Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia LTCF turn around time

Today is 45 calender days, the LEO who interviewed me said it would take 45 business days, called today and the machine said 45 days not including weekend. Someone on this forum said they went down there on the 47th calender day and didnt have his letter and pick up his LTCF. Thinking about going down tomorrow to check, me and my gf applied at the same time, so i asked her if she thought it was a good idea to go check, she said no because her friend who just got their ltcf said her uncle who is a cop told her if u bug them they put ur app on the bottom of the pile...

any thoughts on this? should i at least wait til 45 business days then if i dont get a letter go down and check? or just suck it up and wait for the letter?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Philadelphia LTCF turn around time

Philadelphia likes to stretch it out. No where in the UFA does it state "45 business days"... it clearly states "45 days" and a day is defined by midnight to midnight.

Unfortunately that city likes to do whatever it damn well pleases and no one does a damn thing about it.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Philadelphia likes to stretch it out. No where in the UFA does it state "45 business days"... it clearly states "45 days" and a day is defined by midnight to midnight.

Unfortunately that city likes to do whatever it damn well pleases and no one does a damn thing about it.
    Like bdb said. Just depends on how much you feel like making waves and calling them out for flouting the law. You could show up and complain and it will probably fall on deaf ears, but then again if you start out by just asking if it's ready it might actually be ready.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by alexva696 View Post
    Today is 45 calender days, the LEO who interviewed me said it would take 45 business days, called today and the machine said 45 days not including weekend. Someone on this forum said they went down there on the 47th calender day and didnt have his letter and pick up his LTCF. Thinking about going down tomorrow to check, me and my gf applied at the same time, so i asked her if she thought it was a good idea to go check, she said no because her friend who just got their ltcf said her uncle who is a cop told her if u bug them they put ur app on the bottom of the pile...

any thoughts on this? should i at least wait til 45 business days then if i dont get a letter go down and check? or just suck it up and wait for the letter?
    I have read in previous threads about people in your situation. They end up going to the department they applied at, asking nicely the status of their application and getting their LTCF on the spot. The excuse they give is it was sitting in a pile waiting to be mailed out.

If I were you I would go there and inquire. Also do not worry about them putting your app on the bottom of the pile. That's just one cop trying to spread the seeds of apathy when it comes to citizens holding police accountable and efficient.

(Philadelphia County)

The way Philly tries to work it is they send out a letter with a special code number in it as a unique identifier when you are approved. When you get there, there will be a clipboard to sing in if you are picking up your LTCF and asks for this number. I would tell the person behind the first window that you are there to pick up your LTCF because it has been past 45 days and you have not received your confirmation letter yet. Ask them to go in the back and pull your paperwork so you can get it TODAY. If they give you any shit... remind them that 45 days is 45 continuous days, not business days.

They will probably give you some BS story that the letter was in the back and hasn't been mailed out yet. Doesn't matter what lie they want to make up, just be sure they stick to the law and issue you your LTCF if it has been over 45 days.

I went through this and Viper and I went down there to pick mine up. Fortunately we ran into Lisa King in the hallway and kinda got bumped up in line a little and was out of there pretty quickly.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    The way Philly tries to work it is they send out a letter with a special code number in it as a unique identifier when you are approved. When you get there, there will be a clipboard to sing in if you are picking up your LTCF and asks for this number. I would tell the person behind the first window that you are there to pick up your LTCF because it has been past 45 days and you have not received your confirmation letter yet. Ask them to go in the back and pull your paperwork so you can get it TODAY. If they give you any shit... remind them that 45 days is 45 continuous days, not business days.

They will probably give you some BS story that the letter was in the back and hasn't been mailed out yet. Doesn't matter what lie they want to make up, just be sure they stick to the law and issue you your LTCF if it has been over 45 days.

I went through this and Viper and I went down there to pick mine up. Fortunately we ran into Lisa King in the hallway and kinda got bumped up in line a little and was out of there pretty quickly.
    +1

Stand your ground and be firm that it's been 45 days since applying and they HAVE issue you your license decision TODAY. Don't leave or take no for an answer.

The law is VERY clear that it's 45 days and even defines "day" as midnight to midnight.

(Philadelphia County)

ok im gonna go down there first thing tomorrow and see what happens

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post

It is unfortunately who you know in Philadelphia. I personally know someone who just renewed their LTCF in Philadelphia in 45 minutes.

So much for the statute saying that the LTCF process is to be uniform throughout the Commonwealth!

(Philadelphia County)

I just renewed. Waited 45 business days, no letter. Went down, signed in, was asked for the letter. Explained time elapsed, phone call said to come in. She asked for ID, got ID and letters from others on the sheet, then went in the back o find my file. She did not like that she had to look it up.

Called my name, went to get photographed and walked out with my license.