Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is the Wexford SGL range open?

Has anyone been out there recently? Is the range currently open or is it closed for maintenance? Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Is the Wexford SGL range open?

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Has anyone been out there recently? Is the range currently open or is it closed for maintenance? Thanks.
    i was there a couple of weeks ago. it was open then. apparently it had been closed the week prior because they were rebuilding the backstops and dirt mounds.

Quote Originally Posted by panopticonisi View Post
    i was there a couple of weeks ago. it was open then. apparently it had been closed the week prior because they were rebuilding the backstops and dirt mounds.
    Thanks for the update. I know they like to close it down in the spring for maintenance. I am making a trip up to that area and didn't want to be let down. Hopefully it will be open this week.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the update. I know they like to close it down in the spring for maintenance. I am making a trip up to that area and didn't want to be let down. Hopefully it will be open this week.
    i'll probably swing by tomorrow or thursday. i'll update with what i find.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I stopped by the range at lunchtime today and got some surprising news - they're going to completely rebuild the range. I was talking with a PGC employee who was there to meet with an official from Franklin Park. Franklin Park apparently hates the place since residents are building expensive homes nearby and then complaining about the noise; PGC would have a hard time expanding, so they’re rebuilding the ranges instead. It will result in a few less stations, but they’ll be much better. First, they’re going to eliminate the shotgun range just down the road and turn it into a pistol-only range. There will be two bays, one 10-yd and one 25-yd, 8 stations each, separated by a berm, with covered firing lines, concrete floors, new parking areas. They’re putting it out for bid now, and hope to have it done in July. After that, they plan to reconfigure the existing range for rifle only, with multiple bays at 50 & 100 yards.

This sounds like a nice improvement. No more mud pit, the concrete floor makes it easier to pick up brass, and the most important thing – no more common firing line with 40 or 50 people shooting different distances at the same time. Should be safer, since you’ll only have to worry about 7 other yahoos, not 50.

Interesting. Unfortunately, I get this bad feeling that the range only has a few more years left before more residents push it out of the area.

Is the range currently open in its normal state right now?

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I stopped by the range at lunchtime today and got some surprising news - they're going to completely rebuild the range. I was talking with a PGC employee who was there to meet with an official from Franklin Park. Franklin Park apparently hates the place since residents are building expensive homes nearby and then complaining about the noise; PGC would have a hard time expanding, so they’re rebuilding the ranges instead. It will result in a few less stations, but they’ll be much better. First, they’re going to eliminate the shotgun range just down the road and turn it into a pistol-only range. There will be two bays, one 10-yd and one 25-yd, 8 stations each, separated by a berm, with covered firing lines, concrete floors, new parking areas. They’re putting it out for bid now, and hope to have it done in July. After that, they plan to reconfigure the existing range for rifle only, with multiple bays at 50 & 100 yards.

This sounds like a nice improvement. No more mud pit, the concrete floor makes it easier to pick up brass, and the most important thing – no more common firing line with 40 or 50 people shooting different distances at the same time. Should be safer, since you’ll only have to worry about 7 other yahoos, not 50.

(Allegheny County)

Well this is surprising. If this happens I might consider going back as its close to my house, however the primary reason I stopped going was unsafe shooters and I haven't heard any reports that the new permit has reduced those.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Interesting. Unfortunately, I get this bad feeling that the range only has a few more years left before more residents push it out of the area.

Is the range currently open in its normal state right now?
    Yes, it's open. They'll keep the old pistol range open until the new one is finished. I assume it'll be around for a long time, since PGC is about to spend so much money on it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Well this is surprising. If this happens I might consider going back as its close to my house, however the primary reason I stopped going was unsafe shooters and I haven't heard any reports that the new permit has reduced those.
    I've had more than a few people tell me that the permit drove away a lot of the riff-raff. It's definitely not the safest place, but I shoot there sometimes because I drive right by it all the time; if there's someone that makes me nervous, I just pack up and leave. I belong to PMSC too, but with 50 minutes each way, I can't make it out there as often as I'd like.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've had more than a few people tell me that the permit drove away a lot of the riff-raff. It's definitely not the safest place, but I shoot there sometimes because I drive right by it all the time; if there's someone that makes me nervous, I just pack up and leave. I belong to PMSC too, but with 50 minutes each way, I can't make it out there as often as I'd like.
    The safety of SGL was what got me to goto PMSC. Its about 30 for me to get out there.

I would not mind checking out the SGL if someone want's to let me be their guest.

(Butler County)

I was at the range today at 12:30...strange (but good) experience
    - less than 12 people there
    - most were couples
    - no jackasses
    - all backstops were pristine...I got to shoot the first holes in both the pistol and 25yrd range

But the strange thing was that I saw 2 reporter-type people interviewing some of the couples and taking pictures. I'm wondering if we'll soon see an article in the Post Gazette.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast