lead round nose and I was getting a feeding problem with a jam at the ramp/breech almost every magazine. I wrote to Beretta and got this answer:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Soft lead bullets don't feed well in the NEOS. From personal experience with my own NEOS, I found that copper coated bullets always feed better. The soft lead ones will sometimes hang up on the feed ramp, which is the problem that you are describing.

Other than perhaps polishing the feed ramp, there isn't much more that can be done to remedy this type of issue. I would stick with copper coated bullets, which are offered by most ammunition manufacturers.

Have any of you experienced this? Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BobFromBucks; February 12th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Beretta Neos Feed Problem

Great question Bob. When I got my Neos I got the CCI Blazer brick and did notice a couple of rounds that FTFeed and some that FTFire. But I chalked that up to rimfire ammo proclivities.

Personally I use the 36gr. JHPs from Winchester and Federal. Have not noticed too many problems. Again, the occasional FTFire, but that's rimfire for you. Cleaning up the feed ramp may work better, but i believe it's already polished. Buy a box of copper JHPs and see if they work. Or we can go shooting together and you can try some of mine to see if there is a difference.

My problem with the Neos is the trigger. Way too many times the trigger doesn't reset and I have to flick it forward. Thinking of selling it and getting a .22LR revolver, but that's a different story.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Great question Bob. When I got my Neos I got the CCI Blazer brick and did notice a couple of rounds that FTFeed and some that FTFire. But I chalked that up to rimfire ammo proclivities.

Personally I use the 36gr. JHPs from Winchester and Federal. Have not noticed too many problems. Again, the occasional FTFire, but that's rimfire for you. Cleaning up the feed ramp may work better, but i believe it's already polished. Buy a box of copper JHPs and see if they work. Or we can go shooting together and you can try some of mine to see if there is a difference.

My problem with the Neos is the trigger. Way too many times the trigger doesn't reset and I have to flick it forward. Thinking of selling it and getting a .22LR revolver, but that's a different story.
    Thanks for the suggestions on ammo. I'll give them a try. My ramp looks like a mirror so I don't think that was the problem. A friend was with me and we tried some of his copper cheaper ammo without a problem. It was obvious they were a little looser in the mag.

No problems with the trigger. Is yours still under warranty? Happy to go shooting with you. You're only a few minutes away from me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions on ammo. I'll give them a try. My ramp looks like a mirror so I don't think that was the problem. A friend was with me and we tried some of his copper cheaper ammo without a problem. It was obvious they were a little looser in the mag.

No problems with the trigger. Is yours still under warranty? Happy to go shooting with you. You're only a few minutes away from me.
    It may still be under warranty. Forget how long ago I bought it, but it's not that big of a deal. It's for cheap plinking, not competitions. Might still get a revolver...
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Cumberland County)

having experienced a similar problem with my p22 i found regular cleaning and lubrication along with high velocity ammo the cure. just because it is a .22 does not mean you should not expect reliability. my benelli target gun fires hundreds of rounds before detail cleaning without any problems. i strongly suggest trying different brands and types of ammo, i,m sure you,ll find one that will work well.

(Monroe County)

I have no feeding problem with my NEOS, she eats everything i feed her, however i think Beretta gaVE YOU GOOd advice, if you are going to shoot lead make sure that the rAMP is spotlessly clean, bim, that lead were not intended for auto loaders but were invented duing the revolver era and before that.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    I have a new Neos that I took to the range last week. I was shooting CCI Standard Velocity, lead round nose and I was getting a feeding problem with a jam at the ramp/breech almost every clip. I wrote to Beretta and got this answer:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.

Soft lead bullets don't feed well in the NEOS. From personal experience with my own NEOS, I found that copper coated bullets always feed better. The soft lead ones will sometimes hang up on the feed ramp, which is the problem that you are describing.

Other than perhaps polishing the feed ramp, there isn't much more that can be done to remedy this type of issue. I would stick with copper coated bullets, which are offered by most ammunition manufacturers.

Have any of you experienced this? Hope this helps.
    Clean the gun, buy a plastic box of CCI Mini Mags, 40 grain copper plated round nose, NOT the hollow point, shoot the gun using them and report back on how the gun worked with them.

Gander has them for $7.49 a box.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Montgomery County)

The copper coated bullets possess no additional "hardness" over regular lead round nose bullets. The copper is plated onto the lead. This coating process is achieved through an electroplating process that merely deposits a few microns of copper. This microns thickness of copper is not enough to change the hardness properties in any significant way.

It sounds like your issue is more mechanical, in that you may have some material that is "gumming up the works" so to speak. Give it a good cleaning and if you have a dremel tool, give the feed ramp and chamber opening a polishing. This may resolve your issue. I own a Neos as well and have put thousands of rounds through it of regular and inexpensive lead round nose ammunition without any issue. I do not clean my guns very often, as I prefer shooting them to cleaning them.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!