Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ruger LC9 review

I ordered an LC9 earlier this week from Buds Guns and picked it up on Thursday. My normal conceal carry is a Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact. It is a nice gun, but prints like crazy because it is a double stack. The LC9 is about the same height and length as the Springfield, but seems much smaller because it is significantly thinner than the Springfield. The LC9 is a single stack that holds 7+1 to the Springfield's 13+1.

I use the LC9 with this inside the waistband holster
    http://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Left-Pro...5750830&sr=8-1

First off, there is no printing at all even with a t shirt. This is one of the main things I wanted. When I CC I don't want to print at all. The gun is lighter, smaller and feels comfortable in the holster. The gun does have a manual safety on the slide. I like having a safety on a gun because I have a soon to be 6 year old at home. I know I will never leave the gun out where he can get it, I know that even if I were to somehow slip up and leave it out, he is well trained not to touch a gun. As much as I know this I like the safety in case I ever slip out and it turns out that I don't know as much as I think I do. The good thing about the safety is that if you don't like them you don't have to use them.

I took the gun to the range today and used it on the 25 yard range. I like the gun. I am not the greatest shot. I was using targets that were about 2 1/2 feet wide and 4 feet long. I was aiming for the center of the target and most of my shots were about a foot above where I was aiming and scattered all over. While there was no pinpoint accuracy taking place, I was putting most of the shots on the target which works for me. the gun felt comfortable, was relatively accurate, and had no ftf or fte's.

Overall this gun fit my purpose. It seems to be reliable, concealable and comfortable to wear. Next time I head to the range I will be using it on the 15 yard range to see how it shoots at a shorter distance.

Default Re: Ruger LC9 review

I have one.....love the size but hate the trigger. Not aure why Ruger used such a horrible trigger on the LC9 as it has a safety whereas the LCP does not. They really need to sell triggers for the NY/MA market and different triggers for the rest of us.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I have one.....love the size but hate the trigger. Not aure why Ruger used such a horrible trigger on the LC9 as it has a safety whereas the LCP does not. They really need to sell triggers for the NY/MA market and different triggers for the rest of us.
    ...and remove nanny state legislated features like the the internal lock and mechanical LCI.

(Bucks County)

I love mine - I shoot as good if not better than most of my full-size frames with it. Yeah, the trigger is long, but I think it's manageable. I bought it to take with me road biking. I also got a really cheap small waist pack from REI in Conshohocken, cut apart a tupperware lid to make two backplates - one for the main pocket and one for the small pocket. Attached velcro anchoring points onto the panels to hold the xtra mag and the gun upright, had the local shoe guy sew big female patches of velcro into the pockets to secure the panels. It's very discrete. I only use that on the bike because I can't stand anything being on my body during a hard workout - for the rest of the Summer, I got a custom holster made - kydex on leather IWB with J clips - that works very well with my zip off safari pants that have integrated belts on them. Lightweight tech t-shirt over than and not even a hint of printing.

I think the gun is a winner. I got mine when they first came out. Now I think there are better options, but not for this kind of money.

I bought one awhile back and it has become my EDC, Replacing a P3at Kel-Tec, I use to carry the Kel-Tec in the Summer months under a T-Shirt, But I found the LC9 conceals just as easy and being a 9mm, that's a plus over a
    .380 caliber.

Mine has been 100% reliable and I often wondered if I'd been better off upsizing to the SR9C, But I happen to be in a gun shop the other day and they had the SR9c sitting next to a Glock G26 the Glock was definately more concealable, The Ruger SR maybe slightly thinner, but didn't look like much, So I'm glad I went with the LC9 in the end.

YMMV
    TJB
    Recoil Happens

(Bucks County)

Love mine. I carry it in my holster handbag. I purposely got it because of the long trigger....made me feel better, as a newbie, to know it would be almost impossible to have an accidental discharge. Practicing with it loosened the trigger up a tad and made me more comfy with it.

I'm actually lots more accurate with it than I am our SR22 pistol. LOL.

It does print on me, when I carry IWB, but I think its because of being a woman and my clothing....working on finding a comfy holster for my LCP to carry on my person. LC9 is perfect for my handbag....not too heavy but a little better knockdown, I guess, than the .380, and way easier to shoot at the range!
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Love mine. I carry it in my holster handbag. I purposely got it because of the long trigger....made me feel better, as a newbie, to know it would be almost impossible to have an accidental discharge. Practicing with it loosened the trigger up a tad and made me more comfy with it.

I'm actually lots more accurate with it than I am our SR22 pistol. LOL.

It does print on me, when I carry IWB, but I think its because of being a woman and my clothing....working on finding a comfy holster for my LCP to carry on my person. LC9 is perfect for my handbag....not too heavy but a little better knockdown, I guess, than the .380, and way easier to shoot at the range!
    Thanks, good to know as my wife just picked up a couple concealed carry leather handbags & this is the handgun she seems most likely to go with
    Jesus is Lord !

(Dauphin County)

Got mine a few weeks ago when I got my LTCF. Its my edc in a tommy theis IWB holster and I havent had a second thought about my choice.

(Philadelphia County)

Have mine on layway, cant wait to get it!

Bringing this thread back to life, look up galloway precision if you dislike the trigger. They sell modified hammers and trigger connectors that are suppose to half the travel. I'm awaiting the arrival of my modified hammer/connector. Plus I'm installing their trigger with an adjustable stop.

Also, XS Big Dots are now available for the LC9. I have a set sitting on my desk waiting to be installed.
    "If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast