Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Ruger 1911 - Have People gone crazy

Cast frame.

Not worth even close to that IMO,new or used...

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Cast frame.

Not worth even close to that IMO,new or used...
    +++1
    I have never owned/shot or even held a SR1911 so I have no opinion on the piece. With that said, I have read and seen pictures of some horror stories of big time cracks and QC issues with their frames. Again I don't know about the SR1911 but I like the fact that all of my 1911s are FORGED steel (except for the pro carry II - aluminum) slides, frames, barrels and slide stops. Just sort of puts my mind at ease knowing the high stess parts were made with decent metal work.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Buds auction with 6 hours left to go and a 'used' Ruger SR-1911 is up to $825. Someone please justify that for me other than someone with a lot of disposable income and no patience to wait until they come in and come back down near msrp !!!!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php
    We have become an instant gratification generation and your right, some people have more money then sense.

But hey as slow as the SR1911 is trickling out of the factory that might be the price range when ever they finally arrive.

(Centre County)

I don't understand what the big deal is either. What does SR1911 has that makes people go nuts over it.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

In my opinion, the fair value of the gun is 700 dollars. I agree with flathead's assessment. A casted frame is a casted frame and only an idiot would argue that it doesn't matter. I disagree that the SR1911 has problems, you can pull up some anecdotal posts to support your opinion but that information just isn't out there.

That being said, this gun competes nicely with models that people cite when they say it isn't worth what people are paying. It is a good shooter and excellent value, of coarse that opinion carries less weight as the price goes up. That's my experience as well as experience of reputable experts in the industry.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I don't understand what the big deal is either. What does SR1911 has that makes people go nuts over it.
    It's a nice looking gun. That's as far as I can comment on the gun, never saw one in person so I haven't had personal experience.

Like I said before, a gun (or anything else) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's how free enterprise works.

I know guys with $20,000 Krieghoff shotguns, I don't think they shoot any better than my old $500 Browning Auto 5, but they sure look nice.

Every once in a great while I've paid more for something I wanted that was hard to find than I probably should have, but I wanted the item, so I paid the price. I guess no one else here has ever done that.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    It's called free enterprise. It's an auction, people will bid what they are willing to spend, really not that odd.

We have a winner..It's free enterprise and you have remember something else.
    There's sucker born every minute. How many people have bought the Golden Gate Bridge over the years.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Bucks County)

It's understood about the whole free market thing, supply and demand blah blah blah. The point of the OP was how astounding it is what ppl are willing to pay for a USED hard to find(at the moment) gun. It just goes to show you that even while we are living in tough economic times, there are still ppl out there with more money than brains. Example: USED Ruger 1911> New "fill in quality manufacturer" 1911 ? Answer? Absolutely not. Have I personally paid for a gun more than it was worth? No. I'm frugal...ok cheap. I consider myself to be wise with the buck, but then again I have to be.

I've got one on order and expect to pay $600 to $650. When my dealer gets one, he'll call me. I don't want it as a rush order and have to pay the high price some people are. I also know I'll have to strip it down, do some work on the rails and give it a good cleaning. But, it's a Ruger and US made, so I want it.

I heard that Ruger has over 200,000 back orders and will not be shipping anything until the back orders are taken care of.

(Lancaster County)

It reminds me of the line in the movie Christine " What ever you are asking isn't enough! She's a beauty "!
    Some people will spend the money so they can have the hard to get item now, have bragging rights and get some attention. Or they just really want one. I do things like buy an RIA and have it cerakoted to my liking when I could have bought a more respected 1911. That can be considered crazy. I like it.
    The sr1911 is an interesting phenomenon. It's a nice looking piece. Hard to come by currently. It will be just as interesting when supply is there if it still generates much excitement.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast