Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default contemplating going from chambered carry to unchambered carry temporarily

i've always carried a DA/SA gun. i carried my bersa thunder and sig p6 with the hammer down, round chambered. when called to action, I could always be ready and only have to face a single long/heavy trigger pull and put a bullet in my target. for that reason, when i got my walther p99, i sought out the anti-stress model and tap the decocker after i rack the slide to chamber a round.

i've always avoided DAO and SA guns because i'm not comfortable relying on a mechanical spring that's under pressure to keep a hammer from pushing a firing pin into a primer. most DAO guns are continually half-cocked and keep the pin under some pressure. for those reasons, i've avoided all glock style guns and 1911 based guns.

now that i'm getting my ltcf and i'll probably be concealed carrying or open carrying more in public, i finally decided to get a smaller 9mm gun. i loved my plinking walther p22 and my walther p99, so i decided to grow my walther family with a pps. the problem i'm running into now is that it has a glock style pre-cocked striker. i don't know how i feel about this. i'll probably carry unchambered for a week or so and start to chambered carry once i'm comfortable drawing the pps.

i just feel like i'm going backwards. i always keep my guns chambered. a friend picked one of my firearms off of the couch next to me and i warned her that it was loaded. she said, "knowing you, i assume any gun in your immediate area is loaded and dangerous." i replied with, "you should do that anytime a firearm is present." but i felt kind of good about myself and that my habits were becoming familiar and accounted for and people knew to act safely in my presence.
    Last edited by panopticonisi; May 8th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Default Re: contemplating going from chambered carry to unchambered carry

You are going backwards......don't go backwards.

Show me an example of a striker fired pistol that went boom on its own.
    FUCK BIDEN

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

Finger Straight, good holster and you're good to go.

If you've been safe with your SA/DA guns, you'll be just as safe with your new striker fired weapon. Trust yourself as a safe and responsible gun owner, it won't go bang on its own.

(Allegheny County)

i know i'm going backwards. it's just temporarily until i get used to the new gun. even though i'm good with trigger discipline, decent on drawing from concealment (on my own property) and from different positions, until i get FOR SURE good with the new trigger/action type... i'm temporarily backpedaling. i'm still lamenting that fact.

(Butler County)

Default Re: contemplating going from chambered carry to unchambered carry temporarily

Quote Originally Posted by panopticonisi View Post
    a friend picked one of my firearms off of the couch next to me and i warned her that it was loaded.
    I'd be more concerned with leaving a loaded gun where someone can walk over and pick it up. No one handles my guns unless I hand it to them (unloaded).
    Last edited by DonM55; May 8th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Default Re: contemplating going from chambered carry to unchambered carry temporarily

If you want to carry on your property or around your home with an empty chamber until you get comfortable I can get that. But I can guarantee you if you plan to defend your life without one in the pipe you are many times more likely to cause yourself harm than any perceived danger to carrying one in the pipe.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Beaver County)

i know i'm going backwards. it's just temporarily until i get used to the new gun. even though i'm good with trigger discipline, decent on drawing from concealment (on my own property) and from different positions, until i get FOR SURE good with the new trigger/action type... i'm temporarily backpedaling. i'm still lamenting that fact.
    Before you decide to do that, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    I'd be more concerned with leaving a loaded gun where someone can walk over and pick it up. No one handles my guns unless I hand it to them (unloaded).

QFT!

This is a lot more worrisome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

i've always carried a DA/SA gun. i carried my bersa thunder and sig p6 with the hammer down, round chambered. when called to action, I could always be ready and only have to face a single long/heavy trigger pull and put a bullet in my target. for that reason, when i got my walther p99, i sought out the anti-stress model and tap the decocker after i rack the slide to chamber a round.

i've always avoided DAO and SA guns because i'm not comfortable relying on a mechanical spring that's under pressure to keep a hammer from pushing a firing pin into a primer. most DAO guns are continually half-cocked and keep the pin under some pressure. for those reasons, i've avoided all glock style guns and 1911 based guns.

now that i'm getting my ltcf and i'll probably be concealed carrying or open carrying more in public, i finally decided to get a smaller 9mm gun. i loved my plinking walther p22 and my walther p99, so i decided to grow my walther family with a pps. the problem i'm running into now is that it has a glock style pre-cocked striker. i don't know how i feel about this. i'll probably carry unchambered for a week or so and start to chambered carry once i'm comfortable drawing the pps.

i just feel like i'm going backwards. i always keep my guns chambered. a friend picked one of my firearms off of the couch next to me and i warned her that it was loaded. she said, "knowing you, i assume any gun in your immediate area is loaded and dangerous." i replied with, "you should do that anytime a firearm is present." but i felt kind of good about myself and that my habits were becoming familiar and accounted for and people knew to act safely in my presence.

Before you go empty chamber, read my thread that I posted today. Had I had to rack the slide, I don't think it would have ended well for me. I was carrying a Springfield XDm that day.

Justin
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Before you go empty chamber, read my thread that I posted today. Had I had to rack the slide, I don't think it would have ended well for me. I was carrying a Springfield XDm that day.

Justin
    ^^^^ good point. Circumstances might make a self-defense situation the most stressful, fast-moving and complicated event in your life. Therefore, the more you can simplify it the better, i.e. if you need to pull the trigger, the gun is guaranteed to go bang.

IMHO, an empty chamber is only safer for the bad guy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast