Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hunting with a Ruger Super Blackhawk

I just picked up a Bisley 7.5 inch Blackhawk a few months ago. I actually traded my 300 win for it. I've been wanting to get into pistol hunting for deer and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hunting with open sights. I've been shooting a bit low at 50 yards with the rear sight fully adjusted. Any recommendations for an aftermarket rear (or front) sight? Thanks!

(Btw, I'm not comfortable shooting at an animal past 50 yards yet, but I may want to extend my range a few more yards later seeing as the 44 will let me)
    Last edited by PennStateCarry; July 14th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Opera Non Verba

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Hunting with a Ruger Super Blackhawk

What ammo are you shooting? Or are you shooting reloads? I hunt with my Smith(s) 44 magnums. One has a scope and one has open sights. I use only my reloads as I do believe they make a difference.

So, if you are using factory ammo, what brand and what bullet weight?

BTW, my scoped DX 44 will put all 6 rounds in a 6" group at 100 yards from a rest. That's a Hornady 200gr. XTP over 24.5gr. of VV N-110.

Dave

(Montgomery County)

I just got the dies for reloading it a few weeks ago. I was thinking about running a 240 gr. Hornady XTP through it for hunting. I need to experiment with powder loads still. Most of my buddies hunt with 357s reloaded for deer so I'm in the dark still on 44.

Right now I am slinging factory Federal 240 gr. JHPs at the range.

Those are some tight groups for a pistol. I'd like to stay away from a scope.. for now at least
    Opera Non Verba

(Westmoreland County)

240gr. is the "recommended" load from every hunting or shooting "gun rag" that you read. But I have to tell you from my ten years of hunting with a 44 magnum, I've never lost one shooting 'em with one well placed boiler room shot using the 200gr. XTP with the load mentioned. In fact, i've never lost one that I've shot using the 44 magnum. They simply either don't run, or don't run far.

Dave

(Montgomery County)

I'll have to check out those loads in my manual, thanks!
    Opera Non Verba

(Westmoreland County)

FWIW, here is an on-line load data from Vihtavuori. http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...n-magnum-.html

Something else you may want to consider is the new Alliant 300-MP. Here is a link to that web site's load data: http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...9&cartridge=33 The new Alliant powder may be less costly than the Vihtavuori's. I know I purchased an 8-lb container of N-110 a few years back. Today the cost seems to be sky high. If I had to buy it today I would be looking for another brand.

Dave

(Somerset County)

I started with Win 296 and 240 gr XTP's over 20 years ago, that's where I still am. That and Unique with 240 cast SWC for messing around. Don't remember the charge weights but the 296 is pretty close to the top.

I run open sights, best advice is lots of practice. BTW, if you are low with 240's, chances are you will be even lower with 200's unless you do something with your sight setup.

FWIW and YMMV,

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

I've used a Blackhawk in .45 Colt with success. I like the 250 grain XTP bullets over H110 or 296.

(Westmoreland County)

Remember (or make a note in your reloading notes) that H-110 and Win 296 are the exact same powder. Also remember that when you load these powders to keep them loaded on the high end of the recommended charge. I have personally loaded the 44 magnum using H-110 near the lower recommended charges and have experienced hang-fires with it. Not a good experience. That's one reason why I no longer use H-110 or Win 296 for reloading. But again.....that's just me.

I too use Unique for plinking loads. Unique for loading bowling lead bullet loads work great and is inexpensive as well.

FWIW

Dave
    Last edited by DavidTM; July 14th, 2014 at 08:29 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I started with Win 296 and 240 gr XTP's over 20 years ago, that's where I still am. That and Unique with 240 cast SWC for messing around. Don't remember the charge weights but the 296 is pretty close to the top.

I run open sights, best advice is lots of practice. BTW, if you are low with 240's, chances are you will be even lower with 200's unless you do something with your sight setup.

FWIW and YMMV,

Dale
    Same here. I've used one load in the last 20 yrs. 296 over 240 gr Speer soft point magnums. I've only used the pistol for a weak side shot or in really thick stuff.

I only shot one deer at 40 yds on that weak side and it only went about 30 yds.
    I use a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" open sighted pistol.

I shot some of those bullets into water ( no ballistic gel handy) and they opened up to about 3/4"

My new Blackhawk in .41 mag seems to do the same thing with the rear sight adjusted all the way but haven't reloaded anything to check for quite a while.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast