Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Neighbors dog trespassing, need advice

This is one of those things that depends on whether you're in the city (or suburb) or the country. Where you are, the call the cops, use video, and pepper spray are pretty much the options.

Out where we have our horses the new neighbors have one of those yappy little toy dobermans (I don't know the real breed name) that kept coming over and snarling at us and our horses. You know the type... the kind that threatens to come after you if you turn your back or kneel down to fix the sheer-pin on the bush-hog, then runs like hell when you stand up.

One day, it was doing that when the neighbors came over to the pasture fence to call it back. The little shit's name is "Killer."

I called out, at the top of my lungs and in my most having-served-on-a-tall-ship deck voice: "YOUR DOG HAS BEEN HARASSING AND THREATENING OUR LIVE-STOCK!"

Guess what? We never saw the little bugger on the property again.

I guess they read between the lines of what I was saying to them.

(Little did they know that at least one aggressive stray dog has been kicked and stomped to death by these same horses; my .22LR was not the greatest threat.)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Regardless, it may be best just to call animal control and have the beast carted away.
    After the dog begins costing your neighbors some money they may be more careful.
    My vote is for a call to animal control. If I were you I would knock on their door and tell them what you are planning to do. MAYBE it will not happen again after a nice conversation about your plan of action. If you are completely fed up, and I was you, I would just call animal control. Forget about giving them one last chance.

I would be stern and simple, "Listen you leave me with no choice. If the dog trespasses on my property again, I am immediately calling _________. My family and I will no longer tolerate your irresponsible handling."
    Last edited by Jon Doe; May 4th, 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: added sentences beyond "Plan of action."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    You're going to "defend your family" from a dog that gets loose and... barks at you?

Yeah... you know not everything is a nail needing a hammer right? If not well, enjoy paying for your lawyer. They're expensive.
    § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

I would try to avoid shooting the dog.

(Allegheny County)

The squeaky wheel gets the grease... call 911 every time it happens. The police will soon tire of coming out and the citations will start to fly. A few $300 tickets will usually cause the worst dog owner to toe the line.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease... call 911 every time it happens. The police will soon tire of coming out and the citations will start to fly. A few $300 tickets will usually cause the worst dog owner to toe the line.
    The fines for our area starts out at $75 and works it's way up to 30 days in the pokey. Found that out after I emailed pictures of my neighbor's cats to a LEO friend, and she stopped out to have words with them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    § 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.
    I'm not ignorant of the law on this issue. And the dog is not pursing or attacking is it? Have fun proving he was, especially when there is a post saying it didn't attack ever, a lot of times. Also have fun dealing with neighbors who just had their someone shoot their family pet. You think it's weird now? HA. Good fucking luck later.

It's a horrible idea.
    Soldats ! Faites votre devoir ! Droit au cœur mais épargnez le visage. Feu !

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 600hpz31 View Post
    I need some advice on what to do, we purchased our current home in late 2009 and since then we have continuously had problems with our irresponsible neighbor letting there dog trespass on our property, we have heard there apologies 20+ times.

We have spoken to the husband and wife about this ordeal on many occasions and given them many times to mend this problem.

The dog consistently gets loose and runs over to our property, barks at us and our dog in a aggressive manner. So my question is can I defend myself and my family without getting into any trouble?
    If you are looking for a justification for shooting an innocent dog because it has assholes for owners you won't get it from me. Do you have enough testosterone to draw a line with the owners then call Lehighton PD, Zoning and then the dog warden?
    Take pictures.

CARBON
    GEORGE NIXON
    570-629-1099

(Indiana County)

I have a few dogs, and one cat. The dogs stay in my fenced in yard (not an inexpensive proposition on my part, but well worth it), and the cat goes wherever he wants. He doesn't wander too far (domestic cats don't, you know), and my neighbor leaves his storage shed door ajar so the cat can utilize the shed if necessary (rain, snow, whatever). We don't have problems with field mice. None, whatsoever.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GregorOneEye View Post
    I'm not ignorant of the law on this issue. And the dog is not pursing or attacking is it? Have fun proving he was, especially when there is a post saying it didn't attack ever, a lot of times. Also have fun dealing with neighbors who just had their someone shoot their family pet. You think it's weird now? HA. Good fucking luck later.

It's a horrible idea.
    Indeed. You don't need that kind of trouble. You just want the dog to be controlled. You might consider a Have-a-Heart trap and taking it to the shelter if caught on your property. The neighbors will be inconvenienced, but they'll have their pet back.

And you won't have made an innocent animal pay for the stupidity of its owners.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast