Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Where to get safety training

Hello, not here much so bear with me. If I'm in the wrong forum then gently steer me in the right direction. Thank you.
    My issue: I have been in the US military for 17 years.
    I've been discharged since 1997.
    I was an M-60 gunner for 11 years and fired expert with the M-16 for 16 out of 17 years (that year used a rifle zeroed by someone else, anyway, just missed expert by 1).
    Long story shorter, now I have 2 young kids at home and people milling around the block at all hours of the night.
    My 6yr old daughter is afraid to sleep alone.
    There have been several reports of men in vans trying to seduce the children in the neighborhood.
    I live in the burbs but there is a housing development 2 streets over.
    I want to purchase firearms for home safety, target shooting, hunting, etc.
    I also want a concealed carry. (I work in N. Phila and leave after dark on many occasions.)
    Even with my military training, does that qualify as a safety course required for a hunting license?
    I am a teacher, with a clean police record and FBI check.
    Please let me know about safety courses in and around Montgomery County, PA. I live outside of North Wales, PA.
    Thanks
    PM's are welcome
    "Self-Defense is not Offensive."

(Pike County)

Default Re: Where to get safety training

Formal training is not required for PA LTCF. PM if you feel like you need formal training regardless of that.

Please proceed to the different subforum, to find lots of useful info about Monto issued LTCF: http://forum.pafoa.org/montgomery-15/
    Je suis déplorable

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrluke View Post
    Hello, not here much so bear with me. If I'm in the wrong forum then gently steer me in the right direction. Thank you.
    My issue: I have been in the US military for 17 years.
    I've been discharged since 1997.
    I was an M-60 gunner for 11 years and fired expert with the M-16 for 16 out of 17 years (that year used a rifle zeroed by someone else, anyway, just missed expert by 1).
    Long story shorter, now I have 2 young kids at home and people milling around the block at all hours of the night.
    My 6yr old daughter is afraid to sleep alone.
    There have been several reports of men in vans trying to seduce the children in the neighborhood.
    I live in the burbs but there is a housing development 2 streets over.
    I want to purchase firearms for home safety, target shooting, hunting, etc.
    I also want a concealed carry. (I work in N. Phila and leave after dark on many occasions.)
    Even with my military training, does that qualify as a safety course required for a hunting license?
    I am a teacher, with a clean police record and FBI check.
    Please let me know about safety courses in and around Montgomery County, PA. I live outside of North Wales, PA.
    Thanks
    PM's are welcome
    Let me expand on what Metz said. as I'm a 20 year (more than half reserves) vet as well, and around your age. I was dumbfounded when I started looking into the laws. PA is VERY gun friendly. License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) is the 'license', not a permit. We are a SHALL issue state, so unless you got something bad on your record, you'll get your LTCF. Philly is a City of the first class, so watch yourself there. It is actually legal to openly Carry (OC on this forum) a firearm is most places in PA, even without a LTCF. This place is FULL of great information and a bunch of half truths...the only one you should trust implicitly in the handle "gunlawyer" , nuff said. Welcome and thanks for your service.

(Northampton County)

Mr. Luke,

As others have mentioned, you do not need any sort of training to obtain your LTCF or a pistol in PA.

To obtain an hunting license, you must go through a Hunter-Trapper Education class. More information about the class is offered here: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=584869&mode=2.

If you are interested in additional firearms training, you can visit www.magilltraining.com for courses that I teach. If the schedules or location do not work well for you, I can come to your location. I am planning on scheduling an NRA Home Firearm Safety course for later this year.