Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default LTCF suspension story

So I got this story from someone who know's someone....
    This person was pulled over for speeding and had his firearm sitting on his dash. His firearm was taken by the police and his LTCF suspended for 3 months.

These are all the details I have. FWIW, knowing the source, I don't believe ANY of this story (other than he's crazy enough to be driving around with a gun on his dash!)

But for arguments sake, assuming the story is all true, what would be the basis for taking the firearm? And a 3 month LTCF suspension? I've never heard of someone having their LTCF suspended. Revoked yes but not suspended.
    Have you ever heard of anything like this (a 3 month suspension)?

Edit:
    Assuming the "gun on the dash" was a lie and he actually did something wrong/illegal, is a 3 month suspension even a possibility?
    Last edited by tlgpa; May 8th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LTCF suspension story

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    This person was pulled over for speeding and had his firearm sitting on his dash. His firearm was taken by the police and his LTCF suspended for 3 months.

These are all the details I have. FWIW, knowing the source, I don't believe ANY of this story (other than he's crazy enough to be driving around with a gun on his dash!)

But for arguments sake, assuming the story is all true, what would be the basis for taking the firearm? And a 3 month LTCF suspension? I've never heard of someone having their LTCF suspended. Revoked yes but not suspended.
    Have you ever heard of anything like this?
    I've heard similar types of stories, always from someone from someone... they are generally referred to as "bullshit"
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    I've heard similar types of stories, always from someone from someone... they are generally referred to as "bullshit"
    Well the someone and someone are related so it's not a story from someone just random.
    This person has a tendancy of compulsively lying. But he also has a known history of doing F'd up stuff with guns.

I don't know if the story is true but I think it's perfectly legal to have your firearm on the dash. Not that it's a good idea though.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    I don't know if the story is true but I think it's perfectly legal to have your firearm on the dash. Not that it's a good idea though.
    Agreed, while it is not a good idea I am yet to see anything saying that it is illegal.

I am curious about the 3 month suspension aspect of the story. Is that even possible? I guess it would be my understanding that a LTCF is like firearm ownership, you are either eligible or not.
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday View Post
    Agreed, while it is not a good idea I am yet to see anything saying that it is illegal.

I am curious about the 3 month suspension aspect of the story. Is that even possible? I guess it would be my understanding that a LTCF is like firearm ownership, you are either eligible or not.
    There is no legal mechanism for "suspension", only revocation, but it's not unheard of to hear of LTCF confiscations absent the legally required process - most often on an indefinite basis, and sometimes with a refusal to allow reapplication (also a violation of law).

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    There is no legal mechanism for "suspension", only revocation, but it's not unheard of to hear of LTCF confiscations absent the legally required process
    That's my understanding, only revocation.
    What's the legal process for confiscation?

(Delaware County)

Whatever the leo feels like that day.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Have you ever heard of anything like this (a 3 month suspension)?

Edit:
    Assuming the "gun on the dash" was a lie and he actually did something wrong/illegal, is a 3 month suspension even a possibility?
    Sounds suspicious to me. Show me the law where it says it is illegal to carry the gun on the dash. Heck, researching Delaware's open carry laws last week I found out that the dash or passenger seat are a couple of the suggested methods of carry.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Whatever the leo feels like that day.
    Actually, there is no legal process for it at all. It's just that resisting will do little good, and you can't use force in an attempt to retain it.

That's why I carry a copy, and keep the original in a safe place. There has been sound advice on why one should carry the original and keep a copy safe, but I'm comfortable doing it my way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast