Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default Sportsman's Show

My son told me today that the local high school had a sportsman's show this weekend that he attended. He said they had all kinds of hunting stuff and other items to include guns and other weapons.

Now, why is it a school can put on a show like this and have weapons in the school but you can not carry for self defense purposes.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Sportsman's Show

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)
    The bold portion indicates that such a show would be legal, as would (or SHOULD) licensed concealed carry for self-defense.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

What gnbrotz said...

Both state and federal gun free school laws allow for school sponsored gun events and other activities. Some schools still have shooting teams, yes - shooting teams.

"other lawful purpose" should include carrying for protection too. Under state law, no LTCF would be needed if carried openly for protection, but Federal law only has exemption for those carrying with a license issued by the state in which the school was located. However, since there is no legal definition, nor case law defining "other lawful purpose" - you may or may not end up being the test case.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

My old high school still has a rifle team. I met my wife on the rifle team actually.
    Μολὼν λάβε