Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Want a 1911 - What to look for?

So I think I've got my wife convinced into buying my a 1911 for my birthday in July. But what should I be looking for, and more importantly, what should I stay away from?

I'm guessing I'll be able to spend somewhere in the $400-500 range, so something like a new Kimber is obviously out of the question...

- Full size only (don't plan on CC'ing it much)
    - Mil-spec is OK
    - Prefer a known, reputable brand
    - I'm a lefty (not sure it matters)
    - Used is OK

Any recommendations? Is the price even doable for something of quality? I might be able to spend a little more, if I'm willing to sell/trade my 'lefty' flintlock (don't really want to, but...)

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Want a 1911 - What to look for?

I think your best bet for a new 1911 is going to be a Rock Island Arms Tactical. Should be right around $$425-450 bucks and they come with an ambi safety which is nice for us south paws. My friend has one and it's great. I personally decided to spend some extra money and have an STI Spartan which I honestly forget how much it was think $580ish.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988 Olds View Post
    I think your best bet for a new 1911 is going to be a Rock Island Arms Tactical. Should be right around $$425-450 bucks and they come with an ambi safety which is nice for us south paws. My friend has one and it's great. I personally decided to spend some extra money and have an STI Spartan which I honestly forget how much it was think $580ish.
    For the money these are good choices. also I'm a fan of The Citiadel, & the Ruger SR 1911. Among others.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

By July you should be able to land an SR1911, I like what others have suggested as well.

(Bucks County)

If you can get an SR1911, awesome. If not:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...5ACP+8RD+Blued

I have the SS version and it's great so far.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

Wow! Im in the same boat a you. Im a lefty and my birthday is in july and im looking to get a reputable 1911 as well. Only thing is that im looking for one a little bit more expensive. My suggestion to you is a rock island armory 1911, even a like new used taurus pt1911 would be in your price range. Cant go wrong with either

(Blair County)

Go over to Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA and see what they have in stock. (alot!) Find the one's in your price range and pick the one that "speaks" to you. Best of luck!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nigil75 View Post
    Go over to Ace Sporting Goods in Washington PA and see what they have in stock. (alot!) Find the one's in your price range and pick the one that "speaks" to you. Best of luck!
    I won't be ready to buy till June or July, but I think I'm run out to Ace on Saturday (good excuse to take the bike out... LOL) to window shop. Hopefully I'll be able to up my price range some by summer, as I might consider trading in or selling two black powders I have.

Anyone in particular I should ask for there?

$500 limits you to a very plain, filipino 1911. They are reliable enough according to reviews, but I have never handled one that had a usable trigger out of the box. Add another $100 to get a decent trigger job (because an only ok trigger will affect accuracy, I am fairly critical of the 1911 trigger when it doesn't do what it is capable of). When you shoot a 1911, even a cheap one, with a tuned trigger, you'll understand what I am talking about. There are Taurus 1911's out there for $500 to $550, NIB, that come with a decent trigger out of the box, full checkering, and lifetime warranty (one year on the finish). I recently did a trigger job and put a Hogue wrap around grip on a RIA 1911 for a friend of mine and it was actually quite good just with that. Groups in the 3" range at 25 yds were the norm off of a muzzle rest and resting the butt on a towel (nothing like a true accuracy tester Ransom rest), and with WM WWB ammo. Although the fit and finish of the RIA isn't that of a Colt or SA, it is acceptable. I am pretty sure the frames are cast and not forged like the Taurus is (and most every good 1911). If you don't shoot 10,000 rounds a year, then you'll be ok with the cast frame. The parkerizing is fairly thin on the Asian 1911's, just like the PT 1911, and they will all rust, easily, if not kept up with.

I was in the market for a Taurus PT 1911 ALR, but have decided, due to availability, to get a pair of RIA compact 1911's to personalize to my tastes. They will match the PT 1911 I have don't in Dupont, Corvette black, dual stage enamel. Gives me something to tinker with without going into my kids non existent college fund.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Centre County)

With your suggested budget, I say RIA.

You can get them in tactical or GI model.
    GI model can be had for around $370, and Tactical model is around $419.

You can get them in several finish option from standard Park finish, two tone, satin nickel and bright nickel.
    And several different choices in calibers.

I bought RIA Tac 9mm for wife, and spent some money to make it a special for her.
    If I was to do it again, I'd go with cheapest GI, then fit the BT grip safety, safety, trigger, and so on...

One thing on the RIA trigger - I'm not sure how RIA GI trigger is. But on the tactical model, trigger was not bad - broke clean at 5lb.
    Their biggest issue with trigger is the lack of over travel stop. with new trigger(in my case, I used Wilson Combat short Solid), trigger is not bad at all(at least mine anyway)

http://centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx

here is what RIA can look like...

Don't discount the Taurus either. THey come pretty much fully loaded(including FPS...), and checkered front strap. And forged frame and slide. SInce Springfield GI is no more, they would make good base gun for a build up
    Last edited by Mity2; May 3rd, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast