Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Current PA Resident with CCW - Moving out of State

Hello Everyone,

Quick question that I am having a hard time finding the right answer to. I currently live in PA and have a valid CCW permit that does not expire for another ~4 years. However, in October, I am getting married and will be moving to Maryland (a very un-friendly gun state as I'm sure you all know). I am not even going to try to get a Maryland concealed carry permit since it is pretty much impossible. However, I am wondering what will become of my PA permit when I am no longer a resident of PA? Will it still be valid until it expires or instantly become in-valid with my residence change? Will it continue to be valid if I renew it and don't let it expire? Or do I just go and apply for a Florida permit so that I will be able to carry in PA when I come home to visit and for hunting?

Thanks and I appreciate everyone's help.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Current PA Resident with CCW - Moving out of State

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig335 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Quick question that I am having a hard time finding the right answer to. I currently live in PA and have a valid CCW permit that does not expire for another ~4 years. However, in October, I am getting married and will be moving to Maryland (a very un-friendly gun state as I'm sure you all know). I am not even going to try to get a Maryland concealed carry permit since it is pretty much impossible. However, I am wondering what will become of my PA permit when I am no longer a resident of PA? Will it still be valid until it expires or instantly become in-valid with my residence change? Will it continue to be valid if I renew it and don't let it expire? Or do I just go and apply for a Florida permit so that I will be able to carry in PA when I come home to visit and for hunting?

This one is a little tough. You're going out of state and as such you should let the issuing authority know (i'd go straight to your actual sheriff, call and get an in person appointment to meet.. From there you should ask for a non-res permit. If you're not a freak he'll probably fudge some things and issue you one right there even if you're not officially a MD resident.

I would also recommend that you get a utah or florida permit now while you still can!

While your PA LTCF is good until it expires, there is the stipulation for someone applying for a PA LTCF from out of state, that he possess a license or permit issued by his home state, if they do issue them.

Since MD does indeed issue a similar document, that might mess you up as far as how valid your PA LTCF is once you become a MD resident without a carry permit/license from MD. Just my thoughts,

IANAL

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    While your PA LTCF is good until it expires, there is the stipulation for someone applying for a PA LTCF from out of state, that he possess a license or permit issued by his home state, if they do issue them.

Since MD does indeed issue a similar document, that might mess you up as far as how valid your PA LTCF is once you become a MD resident without a carry permit/license from MD. Just my thoughts,

IANAL
    So even though I am moving out of the state, my current LTCF will still be valid for the remaining ~4 years?

Unfortunately, although MD does say they do issue them, it is virtually impossible to get one.

(Jefferson County)

So even though I am moving out of the state, my current LTCF will still be valid for the remaining ~4 years?

Unfortunately, although MD does say they do issue them, it is virtually impossible to get one.
    Yes, it will be valid for the remaining duration.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, it will be valid for the remaining duration.

I tend to agree, although I am not a lawyer, and I not aware of any case law for this. Although PA will not issue to a Maryland resident without a Maryland permit, the mere act of moving to Maryland is not listed in the PA statutes as a reason for revocation.

The downside is, if you talk to the Sheriff and he decides your relocation is sufficient to revoke, you may have a bit of a struggle to get it back. Since the primary reason to notify the Sheriff of your new address is to get the renewal reminder in the mail, and that possibility will be forfeit after you move, I'm not sure I see the benefit of giving him your new address.

Now having said all that, I would suggest you go about obtaining a permit from another state with PA reciprocity, and do it now. The closer you get to wedding and moving day, the less time your going to have to take care of this detail.

Look into Florida, Arizona, Virginia, as any of these states will issue to a Maryland resident anyway. I don't believe Utah will.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

i think i agree with this more than my own post. Go get a Florida permit now..

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I tend to agree, although I am not a lawyer, and I not aware of any case law for this. Although PA will not issue to a Maryland resident without a Maryland permit, the mere act of moving to Maryland is not listed in the PA statutes as a reason for revocation.

The downside is, if you talk to the Sheriff and he decides your relocation is sufficient to revoke, you may have a bit of a struggle to get it back. Since the primary reason to notify the Sheriff of your new address is to get the renewal reminder in the mail, and that possibility will be forfeit after you move, I'm not sure I see the benefit of giving him your new address.

Now having said all that, I would suggest you go about obtaining a permit from another state with PA reciprocity, and do it now. The closer you get to wedding and moving day, the less time your going to have to take care of this detail.

Look into Florida, Arizona, Virginia, as any of these states will issue to a Maryland resident anyway. I don't believe Utah will.

(Elk County)

Thanks for all your help everyone. It is nice to know my PA permit will be valid until it runs out in 2016. However, I will still go out and get another permit from another state that has reciprocity with PA just in case.

On anther note, If I am still a resident of MD by the time my permit runs out and have not moved back to PA or to another gun friendly state, I wont be very happy (my fiancee is on board with this as well). PA is a wonderful state.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Bold could be debated...

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.
    With (e)(1)ix being the "resident of another state" clause. I would simply not inform of the change of address.

UT will issue to a MD resident as MD does not honor the UT permit....although, by this time next year MD may actually be Shall Issue
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; May 1st, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Hello Everyone,

I don't care how good the sex is, giving up a Constitutional Right for a woman is crazy. How about you move to southern PA and commute to md for work like thousands of other PA residents do?

CL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast