Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Newbie with question about carry across State Lines

I apologize if this question has been addressed multiple times, but I'm not sure where to look for threads on this topic. I am a female newbie to firearms and am completely bewildered by the plethora of information, terms, and details about gun ownership, rules, laws, etc. So I'm starting at the VERY VERY beginning !! :-/

My question is about conceal carry across state lines. I understand that VA and WVA recognize permits from PA, but not MD. (Correct?) I often travel to VA and have to hit a small portion of MD on Highway 81 South. How do you handle carrying through states that do not recognize our PA permits? Do we first check to see if they have OPEN-CARRY laws and then make sure the firearm and ammunition are separate from each other in the car in the event of interaction with law enforcement? And, if stopped by law enforcement in a state that does not accept our PA permits, what do you say and how do you handle it?

Thanks so much for any information and your patience with my bewilderment. There are SO many laws, regulations, and difficulties faced even by the most law-abiding citizens, that it is very unnerving and I want to make sure I follow the laws (fair or not - another topic *wink*).

(Chester County)

Default Re: Newbie with question about carry across State Lines

Having MADE that trip, it's simple.

You pull over before leaving the Commonwealth of PA. Secure your firearm(s) as per FOPA safe-transport rules, proceed through the People's Republic of Maryland without making unnecessary stops, then once you cross the border into the Commonwealth of VA, you reverse the process.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Northampton County)

You cannot have a handgun (mostly) or Open Carry in MD. You can travel through the state without stopping (unless absolutely nec.) under federal law (Firearm Owner's Protection Act).

Pull off in PA on the way south on 81. There are threads in this forum section about good spots if you want to search. I usually get scared and pull off around exit 15 I think and dissarm in a fast food parking lot.

Keep everything in the trunk. Handguns unloaded. I unload detachable magazines but I forget if that is required. You do not need to keep guns in the trunk and ammo in the passenger compartment.

There is a Welcome Center in WV right over the border. Pull in and descretely get your sidearm and rearm. See if you can spot anybody else doing the same for fun.

WARNING: On your way back, I suggest you rearm at the Welcome Center in PA as well. Exit 1 on Route 81 in PA actually takes you back into MD. Not a good place to rearm.
    Last edited by ungawa; May 6th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    WARNING: On your way back, I suggest you rearm at the Welcome Center in PA as well. Exit 1 on Route 81 in PA actually takes you back into MD. Not a good place to rearm.
    Not quite. Going south, you must enter MD to use Exit 1, which returns you back to PA. "State Line Rd" runs the border in that area, with the actual border being on the south edge of the road.

Going north, Exit 1 is inside of PA, and using it will keep you in PA, so long as you don't actually exit your vehicle and step just south of the border as you are on State Line Rd.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Not quite. Going south, you must enter MD to use Exit 1, which returns you back to PA. "State Line Rd" runs the border in that area, with the actual border being on the south edge of the road.

Going north, Exit 1 is inside of PA, and using it will keep you in PA, so long as you don't actually exit your vehicle and step just south of the border as you are on State Line Rd.
    Even if you are right, that sounds like a distinction that doesn't change the value of my warning one bit.

Where is the border, the southern edge of the macadam?

Sounds like an issue that people that don't live around your parts shouldn't bother to try to figure out for the purpose of interstate travel.

(York County)

Spydergirl, in case you want a reference for the information already posted above...

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Link to source: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Where is the border, the southern edge of the macadam?
    Pretty much. Because of the unique nature of this border (Mason-Dixon line), you can actually see one of the crown stones on the south edge of the road when you arrive at the end of the north-bound exit ramp (you will be facing south). This is at the east end of State Line Rd. If you travel the road to the west, the line actually falls away further to the south, lying in farm fields. At not point does any part of that road become MD.

I do understand that unfamiliarity with the area could cause some apprehension.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post

This is correct concerning the state line. The road is in PA, the south side shoulder of the road is MD.
    I make the trip up and down 81 fairly often as I own a rental property in WV. I usually take MD exit 9 and head over to MD60 and go north. At the state line there is a bus turnaround that I stop at to reload. If the dumbasses who made up these rules for the sake of public safety knew there were people stopping along the roads and in rest areas loading and unloading firearms, they would have a cow.

(Lancaster County)

Question about the "unnecessary stops" part of FOPA. Is stopping and getting gas considered necessary?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Question about the "unnecessary stops" part of FOPA. Is stopping and getting gas considered necessary?
    conventional wisdom - No. IANAL

Same thing with getting food. But there's a question of degrees, as well. A 2-hour sit down meal might or might not be too extreme.

Unless you are either incredibly unlucky or do something stupid, it is unlikely that you'd encounter the local constabulary anyway - and depending on how they push things, you may or may not have a problem over it.

In short, we spend FAR more time worrying about complying with FOPA than the average cop even knows about it. I'm not saying one shouldn't follow the law - but I do find it funny the lengths we go to, so that we can be law-abiding citizens.
    Last edited by JonEMTP; May 6th, 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: IANAL
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast