Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default little help with my 1911

Ok I got bit by the 1911 bug and its an expensive and that is just the ammo. I went cheap on the first one and Got an ATI gi commander style. It is currently back in the shop as the front sight ( mil spec) popped off while shooting. I also had the ejector replaced ( by a local smith).

One person mentioned maybe upgrading to a wolf 20lb spring as an upgrade which ill probably do.

What I am wondering is this. Since all 1911 frames are made very simlar I was wondering if if would be practical to say gut the ati 1911 keep the slide, lower reciever and barrel and then use say Wilson combat parts ( I have wholesale accoutns to get them) to modify the gun or am I better just buying another 1911? I was told that most 1911's up to say $600 are going to be similar quality to what I have now. I figure I can drop the parts in for probably under $200 counting labor. I know a barrel will probably add at least $150 to the price.

Thought I would ask what some think especially if they were in a similar situation. It is a crazy world, so I dont carry an 8 shot 1911 but a 17 shot glock. I just really like the 1911
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(York County)

Default Re: little help with my 1911

First, I think that going to wolff springs ( all springs ) is a great idea, but I think going to a 20lb spring is a bit much. I would go with an 18lb spring instead. Secondly, I agree that upgrading the insides of your current ATI 1911 is a good idea if staying with quality parts. The frame and slide assembly are of high enough quality that you would not see a significant difference in a sub $1000 gun ( providing you like how it feels in your hand ). Remember, when upgrading, that parts like grips, and mainspring housings , are important too ,( how it feels affects how you grip it, which could be the difference between limp wristing and not.). If you do upgrade to quality internals, and increase the recoil spring poundage, don't forget to upgrade the slide release to a better piece ( since it anchors the swinging barrel link, going to heavier springs will increase the beating it takes, so go to a stronger unit). Also, if you do upgrade, go with a quality pre-fit sear set ( do not try to fit this yourself if you've never done it before. You can practice on your old one later.) Anyway, good luck.

First you should know that all the parts in your ATI 1911 were probably fit to that specific gun, and that there is no such thing as a (drop in) part that is worth a dime for the 1911.

Also any and all parts that will improve the the function of a 1911 need to be over-sized and sized to fit precisely to the 1911 for any type of improvement.

I say stay with what you got and shot the hell out of it and then if anything breaks replace it with oversize quality parts.

(Lawrence County)

18lb is still going to be heavy. 20lb springs will wear the lugs faster. 16lb is about right for 5" gun and if you want to slow the slide use a squared firing pin stop.

Personally, I think the Taurus and Armscorp frame guns (STI Spartan and RIA) and really quite good at the $600 price point.....and I've shot plenty of $3000+ guns.

Honestly.....the best thing you can do for any new 1911 is polish the ramp and chamber (don't blend the edge where they meet) and drop in an Aftec extractor. Then cycle it like a mofo about 1000 times.

That fixes 99.9% of problems.

Lycanhasn'tchangedaftecspringsin20kroundsthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    One person mentioned maybe upgrading to a wolf 20lb spring as an upgrade which ill probably do.
    Why might you consider this an "upgrade"? Wouldn't you think a manufacturer might have a better idea of what spring to put in their gun than "someguy" on the street? Over-springing a 1911 is NOT an upgrade, it's a downgrade because it beats up the pistol unnecessarily. The stock recoil spring for a Commander should be an 18-pound. There is no reason to go heavier.

What I am wondering is this. Since all 1911 frames are made very simlar I was wondering if if would be practical to say gut the ati 1911 keep the slide, lower reciever and barrel and then use say Wilson combat parts ( I have wholesale accoutns to get them) to modify the gun or am I better just buying another 1911? I was told that most 1911's up to say $600 are going to be similar quality to what I have now. I figure I can drop the parts in for probably under $200 counting labor. I know a barrel will probably add at least $150 to the price.
    If you choose Wilson's good parts, you're looking at more than $150 just for parts. If you choose Wilson's "Value Line" parts, they are MIM so they aren't any better than what came in your pistol. What did you pay for your ATI, $500? Why would you pay another $200-plus to make a $500 gun into a $700 gun when it isn't going to shoot any better after the "upgrades"? For $700 you could probably buy a new Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    18lb is still going to be heavy. 20lb springs will wear the lugs faster. 16lb is about right for 5" gun and if you want to slow the slide use a squared firing pin stop.
    But a Commander isn't a 5" gun ...

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    But a Commander isn't a 5" gun ...
    Missed that. Thank you.

Lycanneedstoslowdownthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

The OP has tinkering fever, it happens with the 1911. For his first 1911 he will probably end up with a extra parts bin, and we all need one of those.

(York County)

I know I already responded, but I'd like to add to it. There is nothing wrong with some trial and error, or getting your hands dirty. Do yourself a favor op, order Brownells free 1911 only catalogue. Keep your initial " upgrades " simple. Stick to those things which can be put back to stock if you don't like them. Springs, better sights, grips, recoil guide rod, etc. Watch a few videos on polishing your feed ramp, etc. Take it apart, put it back together, get comfortable with your gun. Get to know it inside and out, then start changing things if you want. But start small and keep it simple. As you gain experience, then you can become more adventurous in your tinkering. Sights, springs, grips, and a polished feed ramp will change the dynamics of the gun completely, and allow you to put it back to stock easily should you decide to.

(Blair County)

There are some really good answers on this thread! Here is my opinion. I own 5 1911s so far (kimber, springer and 3 Colts) and plan to own many more before I am through. The 1911 platform is IMHO the most personable pistol on the market. You can really get to know and modify it if you want.

On one hand, (and I know nothing about this particular manufacturer) it sounds like this model is on the less expensive (relative) side which would make it easy to learn by tinkering with if you were inclined to the do-it-yourself gunsmithing school of thought. But you will want to really do your research if that is the route you take because there are some VERY dangerous areas (the firing system) that could go wrong if done improperly!

On the other hand, if you are going to have an actual gunsmith modify the pistol, I agree that you should only replace/customize the aspects you don't like or are causing malfunctions. If the gun is reliable and satisfactory as is then it makes no sense to me to make a "$500 pistol into a $700" pistol just for the sake of change. Save your money and get a higher quality 1911 with the features you actually want.

Congrats, I think you did it right by buying a "cheaper" 1911 as your first one. Enjoy but beware, the 1911 can be a very addictive and expensive hobby! In my opinion, there is not a firearm that is more enjoyable to shoot/own/personalize than a reliable and accurate 1911!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast