Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default First person video feedback helps a lot.

The wife bought me a GoPro Hero for Christmas for the motorcycle, but I decided to wear it for a stage at today's USPSA match. The GoPro is a bit heavy for run and gun, but you can get cheap "DVR sunglasses" off of Ebay that do the same thing for the fraction of a cost......

Anyhow, I try to shut off verbal thoughts (talking in my head versus just seeing and reacting to inputs naturally) when I shoot and I often don't remember reloads or other stage sections. For example, I didn't remember the trigger freeze on target three, but I reacted and just forgot about it again. I also remember the verbal thought of trying to ramp up my transitions on the third target in back and ended up with bad braking and some wobble that slowed me down. It felt a lot longer than it was.

This stage was 4 boxes and 16 targets (32 rounds). You had to address an array from each box so you had to move to all of them.

http://youtu.be/zYPp1OPNnaI

Lycanrecommendsthrope
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; May 7th, 2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Default Re: First person video feedback helps a lot.

Absolutely loved the video! First time have seen it POV, Keep 'em coming.

(Bucks County)

GENIUS!!! I hadn't even considered this for my videos. Time to get a POV camera!
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Berks County)

I've been using a Contour HD for a little whole now. I'm not crazy about the orientation (It is mounted to a strap and held onto the left/right side of the head. I've seen them mounted to the brim of baseball caps but it has to make the hat front-heavy) but I'm very happy with what it captures in the sense of 'Game Film'.

The only problem I've run into is that when I point shoot at low targets I don't always drop my head. I have a tendency to move my eyes while keeping my head up (the camera can't see the gun).

(Cambria County)

Smile Re: First person video feedback helps a lot.

Congrats!!! That is some fast shooting. Somebody has been spending a lot of time at the range.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

I've been looking to pick up something similiar for a while now. One of my friends bought the ones integrated into the glasses and they work pretty good. Also, I just wanted to say, you are a bad ass. I could tell you were a good shot from all your posts, but this is the first time I ever seen you shoot. Very impressive.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Thumbs up Re: First person video feedback helps a lot.

Nice shooting!
    I have a GoPro that I used to use on my track bike, your video has me thinking I might have to take it shooting just for the heck of it.
    The camera helped me identify weak points on the race track and while I don't compete with a gun it may bring something to the forefront that I can change to improve myself as a shooter.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by noslolo View Post
    Congrats!!! That is some fast shooting. Somebody has been spending a lot of time at the range.
    The reload on the move was pretty nice too, based on what I heard. I couldn't really see it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Lawrence County)

The reload wasn't at full speed because I knew I had an eternity to get to the next box. When I'm hot, my shot to shot reloads are about 1 second. Lately, I'd wager, they have dropped off to about 1.2-1.5. I've kind of given up on practicing the past three years....I'm out practicing other stuff.

I don't have any other first person vids, but looking through the past couple of months of third person vids I seem to be getting antsy when leaving an array and I saw another instance of trigger freeze. I may change something about the gun to put my focus back on it.

I'll do some more first person stuff next month, but it is kind of distracting. Kind of like an audience .....x10. Your mind goes to the feeling of the camera and not just relaxing and shooting without verbal thought.

If any of you want to post other first person (or third person) video here, feel free and we can use this as a thread to evaluate whatever you wish.

Lycanneedsascottgripthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

nice.

I have a lot of 3rd perosn vids, and I normally get some video of draws and manipulations on most range trips for review at home. Ive found it VERY useful , Ive seen myself doing plenty of things I didnt know I was doing that i dont want to be doing, and also seen lots of confirmation from things I had practiced actually being applied as i shoot. Not only will paying attention while shooting distract, its pretty hard to tell if Ive got something down i want to be unconscious when Im thinking about it...........

Are you finding the 1st person helps you see any more ? Ive always liked 3rd so I can see my body move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast