Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What age is good to start shooting?

My Son keeps bugging me to take him shooting when I go. I'm for it but, my wife thinks he's too young. He'll be turning 7 in May and I was thinking about buying him a .22 rifle for his birthday. Again, my wife isn't too keen on this idea thinking he's still too young.

I was 8 the first time I shot a firearm, skeet shooting with my neighbor, and I don't see any problem with the idea. I think it'll teach him responsibility. I was talking to my boss, a firearm owner in the Communist State of NJ, he thinks 7 is too young also. What are the thoughts of everyone on this?

(Warren County)

Default Re: What age is good to start shooting?

As a father of four sons, I am facing the same situation. I've been back and forth about it as well.

With guns in the house, it's important for him to know the safety rules. I'm sure you're taught him not ot touch them unless you're around and to get an adult if he finds one unattended.

Have you started teaching him range rules and such at home with his toy guns? I've began drumming safety into my kids with their toys at home, so when mom finally gives me the go ahead, they at least has some of the basics.

How young is too young? Hmmm, that's a tough question. I'd say start him off as soon as he expresses interest. My 11yo doesn't seem overly interested, but both my 6yos are all about it. I've been going through the same dilemma as you. Are they too young? ...

Do you have enough of a yard to shoot an air rifle out back, and would your wife be OK with that?

I think I was 5 or 6 the first time my grandfather took me to the range with his Marlin youth 22 with heavy stock. I've been talking to him about it, and he'd love to take each of my boys one at a time and see where they are with their safety and such, and we'll go from there.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Dauphin County)

of course you have to decide on his responsibility but 7 is a good age to start especially if he is showing an interest, i started both my kids off with a .22 when they turned 9

my step girl i bought a used Remington semi auto .22, wished iw oudl have gone with a bolt when hunting season came around, so when my son turned 9, 5 years later i got him a brand spanking new Marlin model 25T its a synthetic stock blued tube fed bolt action, i gotta tell ya its a sweet shooter with a small 4X scope on it..

allot of people swear by the Ruger 10/22 i have never shot one but have never heard anything bad about them, i like my sons Marlin, it really is a sweet shooter and i shoot it more than he does..

(Dauphin County)

I was also 8 when i started shooting for the first time (now 21) and i believe i was 11 when i took my hunters safety class, so 7 or 8 should be a good age id think, and nothing wrong with shooting a .22, also if he has a bb gun then he should be able to shoot a .22, if he dosent have a BB gun maybe you should start there to see how to acts with it, let him keep it in his room ect, and see how the responsibility thing plays out with being safe with a firearm, if all turns out good take him shooting with the .22. I started off with something like this http://www.daisy.com/shopping/custom...&cat=249&page=when i was about his age 50.00 bucks usually at walmart, i remember when my pops got it for me he gave me the basic safety speech, and i wasnt allowed to go shoot it without him there.

(Philadelphia County)

Both of my boys (6 and 5 years old) know about firearm safety. I, like you, tell them to treat every gun as if it were loaded, including their toys. I have a small yard, 15 yards front to back, I could probably set up a little range for an air rifle for him. She'd probably bitch a little but, that's what wives do best.

(Jefferson County)

It all depends on the individual child.

My dad started my brother and I at 4 years old with .22 and .32 rimfires.

If the kid(s) are responsible at a young age - then why not start them? But you the parent have to be the judge of what is right and when the child is ready.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I started when I was 5 or so. Not at all unusual in West Virginia. My boy started just before he turned 5, though it was awfully hard to find a place here where he was allowed to shoot.

IMHO, it's best to start them as young as possible. It allows you to start ingraining/imprinting/indoctrinating firearms safety and responsibility in them as young as possible, plus you are setting a hook now when it will stick, instead of waiting until they are older and trying to compete with video games. Along with my wife, we took now 8 y/o Sean hunting every weekend this fall, and as often after work/school as we could. Thanks to the prior three years of training and practice, not once did he make a safety mistake in the field, he learned that hunting is work, and he's as hooked on hunting as he is target shooting.

It IS a lot of work for the responsible adult, though. You can't take your eye off 'em for a second any time they are near the guns, especially when you are first starting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

I began shooting with my Dad and a Red Ryder when I was 7 or 8. Got my first . rifle when I was 9.

The age is just a number. If the child is strong enough to hold and handle an air gun or firearm then get to it. My two boys were 5 and 7, they started together with pellet guns in the back yard. It was actually therapy for the younger one as he needed help with gross motor skills, fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Both boys, now men, still have their eyes. Both still shoot and yes they have the original pellet guns, one rifle and one hand gun.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Snyder County)

I shot my first rifle with my dad and brother when I was 5. Got a Red Rider when I was 7. Shot my first shotgun at 7.

Also, I helped with Cub Scout Day Camp in the summers for a couple years teaching 6-10 year olds how to shoot BB Guns. Most of them, by the end of the week, could shoot damn good at 15 yards. If you teach them safety first, then the basics of how to shoot properly, they can do great.

FWIW, I think it is best to have them shoot prone first. You load it, they just shoot. This lets them get comfortable with shooting in the most stable position. Then when they are comfortable with the sights, the noise the rifle makes, safety, etc, you can move them up to bench and standing shots.

(Allegheny County)

I believe the actual age is not an issue, its more the maturity level, and interest of each individual child. I bought my 8 year old daughter a single action, Davey Crockett .22 for Christmas. My son, age 10, is already in the "I know everything" mode, and although he handles firearms in a safe manner, its a much more pleasant day on the range with my 8 year old. Either way, a day at the range with any child is priceless, as it provides one on one time for the two of you, you are teaching a sport that you love and hopefully they will to, and you are teaching responsibility....these are all great things.
    No signature required.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast