Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Want to try something totally different?

How may of you would be interested in trying out a new 3-gun shooting sport? The sport is one of the fastest growing shooting sports in the country at the current time. The three guns you would be using, a full size 1911 pistol in .45ACP, a pistol caliber (.40 caliber and above) lever action rifle, and a Winchester 1897 style 12 gauge shotgun. The ammunition you would be using would have a minimum power factor of 150, and you would be shooting at steel stationary and reactive targets.

If this sounds like something that may interest you, then you need to check out the new Wild Bunch Action Shooting matches, which are part of the Single Action Shooting Society.

These matches are unique in the style in which they are shot, several one-to-three gun stages, in which scoring is based on both accuracy and speed. The use of more difficult targets, such as plate racks, dueling trees, knock down targets, hostage targets, and so forth is common in these matches. Wild Bunch Action Shooting is an action shooting sport that promotes speed, movement, and accuracy. It is not a bullseye competition, and targets and stage sequences are appropriate for all skill levels.

If this sounds interesting, or you would like more information about the sport, send me a pm, or visit the following website:

http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/

The rulebook can be viewed here:

http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/WB%...Vers%204.2.pdf

What have you got to lose, other than a whole lot of fun and some great shooting?
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Erie County)

Default Re: Want to try something totally different?

Well, I guess nobody is interested in trying any other shooting disciplines.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

(Montgomery County)

I think it looks interesting, but as someone who doesn't have any of the weapons.....well...i'm outta luck.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    It certainly looks interesting, but as Shadowline said, it does cater to a very small group of shooting enthusiasts. I wouldn't draw conclusions regarding long-term interest only from the lack of responses here in a week's time.

At least initially I think you will be drawing your competitors from the people who already participate in the SASS.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Montgomery County)

It looks as though you need to do the events in period dress as well. While not exactly a "re-enactor" type of event, it may draw from that crowd more than someone like me.

The only way I would do this would be if I could be called El Douch~e, wear a tiny sombrero and assless chaps. I also need the shotgun and the rifle, other than that I'm in.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Philadelphia County)

im certainly interested in it, it looks like fun. i love the classic guns and being able to shoot a 'practical shooting' event with them is great.

what i don't like however is having to buy another pistol, and another shotgun (though one day ill probably get a sxs cause they look fun)

also, don't we have to buy black powder rounds?

even more money

but hey, if you guys had some sort of cowboy themed action shoot where the use of tub fed lever guns wasnt just allowed but encouraged...well then, i'd have to check it out

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    I have pistols in 9mm and .22, and a lever rifle in 30-30.

If somebody wants to buy me a 1911, a pistol caliber lever rifle, and a suitable shotgun, I'll be happy to give it a try.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

if it's alright if i bring my own ammo and borrow someone's 1911 or double barrel (im happy to let someone shoot my marlin 1894c), then i'll certainly check it out

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by shrewd View Post
    if it's alright if i bring my own ammo and borrow someone's 1911 or double barrel (im happy to let someone shoot my marlin 1894c), then i'll certainly check it out
    Well,the only problems you'll have, the double barrel shotgun is not legal for Wild Bunch (has to be a Winchester Model 97 pump, or one of its clones), and the 1894C is also not legal for Wild Bunch (it's .38 Caliber, needs to be .40 Caliber at minimum).

Wild Bunch is shot with full power loads, and there are always knock-down targets that need to be engaged. Trust me, it's fun to engage six knock-down targets with a fully loaded Winchester 97 shotgun.

As for clothing, at minimum, all you need is a pair of jeans, and a long sleeve work type shirt (no t-shirts allowed), and you will need a hat (depending on which rifle you shoot, you'll find out really quickly why we require a hat to be worn, no baseball caps allowed), and a pair of work boots (no sneakers allowed).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast