Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger SR9 releases slide when mag is inserted

I have been experiencing something strange with my SR9 when I have been at the range lately. If I have been firing for a while ( don't keep track of how many rounds), when I insert a magazine in quickly or slam it in there to practice my loading drills, the slide will release when the magazine is seated and locked into place. I am not touching or even coming close to the slide release lever during the process. Seems to happen more on the times I guide the mag in the well without banging on the sides and slam it into place knida hard. Doesn't do it all that much that I noticed when I miss the mag well opening a little and have to get it aligned to get it seated.

I have disassembled the lower and thought that there might be a spring or something that fell out or worked it's way loose and everything is where it is supposed to be. I can't think what would be causing this. None of the parts show any wear that would control this. The slide is good and no wear marks on that either.

It sure speeds up reload into battery times for damned sure! Just wondering if anyone else has seen this in either their SR9 or SR9C?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9 releases slide when mag is inserted

hold another gun or 5 at a 45 degree angle or so and send the mag home good and solid with the slide locked back, most all will do it at least some if not most times

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nateebobo View Post
    hold another gun or 5 at a 45 degree angle or so and send the mag home good and solid with the slide locked back, most all will do it at least some if not most times
    Come to think about it, that's exactly when it happens. I have the barrel level and pointing down range, turn my wrist to the right about 45 degrees to allow better access to the mag well and index the mag with the lower edge of the mag well. Guiding it in with my index finger and driving it home with the heal of my palm is when it releases the slide. I will have to try it a couple times and keep this in mind to see if it a positional thing or related to the force the mag is inserted and seated into place.

Some guns will do this, some frequently, some occasionally. It's not a problem, simply a matter of the slide being bounced .001" or so and allowing the slide stop to drop.

Happens with my SR9c and SR40c but rarely. As an aside, I would limit slamming your magazines into the well if you can avoid it, youre bound to pay the price later on with a broken or worn part.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Happens with my SR9c and SR40c but rarely. As an aside, I would limit slamming your magazines into the well if you can avoid it, youre bound to pay the price later on with a broken or worn part.
    I am trying to get into the habit of riding the mag in with the bottom of my left palm so that I can kinda roll my hand to seat the mag. That way my left hand can come up into place on the grip and be right there for the mag release. That action seems to allow everything to slide in there nice and smooth without banging shit into place. It's going to take some muscle memory training, but I really like that method of reloading fast. It doesn't feel as robotic and just flows for me. Changing parts is not a big deal if something breaks, it just getting them can be a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    I am trying to get into the habit of riding the mag in with the bottom of my left palm so that I can kinda roll my hand to seat the mag. That way my left hand can come up into place on the grip and be right there for the mag release. That action seems to allow everything to slide in there nice and smooth without banging shit into place. It's going to take some muscle memory training, but I really like that method of reloading fast. It doesn't feel as robotic and just flows for me. Changing parts is not a big deal if something breaks, it just getting them can be a PITA.
    I love slamming mine in occasionally, I can't see doing it any other way under stress. On my SR1911, I pussy it in by pushing the mag release button. Sounds like you're training appropriately, that's the most important thing.

Here ya go brother, love this guy....let me know what you think

(Montgomery County)

Some guns are made like that. My M&P 9 drops the slide when i insert a loaded magazine, but like others have said, the angle you are reloading is probably the reason why it is happening. Some people like it, some don't

(Bucks County)

My SR9 does the exact same thing if I slam it. I just try not to slam it, as the magazine goes in pretty easy generally. I'm not sure if this only started happening after I disabled the mag disconnect safety, although given the part that I removed to achieve this, I don't think it's related.

Edited to add: By the way, according to the SR9 manual, that button is not a slide release, but rather a "slide lock". They recommend that you pull back the slide to release after loading the magazine. Using that button as a slide release might, in my opinion, contribute to wear on that thin strip of metal that locks the slide open, so I avoid using it in that manner and pull the slide back after changing mags.
    Last edited by BucksCountyBob; May 1st, 2012 at 06:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast