Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Newbie Question: One Eye or Two?

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Depends on what you are training for.

If you want to get high scores making holes into paper targets, then put a patch on your shooting glasses.

If you ever intend to shoot for defensive purposes, you want to train with both eyes open. That double target is normal that way and something to get used to, but you will have your full field of vision at least. Remember that in a defensive situation, you may not have time to get your patched up shooting glasses and put them on. And being half blind in a defensive situation isn't good anyway.

Regards,
    Jan
    Yes... during a high stress event like a shooting you will not be able to close one eye.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Great discussion. I will keep these things in mind the next time I'm at the range. I usually shoot the "one eye" way, but it makes much better sense to train with both.

Thanks!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Focus on the front sight.

Lycan.thrope
    Focusing on any part of the gun will still create a double visioned target region. I still recommend my suggestion over focusing on any part of the gun. Now, if you were to say to concentrate on the front site, I can agree, but focus? no way.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Wielding Nut View Post
    Focusing on any part of the gun will still create a double visioned target region. I still recommend my suggestion over focusing on any part of the gun. Now, if you were to say to concentrate on the front site, I can agree, but focus? no way.
    I need to stop with the short answers. They always get me into trouble......

The above may be your experience for now, but have you considered the possibility that you can train your eyes too see differently? That being said, I will say that I encourage people to experiment and NOT just blindly accept what works for someone else or "the best" shooters.

I can do a hard target focus and a hard front sight focus. Hard target focus is fine in close for point shooting and has it's place. There are many decent hard target focus shooters, but for maximum accuracy, you want a hard front sight focus.

For faster close in shots I can point shoot without reference to the gun, but I prefer to see at least the slide. The mind can vector wonderfully if it has a reference point.

I don't get a double target at all with a front sight focus. The target is slightly out of focus, but nothing where you have trouble with referencing the location of the front sight.

It can be done at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPp1...ature=youtu.be

Lycanlastsundaythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

The vast majority of firearms instructors I have met all teach to focus on the front sight with the rear sight and target slightly blurry.

Last edited by DaveM55; May 10th, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Lycan.thrope
    ^That. Focus on the front sight. The rear sight & the target should be kind of blurry.

If you're having trouble focusing with both eyes open, try squinting your non dominant eye at first. With both eyes open, you still have your peripheral vision to detect any threat from your left side & your depth perception is better. It takes some training, but soon it'll become second nature. But if you can't do it for some reason, then you can't do it.

You may be cross eye dominant, too. To find out which is your dominant eye, point your right index finger at an object about 10 yds away with both eyes open.(Just like you're pointing a gun.) Close your left eye. The target & your index finger should remain the same. Now close your right eye. If your finger (Gun) seems to move to the right, you're right eye dominant.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    You may be cross eye dominant, too. To find out which is your dominant eye, point your right index finger at an object about 10 yds away with both eyes open.(Just like you're pointing a gun.) Close your left eye. The target & your index finger should remain the same. Now close your right eye. If your finger (Gun) seems to move to the right, you're right eye dominant.
    Good point. People miss that sometimes.

Lycan+1thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonman View Post
    Learning to shoot with both eyes open will assist you in picking up the front sight quicker during transitions,shooting on the move and tracking the sights.
    I'd say the operative word there is "depth perception".
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Wielding Nut View Post

As a firearms instructor I can assure you that your focus should be on the front sight. Period. Rear sight and the target should be somewhat blurry (as few good folks already mentioned). That's the right way of doing it for conditions discussed.

I will really suggest you to take some formal firearms class (even NRA first steps).
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

Both eyes should always be open. The reasoning for this is so that you can retain your periferal vision. It also naturally enables you to use a fantastic tool that we are equipped with, binocular vision, which lets us judge distance accurately. Additionally, closing one eye straing the muscles in your face causing fatigue and eventually accuracy may suffer.
    Most importantly though is focusing on your sights... it is imperative to understand how they work. With any firearm, you are supposed to focus on your front sight. The rear sight should be slightly blurry. You allign the front sight and rear sight properly, and place the center of the front sight blade in the center of the target passively, but always focus on the front sight. With scopes, the same applies but focus on the crosshairs/reticle.
    Shooting with both eyes open does require some training if you have shot your whole life with one closed. But it is worth it, as it does improve your shooting and combat effectiveness substantially.
    Last edited by masakarijoe; May 10th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Montgomery County)

Your Solution, listen to the NRA instructor? Or listen to a Doc?

Haha.. I am Left handed, Right eye dominate. I shoot right handed with both eyes open.

I've been playing around shooting a compound bow Left handed. I see double images when looking through the sights which forces me to close an eye. Then I just have other problems..

I see a lot of shooters that do the scotch tape over the glasses.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast