Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Le Sigh...Wish I was confrontational

I wish I was a confrontational person, kinda like Viper. But, alas, I do not have it in me.

On March 19, I went to the Northampton County Courthouse, and completed my LTCF. As of April 25 (37 days after) I had not heard or received anything. On the encouragement of Viper, I called to check on the status of my LTCF. The Sheriff who handles the licenses looked up my information and said that there was nothing wrong, that he was waiting for information to come back from my local municipal police department. When I asked him to elaborate, he stated that he always sends paperwork to the licensee's local police department, and he cannot process the license until he hears back from them. At this point, I know that many on PAFOA, Viper included, would challenge this explanation, however, me not being one to cause conflict, simply said 'Okay, thank you' and left it at that.

We are now on May 10, and I still have not received my LTCF. The 45 day mark was on May 3. Am I frustrated? Yes. Am I going to call and raise hell? Probably not. I don't like conflict, and truly try to avoid creating it when I can. Viper wants me to call and "raise hell", like he would, but I just don't have that in me. I know he is chomping at the bit to create some action, and is probably more frustrated than me, since he is a stickler for rules/laws, lol.

This surprises me, because I have read nothing but positive encounters with the Northampton County Sheriffs department when it comes to LTCF. I am at a conundrum, I just don't know what to do. I understand calling to try and push them to move forward, but then I worry that I will only piss them off, and they will deny me. On the other hand, I figure no news is good news, and it will come eventually. Maybe I just need to take Viper with me to the courthouse, lol.

If only I was confrontational!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Le Sigh...Wish I was confrontational

What is confrontational?

If you went to the store to buy milk and they gave you the wrong change. Would you just accept it and leave?

Holding the sheriff to the law is no different.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Dauphin County)

Just call and ask again. I called twice before I recieved mine, called at the 2 week mark and again at the 3 week mark and I would have kept calling had it not been ready when I called the last time.

(Centre County)

PrettyInPink:

The more you are confident with your knowledge of the laws, the more you will become ASSERTIVE! DO NOT view it as confrontational.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/assertive

as·ser·tive
       /əˈsɜrtɪv/ Show Spelled[uh-sur-tiv] Show IPA
    adjective 1. confidently aggressive or self-assured; positive: aggressive; dogmatic:

Never appologize for being assertive. I too was extremely meek (not saying this is how you describe yourself) until I got older, more mature and more educated.

If you feel this is something you wish to change in your life then become educated on the topics that interest you (maybe CC/OC in this case and the laws involved) and when the situations arise where you KNOW FOR A FACT that you are getting bad information, calmly but firmly explain your point of view which you can easily back up with case law

GOOD LUCK with this life long journey.

(Bucks County)

Maybe if you show up in person they will try to speed things along.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Delaware County)

The law is pretty clear that they have to give you a decision in 45 days.

If you had a moving violation/ticket to pay within 30 days, and decided to pay it on day 37, how do you think that would go?

You have to live by the law, so do they.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Isn't the app supposed to be approved or denied within 30 days? Look up the references, print them out and call back. There is nothing confrontational about inquiring about adherence to law.

(Montgomery County)

It's all in how you position your viewpoint. If you tell them they are in violation of the law then they may get defensive. If you tell them you believe the local municipality has violated the law by delaying their approval they may be more open to doing what is right. Even if they know it's their fault, by giving them the "out" of pretending it's not their fault, and by suggesting they are also victims of the local municipality you may find an ally in getting this resolved immediately. If that doesn't work you can always just tell them by law they need to approve or deny immediately or they are breaking the law.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    Isn't the app supposed to be approved or denied within 30 days? Look up the references, print them out and call back. There is nothing confrontational about inquiring about adherence to law.
    They are supposed to issue the license or provide written justification for denial within 45 calendar days, as the statute directs.

Call 'em up and say in a non-confrontational way of course:

"Look, you @$%@*@&*%, I want my %*#$%* LTCF right %*#$%* NOW!

And you %*#$%^ better not call it a %*#$%* PERMIT either, you #$%@&*, *&#$%# #$% *@ @ $%&*#! You got me? Thank you".

This was posted as a funny take on the situation. I do not recommend speaking to sheriff's employees in any way other than RESPECTFULLY, while still knowing the law and your rights as a citizen

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast