Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Larry Vickers 1911 Pistolsmithing Course...!!

I am sitting here watching an episode of TacTV where Larry is teaching a group of guys to build a custom 1911 from a frame/slide set and a bunch of oversixed gunsmith parts, and at the end of the 6 day course, you have a completed custom built by yuor own hands 1911..!! The cost is $2375 plus tools and parts... It looks like a lot of fun...!!
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

Default Re: Larry Vickers 1911 Pistolsmithing Course...!!

I saw that last night too! Looks like it's well worth the money, and the part I thought really cool was that he travels the country doing these. He was in Florida on the show but said that this is the 7th or 8th that he's done and he loves it. I think we PAFOA members should petition him to do one (or 10) in the ole' Keystone state, I'll be saving my pennies!

(Washington County)

My thoughts exactly... I would love to take a class that actually teaches me to build a pistol from the bare minimum and have to fit the parts, etc, and at the end, have the completed gun, made by my own hands.. very cool idea...!!

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    I saw that last night too! Looks like it's well worth the money, and the part I thought really cool was that he travels the country doing these. He was in Florida on the show but said that this is the 7th or 8th that he's done and he loves it. I think we PAFOA members should petition him to do one (or 10) in the ole' Keystone state, I'll be saving my pennies!
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Northumberland County)

I saw this the other night on TV. Wish I had the money to do something like this. I enjoy working on firearms. My favorite gun to shoot is the AR that I put together from parts.
    Last edited by Sikth; May 8th, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    I am sitting here watching an episode of TacTV where Larry is teaching a group of guys to build a custom 1911 from a frame/slide set and a bunch of oversixed gunsmith parts, and at the end of the 6 day course, you have a completed custom built by yuor own hands 1911..!! The cost is $2375 plus tools and parts... It looks like a lot of fun...!!
    I guess a lot of ppl liked this episode b/c they showed it last week as well I would love to take his course to build a 1911 I’m not a gunsmith but I do like to tinker so I think I’ll do ok

(Allegheny County)

TacTV currently runs the episodes twice and then a new one.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcdonnell View Post
    I saw this as well. I would love to do this, but not sure I could afford it. If I could get the parts and tool list a year ahead so I could buy as funds became available (and look for best prices), I might be able to.

It does look pretty awesome, though. I will keep checking his website for closer classes.

(Delaware County)

I never even heard of tacTV! is this something that comes from normal digital cable service or a channel you have to add to your package?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

Sounds like about $4375.00 (2375+900 parts+300 tools+800 accommodations & food)minimum to me. I can buy a nice Wilson for that much and have a pro build it and have a forever guarantee. Nope,,, I won't get to spend a week with Larry Vickers, oh well.

Don't mean to be a downer,,,,, just looking realistically at this experience. $900.00 in parts can be argued,,,, but do you want to build a piece of junk??
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    I never even heard of tacTV! is this something that comes from normal digital cable service or a channel you have to add to your package?
    It's a half hour show on sportsman's channel, a channel I just started getting last week as an add-on from comcast. Cable went out for about an hour and when it came back on I had almost 30 new channels! Usually sportsman's channel has hunting shows but Monday night they do more gun focused programming. Every so often the cable company comes through with a little extra!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast