Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Has anyone seen a Caracal... < got it >

Looking at this as well as a Steyr M9A1.

Not super duper excited about the UAE thing. Getting over it. I'm kinda enthralled by the super low profile slides and bore axis. Leaning more Steyr. Would love to shoot one of these side by side against one another.

But given the scarcity of both at this point. That would be like stumbling upon a Centaur fucking a Unicorn in a starbucks.

I think I found a place where I can go rent / shoot the Steyr. I've only ever held the old style Steyr. And I did like it. But I want the 2011+ Steyr with the extractor upgrades and better trigger. But I've heard the Caracal at this point is basically exchangeable with it "somewhat".

My gripe is those sights. Straight 8 is not my happy place. And since the rear sight IS the back plate of the pistol... it's going to make sight replacements for these guns a chore. They are also offered with the "quick sights". Where the "rear" sight is in the middle of the slide. That's something I would HAVE to try before I bought. As there is NO changing that once you commit.

While my option "B" the Steyr also uses weird ass sights. Switching those back to 3 dot is no big deal. They are definitely already out there.

I've been reading about both pistols a lot the last few days. And the Steyr guys even have a section of their board dedicated to the Caracal. So I think anyone looking at either, should probably be looking at both. Or so I have learned after beginning my research.

(Lawrence County)

Just got a Caracal F on Friday. 250 flawless rounds so far. Ergos are great & this is by far the softest ( in terms of recoil) 9mm I've ever shot. The striaght 8 sights took a little getting used to but after a few mags it was fine. Accuracy & follow up shots were better than average. A little better than my beloved CZ75 I'm sad to say. The trigger is fantastic on this gun. It's what Glock should have evolved into. No offense to Glock fans they are exceptional pistols , just not for me. As far as where its made ,well a lot of my pay goes there to fill up my wifes car & my car so.... Thats my 2 cents.

I haven't handled a Caracal, but I've owned multiple Steyrs...I liked how well the Steyr pistols shot and the triangle sights worked very well for me. You can replace them with night sights if you prefer 3 dot config.

The Caracal seems very interesting to me and it's at a good price point these days. Perhaps, I'll pick one up.

(Northampton County)

I really want to try one of these. Maybe I'll just have to break down and buy one. I guess my 1911 gets bumped down the to do list.

It's really hard to come up with something new and inovative the Caracal pistol reminds me of a combination of the Stery and Glock it is a good idea but no better improvement then the more popular XDM or M&P or Gen4 Glock a little better then the orginal designed Glock but very slightly. More a improvement on rather then an inovative new idea. It's a good idea but no better then any of the other new polymer designed pistols. IMHO.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    It's really hard to come up with something new and inovative the Caracal pistol reminds me of a combination of the Stery and Glock it is a good idea but no better improvement then the more popular XDM or M&P or Gen4 Glock a little better then the orginal designed Glock but very slightly. More a improvement on rather then an inovative new idea. It's a good idea but no better then any of the other new polymer designed pistols. IMHO.
    And we all know that the Glock was only a slightly improved HK VP70

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234