Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Smith & Wesson production date

I have a 686-4 with the serial number BRMxxxx. My copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" has no entry for the "BRM" prefix, but it seems that the gun was produced after August 1994, based on what is listed.

Is there another resource I could look to for this information, without going directly to S&W?

Thanks,
    --Phil

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Smith & Wesson production date

Hello. I need a little help in dating my S&W model 15-3 in a 3" with 3 screws and pinned barrel k frame round butt with # 1k19167. I found this revolver at Hippo's and love it but it came with those black rubber grips. I would like to know the year made so I can find grips s&w grips from that ers. I understand some of the grip designs changed over time. Thanks for any help....Tom Z

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I always go to S&W for my production dates. Fast, free and accurate. They won't give you the date but they will give you the year.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomzret View Post
    Hello. I need a little help in dating my S&W model 15-3 in a 3" with 3 screws and pinned barrel k frame round butt with # 1k19167. I found this revolver at Hippo's and love it but it came with those black rubber grips. I would like to know the year made so I can find grips s&w grips from that ers. I understand some of the grip designs changed over time. Thanks for any help....Tom Z
    Are you sure it's Model 15? The model 15s were all square butt and to my knowledge were never made with a 3 inch barrel.

The serial No. you list dates the revolver at 1970. At that point S&W stocks were checkered wood without the diamond surrounding the screw escutcheon. Most Model 15 stocks were the square butt, unbeveled type, with a slight flair at the bottom.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    I always go to S&W for my production dates. Fast, free and accurate. They won't give you the date but they will give you the year.
    Just give them a call or do they actually reply to emails?
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Bucks County)

The last time I questioned a production date I e-mailed Smith&Wesson, they got back to me two days later with the year of production, if you want more than that you have to pay for a Jinks letter