Ok I got bit by the 1911 bug and its an expensive and that is just the ammo. I went cheap on the first one and Got an ATI gi commander style. It is currently back in the shop as the front sight ( mil spec) popped off while shooting. I also had the ejector replaced ( by a local smith).

One person mentioned maybe upgrading to a wolf 20lb spring as an upgrade which ill probably do.

What I am wondering is this. Since all 1911 frames are made very simlar I was wondering if if would be practical to say gut the ati 1911 keep the slide, lower reciever and barrel and then use say Wilson combat parts ( I have wholesale accoutns to get them) to modify the gun or am I better just buying another 1911? I was told that most 1911's up to say $600 are going to be similar quality to what I have now. I figure I can drop the parts in for probably under $200 counting labor. I know a barrel will probably add at least $150 to the price.

Thought I would ask what some think especially if they were in a similar situation. It is a crazy world, so I dont carry an 8 shot 1911 but a 17 shot glock. I just really like the 1911