Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Two examples of defense in our town

This is in reference to this thread
    http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...crazy-guy.html

I'm not going to junk up that thread and derail it anymore than we already have, so I'm doing a spinoff.

Here is an example of what happens if you use a gun to defend yourself. Now I'll just go on the record to say that I wasn't at this place so I don't have the FULL story (only the people involved that night know everything), but I did read multiple news paper articles and saw the TV newscasts...I'm sure you can find them if you do a search (both on Google and right here on the PAFOA because this was discussed here). But here are two examples. Now, the police did feel there was an avenue of escape, but whas there really? From what I read before, I don't think so. But I'm not saying there wasnt. Also ask yourself....would any of us done anything different? Your being attacked and your outnumbered and you have a gun. Tell me your not going to pull it? Also, there was more to this story involving vehicles, being blocked in, throwing large ice chunks, etc. You'll have to go look it up.
    http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...id/527351.html
    http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...id/530453.html

Now heres what happenes when you use a TASER. Again, there are more stories out there, but heres just a few.
    http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...y.html?nav=742
    http://www.statecollege.com/news/alt...onored-115232/

I say, it seems worst case sceneraio if you used a TASER and were busted. You'd probably have assault charges and possession of illegal electronic defense device. I think thats better than messing up with a gun and facing either murder or attempted murder charges.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; May 15th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
    [account deactivated]

(Washington County)

Default Re: Two examples of defense in our town

I want to go on the record as condoning shooting someone only if necessary and using less than lethal force if possible.

In your shooting example, the victim is alive and a free man even though he was arrested.

In one of the taser examples, the pharmacist tazed the guy as he was running out of the store. Perhaps not necessary?

I kind of see where you're trying to go with this, but I'm not sure you chose the best examples to make your case.

Hopefully it leads to an interesting discussion.
    Last edited by Shodan; May 15th, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added LTL to 1st sentence
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I kind of see where you're trying to go with this, but I'm not sure you chose the best examples to make your case.
    I'm not saying I did either. I'm just using examples in my own town, so they are going to be limited.

A good example of a shooting would be that guy in Iowa that shot an attacker while he was on the phone to 911 and you can hear he did and said everything he possibly could. He fired on his attacker with a 380 pistol and it went all the way through his chest horizontally and even through his arm. I dont remember if the guy died or not...but the shooter couldn't make bail until his day in court and he lost his house and job. I guess he worked for the IRS and eventually got his job back. But he was eventually cleared but the DA pressed charges. I have no idea what else in the world he could have done other than fire.
    [account deactivated]

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    I'm not saying I did either. I'm just using examples in my own town, so they are going to be limited.

A good example of a shooting would be that guy in Iowa that shot an attacker while he was on the phone to 911 and you can hear he did and said everything he possibly could. He fired on his attacker with a 380 pistol and it went all the way through his chest horizontally and even through his arm. I dont remember if the guy died or not...but the shooter couldn't make bail until his day in court and he lost his house and job. I guess he worked for the IRS and eventually got his job back. But he was eventually cleared but the DA pressed charges. I have no idea what else in the world he could have done other than fire.
    I think it comes down to I don't play games with my life. If some scumbag wants to try something and I fear for my life, Its going to be his. I would rather deal with the repercussions of that in a court being charged with attempted murder then have permanent brain damage because some scumbag decides he is drunk and wants to smack my head on the ground a few times.

In the first story you cited, zimmerman when leaving the bar was getting into his truck, he even used a defensive display of force and the idiot still kept coming. You can't fix stupid. But a gun helps.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Chester County)

Like the old cliche says better to be judged by twelve than carried by 6. I'm still a firm believer in just not allowing your self to fall in to a situation where force is the only out come, but I know that is optimistic and you can't always avoid it. I've done a pretty good job for the last 26 years but I know the day may come. Although I'm hopeful that a serious dose of threat avoidance will make that day more than justifiable if it were to happen.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    Like the old cliche says better to be judged by twelve than carried by 6.
    Yeah...................yeah............everyone says that, until they are sitting in that defendants chair.

There are some places worse than death, prison is one of them.

If you'll notice, on the TASER story. Not only were the users not cited, but they were actually given an award. If I remember the original paper article, the city was also present with representatives from TASER as well. And the instructor and salesman from ECGS, Scott Schenk. He's the Logan Township Constable.
    [account deactivated]

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Yeah...................yeah............everyone says that, until they are sitting in that defendants chair.

There are some places worse than death, prison is one of them.

If you'll notice, on the TASER story. Not only were the users not cited, but they were actually given an award. If I remember the original paper article, the city was also present with representatives from TASER as well. And the instructor and salesman from ECGS, Scott Schenk. He's the Logan Township Constable.
    If prison is worse than death, why do murders try to get life sentences instead of the death penalty?

(Chester County)

I'm pretty sure even in the worst case scenario your not going away for more than 20 years 15 with good behavior that's still better than a hole in the head. What happens if you miss with the taser? You have one shot and I promise you that you won't have time to pull your gun after the failed taser attempt. If you don't believe me YouTube tueller drill videos (spelling?). I don't need an award for not getting killed my life's worth more than some stupid award.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Franklin County)

I hold human life in very high regard. I pray I am never forced to take someone's life. However when someone crosses the line and poses a threat to me, or wife or children, my mission is very clear. Stop the threat. I will not mess around with tasers or pepper spray, it's the same reason I carry the most reliable and accurate .45 acp that I can afford. Yes it's a full size, and yes it's heavy and yes it's uncomfortable, but I don't care. And yes I carry it everywhere, because the mission is to STOP the threat as quickly as possible. In the split second it takes you to decide of the threat is worthy of your gun or if you should deploy your taser, you might not have to decide. You may be dead while he moves on to use your taser on your wife.
    I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member

(Luzerne County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Nothing!...
    Last edited by Nathan Hale; May 18th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast