Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Brand new firearm owner, seeking advice or tips.

EricB,

You got a lot of good advice here. First, I would like to second the advice to get a LTCF ASAP. Philly is notorious for taking its good old time getting the LTCF processed and mailed out so the sooner you start, the sooner you will get it (a month+ from now, that is ).

To help clarify where the trigger finger should be, anything from the tip of the index finger to about the first knuckle is ok to be on the trigger. The exact placement is basically determined by how well the gun fits in your hand and what you need to do to be able to squeeze the trigger straight back.

From what you described, it also sounds like you might be squeezing the grip of your pistol harder with your hand as you are firing. Even though this gives you more leverage to squeeze the trigger back, you torque the pistol and through your shots off.

I am a firearms instructor and have an NRA Basic Pistol Shooting class coming up in July if you are interested. I also have a Basic Defensive Pistol class coming up in August. Finally, I can travel to your range to provide private instruction if you are interested. My website is www.magilltraining.com or you can PM me here for more information.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by EricB. View Post
    Hello all,

First let me thank you for taking the time to at least read my post. I'm not a gun fanatic, this will more then likely be the only firearm I purchase; I got it for a reason, personal, family and home protection. And I certainly don't want to be an untrained carrier of a fire arm, I will pursue a carry permit once I've mastered the weapon and have been properly educated.
    Get your LTCF now. I'ts only a one page application. Even if you don't carry yet, it will give you extra protection when transporting firearms. As without one you can only transport directly between gun shop, repair center, home, business, range or place of assembly with no other stops.

A background about myself; I'm a professional photographer that likes to shoot (photograph, we use the same lingo) alone and at night and lately I've been kept from doing what I should be able to do thanks totally to the increasing violence in the Philly. Photography equipment isn't cheap, not by a long stretch, some lenses alone are at much as two AR15s just to give you an idea. The Walther P99 AS .40 S&W is the model I chose to go with, absolutely love it but there's many form posts about that.

It's a double action trigger, first pull is long and stiff, the next trigger reset is much less resistance and half cocked. The problem I'm having is with the first pull, despite how I grip the gun it always seems to pull to the right and be a bit low. Obviously I didn't take any training yet, I'm still getting used to having a firearm; it's an intimidating thing to have and I do follow the 4 rules of fire arm safety. I do a lot of dry fire practice with snap caps and the loaded magazine locked up in the guns safe, the weapon is always cleared before proceeding and always pointed toward a concrete wall that's underground. When I get my sight alignment and pull the DA trigger set, I distinctly notice the front sight torque to the right. And that's my problem.

So what am I doing wrong that the first long pull of the trigger is pulling the shot off the right and low? I've watched many a youtube video on proper grip and stance. With the subsequent shots when it's in Anti-Stress mode, I have no problems, center mast and head shots on the target no problem.

I would truly appreciate any advice, tips, resources, anything anyone is willing to share. I hope NEVER to use it on anything other then paper...a few laptops and some water melons but never anything living unless I'm forced to make a him or me decision.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post, if you made it this far. I appreciate it!

Regards,
    Eric
    Does sound like you are Jerking the trigger. When dry firing try a slow squeeze when the sear breaks and the pistol fires it should almost be a surprise.

But my real advice is to get pro training as soon as possible. Learn good habits right off the bat and then practice them frequently.

(Lycoming County)

Eric:

Welcome to the forum.

Great advice all around here.

But, regarding "this will more then likely be the only firearm I purchase".

Don't be surprised if you do not adhere to this.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Philadelphia County)

I can see now that I'm going to be saying thank you a lot! All of you have given outstanding advice that I've already started practicing with (dry fire) and am already noticing a difference, it's not pulling to the right as much.

Attached is a very crappy photo of my last target, I shot it with my phone so please excuse the quality.

After looking at it, it seems as I was wrong, it's pulling left and low even though I see the front sight jerk to the right. 12 of those rounds were fired from a pistol I'm not used to, it was a Sig Sauer demo day at the shop and they let you fire whatever you wanted, you just had to buy the ammo. In that target, there's 53 rounds put through it.... I was up there for a photo shoot of the store (http://ebsphotographic.com/commercia...sports-center/). The other 42 rounds where shot with my gun. Keep in mind, every shot on that target was aimed at the "X"s

I know part of the problem is not being used to firing a pistol. My dad was a Philly police officer for 23 years and we've always been around loaded guns, they were either stashed or locked up so we couldn't get to them. When I get to the range and the pistol is live, I do get a bit of hand shake; believe me, I fully understand and respect the power of what I have in hand. As I get more comfortable and get more training/practice, I'm sure that will go away.

As for traveling with the weapon, it goes from my home to the range and that's it. I've got a jeep with a soft top and there's no way I'm leaving the gun in the car to make a quick stop, if I need something, I bring the gun home first and then run back out. And I NEVER have ammo in the car, I've got personal protection (JHP) rounds locked up at home; a gun is no good without bullets and if someone tries getting in, I'm not about to throw the gun at him. When I get range bullets, however many boxes I get from the shop, I make sure I fire them all.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to help the new guy out, I really appreciate it.

PS. And you're right, once I can afford one, I'd love a Sig 1911 style .45, so I retract that statement about the gun I have now as being the only one I'll purchase/own.

One last question, how do I go about starting the process of acquiring my LTCF permit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EricB.; May 5th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to the forum, Eric. It is nice to have another photographer join our ranks - great port btw.

Best suggestion that I can recommend to you is to buy a laser training device like something offered by LaserLyte. I got a chance to play with one of these at the 2012 SHOT Show and I ended up buying a set for myself and a friend. Definitely improved my trigger control by using the device. Also allows you to keep practicing if you can't get to the range.

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lts-target
    http://www.laserlyte.com/products/lts-pro

(Montgomery County)

One last question, how do I go about starting the process of acquiring my LTCF permit?
    http://www.phillypolice.com/assets/d...pplication.pdf

I personally think your anticipating recoil on the first shot. The way to test this is to have a friend load the gun without you knowing if it is live or not. If you jerk the gun and nothing was fired then that's the problem.

The chart below may be helpful (for right handed shooters). Go to the URL if you are left handed.

http://blog.hsoi.com/2009/06/15/corr...ting-problems/

(Pike County)

Can I suggest going to the Wicen's shooting range? They have significant RSO presence, they are approacheable and can (and will) answer your question, give you advice and observe and correct you shooting.

But for the love of god - get your LTCF first! Also, you may consider some very basic pistol training. At least 3 hr NRA First Steps Pistol. Drop me a PM if you are interested or take it from any other fine instructor, that PAFOA has (and there are plenty).
    Again, thank you all for the tips and advice, and just as importantly, not treating me like a newbie
    We've all been there at some point
    Je suis déplorable

(Philadelphia County)

You guys (said in a general term) are awesome, so many excellent resources to start looking through and even better advice. Definitely glad I signed up for the sight. Also, it's nice to see I'm not the only photographer on here; I got asked a lot why I wanted a firearm doing what I do.

Thank you for the application for the LTCF link, I appreciate it, most helpful! Do I need to attach a photo to it?

I definitely plan on taking classes, the range I go to has some deal in the works with 3rd party instructors and to showcase the fact that shop offers classes, I'll be there to photo document it. Not a bad deal, they get promotional material and I get a free class.

One thing I can definitely agree on, is that I am anticipating muzzle flip. It's got a bit of a recoil to it, not much though and I always prepare my grip by torquing my non-shooting hand downward slightly to counter act it.

And lastly, I was thinking about a laser but thought it would be better to learn without one, just rely on the sights alone. Then, when I'm 100% comfortable and proficient with the firearm, add the laser flashlight combo on to it. When I say the next statement, I mean no offense, to me it just makes sense. I feel that starting off with a laser is kind of cheating a bit. I know I'll probably get slammed by by making that statement, but it's the mind set I have, learn to shoot with out, then when I get one, I know I'll hit what the laser is pointed at.

Again, you all have been terrific, I can't believe all the useful info I've received, I'm going to be reading and practicing a lot I can see. Hopefully one day, I'll be able to contribute as well, but you all see where my knowledge of the subject is currently...lol.

Thanks again all!!!

Eric

PS. RXM, thanks for the kind words on my portfolio, I appreciate it!!!

And lastly, I was thinking about a laser but thought it would be better to learn without one, just rely on the sights alone. Then, when I'm 100% comfortable and proficient with the firearm, add the laser flashlight combo on to it. When I say the next statement, I mean no offense, to me it just makes sense. I feel that starting off with a laser is kind of cheating a bit. I know I'll probably get slammed by by making that statement, but it's the mind set I have, learn to shoot with out, then when I get one, I know I'll hit what the laser is pointed at.
    I feel the same way and made a thread about it. My goal is to be a good shooter but honestly, if I saw a Crimson Trace for about 100 dollars I would buy it for my defensive .380. I am open to cheating when my life is on the line. Ultimately, reasons you stated and the price point keep me from getting one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast