Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default I drew my gun, and had to defend myself for doing it.

This happened in March, and I couldn't post anything about it until today, because today was my prelim hearing day.

First, the story.

I was on my way to work when I a guy in a silver SUV came up on my ass at a high rate of speed. I was doing 50 in a 45, on the 2 lane country back road that goes to my place of work. He started doing the weaving back and forth and backing off and speeding up coming inches from my bumper before backing off again. I could see him making gestures and mouthing things, but I couldn't make that out, of course.

Well, to avoid an incident, I simply started to slow down to prepare to pull off the side of the road and let him by, since I felt he was a danger to me and other motorists. I got down to about 25 and pulled into a little pull off along side the road, into a small parking lot..., which there wasn't a way to pull out of again without doing a U turn.

Apparently my slowing down enraged him, even though I wasn't doing the "jam on the brakes" thing like some people do to ragers. I did NOTHING to escalate this guys already high level of rage, and I thought me getting out of his way would resolve his issue.

Wrong. He pulled in behind me and as fast as I could look in my rear view, he was out of his vehicle with some sort of weapon in his hand, but I couldn't make out what in my rear view. In the following second, I decided that I could not allow him to approach my driver window with me still in my truck, and I couldn't attempt the U turn because that would again, put him right at my window, so I exited and drew my firearm to the low ready position. I felt, at that moment, that my life was in danger.

I ordered "GET BACK IN YOUR CAR!"

He yelled something about being a slow fuck and other expletives but did not back up.

This time I raised my firearm to center mass and ordered again "GET BACK IN YOUR CAR AND LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!"

He backed up and got back in his SUV, still yelling unintelligibly so I backed off and jumped in my truck and tore off out of there doing the U turn to get away from him. At this point, I was within a 2 miles of work. I knew that if I could get there, I would be safe because if he pursued me, he'd have to deal with the army that secures my site. *NOTE* I am not allowed to have a firearm on company property. There is a secure storage facility right across from company property where I park (30/month), so as to not violate the rules.

He did follow me for a bit but I saw I was gaining distance. I was able to get my wits about me despite shaking like a leaf during a tornado, and I tried dialing 911. All I got was this "Doo doo doo doo" tone! I was like WTF? By that time I made it to work. I hopped out and ran in and never saw the guy again.

I felt sick and was shaking uncontrollably due to the adrenaline, so I told my boss that "I have to get out of here, I have to take care of something, I will tell you about it tomorrow."

So I headed towards home. That is when I was finally able to get in touch with the police.

They asked me to come to the station to make a statement, and I agreed because until this point, I felt completely justified in the action I took and didn't think for a moment that I would be the one charged with anything.

When I got there, I found out that the rager made a statement before I did and he told the exact same story, but put me in his place!!!!!!!!!!! He told them that he never got out of his car and that I was chasing him for no reason and when he pulled over I got out and pointed my gun at him for no reason!!!!!

So, it became a his word vs my word thing, and I felt compelled to tell the true story even without an attorney present, because had I not, they would have arrested me and I would have spent the night in jail waiting for arraignment to let the court sort it out. In my line of work, I likely would not have survived the arrest and arraignment for a gun case.

So, I told them exactly what I told you. The one thing I had going for me is the fact that he told them that I turned around and went back the other way when he took off. Of course, like I said, I went to work and I was able to provide badge logs proving that within 5 minutes of the incident, I was at my work site.

Also, one of the cops used to be security where I work and he knew the type of background and scrutiny I am always under, so he felt sure I was telling the truth, but he didn't know what to do so he would let the "courts sort it out." His words. The cop also admitted to me that the rager did in fact have a gun!!

However, again, it became a his word vs my word kind of thing.

I was not arrested or detained and they didn't even take my gun. They only took my statement and said that they may send me a summons by mail, consisting of potentially of an M2 for reckless endangerment and an M1 for terroristic threats! A possible end to my gun rights!

When faced with the possibility of being grilled on the stand, and having to lie on the stand, the rager told the truth at the prelim today. I was in at 11am and out by 1107 am, case dismissed.

Now for the gun draw.

This was the first time I had ever drawn my weapon on another person, and I hope it is the last. I had always wondered;

1) If I COULD do it.
    2) How I would react if I DID do it.

In the moment, I was so steady and clear of mind, no shaking, no second guessing. I was even aware enough of my actions to keep my finger off the trigger. My orders were clear and concise.

I was quite happy with how my body reacted.

But, the instant I left the scene, like I said, I began shaking uncontrollably!

I hope I never have to do that again, and I'm thankful he didn't force me to make the ultimate decision.

Finally, if there is anything you think I should/can do better next time, please let me know. I know the "don't talk to cops" mantra, but like I said, I felt I had no other choice if I wanted a chance to save my job. Any police interaction greater than a traffic stop could cause me to lose access..., and this did. In fact, I won't get my access back until tomorrow. So I had to make a choice in the moment, and I told my story. I hope you understand that.

Justin
    Last edited by Justin///M; May 8th, 2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Corrections.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Default Re: I drew my gun, and had to defend myself for doing it.

Oh, and for those that know, I know that while I was under indictment for the M1, that I was prohibited. How soon after the dismissal can I buy guns again?

Thanks

Justin.

(Allegheny County)

Congratulations on surviving an encounter with a psycho, and surviving his evil attempt at using the cops for revenge!

I don't see much of anything to criticize. One thing I wonder about is whether the guy had your plate number or other identifying information? From your story I can't tell. I kind of got the impression that he told his story, but they only figured out it was you because you came in telling the other side.

That's not a criticism. We'll have to wait for Phil to comment whether a lawyer would have advised you to handle it differently. Personally I would worry that the psycho might have called the cops, and I'd have worried for some time afterward about them tracking me down, so I might have done exactly what you did.

(Montgomery County)

The "don't talk to cops thing" is a nice mantra, but you always need to look at every situation and make a decision based on the circumstances. I think you did well enough, and I'm happy to hear it ended well. The only advice I can offer was given to me by a former LEO.... If you think the police are going to be called, do whatever you can to be the first one on the line with them. Once you are off the line, get your lawyer on the phone as fast as possible ( even if u need someone else to make that call for you)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    Congratulations on surviving an encounter with a psycho, and surviving his evil attempt at using the cops for revenge!

I don't see much of anything to criticize. One thing I wonder about is whether the guy had your plate number or other identifying information? From your story I can't tell. I kind of got the impression that he told his story, but they only figured out it was you because you came in telling the other side.

That's not a criticism. We'll have to wait for Phil to comment whether a lawyer would have advised you to handle it differently. Personally I would worry that the psycho might have called the cops, and I'd have worried for some time afterward about them tracking me down, so I might have done exactly what you did.
    Good question. Yes, he did get my plate number..., and it is a personalized plate with an easy to remember number..., something, along with getting a dash cam, I'm going to remedy.

Justin

(Philadelphia County)

This is just what I would do and I'm not being a critic . I would have stayed in my vehicle doors locked and weapon unholstered and had he tried to enter the vehicle then I would react . All whille having 911 on the line
    IANAL

(Luzerne County)

glad to hear u are okay man. the shaking is normal, i feel cause we are not rambos in daily life, just normal law abiding citizens.
    i am for sure getting a dash cam after this story. the one that records in 4 directions.

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    This is just what I would do and I'm not being a critic . I would have stayed in my vehicle doors locked and weapon unholstered and had he tried to enter the vehicle then I would react . All whille having 911 on the line
    Thank you for the tip. In the heat of the moment, I decided I didn't want to be trapped and be forced to have to make a one handed shoot cross body out the window.

The whole thing... pulling over, him getting out, me getting out and drawing, to him getting back in and me getting back in and leaving took under 10 seconds.

I had a lot to consider in just a few seconds.

Justin

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Good question. Yes, he did get my plate number..., and it is a personalized plate with an easy to remember number..., something, along with getting a dash cam, I'm going to remedy.
    Good for you! I'd rep you twice...

From the sound of things, it turned out that you were probably very smart to go in and tell your story. Things might have gone badly if they used DMV records, tracked you down, and collared you themselves. They'd certainly have believed nothing you said after that point, and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have been forced to pay bail.

I'm still curious what GL would advise, based on what you knew when you went to the cops, but the more I hear, the better you look. That's not so common when I read these stories.

(Philadelphia County)

And never block yourself in always have an escape route . You are lucky this lunatic didn't. Decide to take aim but well played sir .I'm glad it worked out
    IANAL

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast