Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default 470 Rounds of Filthy Reloads...

I have 470 rounds of 45ACP that my father had laying around (reloaded by a friend of his) that I inherited. These are all loaded with 185 gr LSWC bullets, ALOX lubed, with Bullseye powder. I knew the guy who loaded them, so I'm not afraid to fire them off, as I trust his reloads. The problem is, they are absolutely filthy to shoot.

I took some out today to break in my new SR1911, and after about 70 rounds, the guns chamber is so filthy they keep FTF'ing on me, and my hands were almost black with powder residue. Reloaded the magazine with some of my reloads, they function and feed just fine, so I know it's the ammo that's causing the problem.

So, as old Clark Kent would say, this sounds like a job for my trusty S&W 645. It's times like this that I absolutely love my S&W 645, as it will digest and fire pretty much anything, no matter how filthy it gets. Needless to say, the old girl's going to get pretty dirty on my next trip to the range, as I need to burn this ammo up.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(York County)

Default Re: 470 Rounds of Filthy Reloads...

1. Ewwww. Dirty
    2. Hmmm. OKay
    3. YAY! Everybody loves .45acp revolvers.
    4. You lucky devil.

(Erie County)

Just so you know, the S&W 645 is a semi-auto pistol, best known as the pistol Sonny Crockett carried on Miami Vice (after the Bren-10).
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

(Bucks County)

I'd pull them if they're that bad.

(York County)

Oops. Read 645 , pictured 625, just me jonesing for a Jerry special. Dang it, I hate mental farts. Whats sad is I used to own both a 645 and a 745.( I'm sad, please, I don't want to re-enact scenes from platoon with Charlie Sheen, Help Me.)

(Jefferson County)

Extremely dirty chambers is a sign that pressures are too low to expand the brass to seal the chamber.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    These are all loaded with 185 gr LSWC bullets, ALOX lubed, with Bullseye powder.
    These are loaded soft, often, for accuracy and low recoil in certain types of shooting. A soft round has a lot of blow back into the chamber causing it to get dirty. as Knight says, not enough pressure for the brass to seal the chamber.

You don't have to pitch them, just clean the pipe out after 50 rounds and keep going. If you get lead build up, FMJ rounds will help get the big build up out and then just use your favorite lead sizzler in the pipe.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Erie County)

I for sure will not be pitching them, I'll dispose of them by firing them. The S&W 645 is almost legendary for the fact that it will feed almost any 45ACP round you can throw at it. In fact, it's been well demonstrated that they'll even cycle and chamber empty cases from the magazine.

I'm pretty sure dad's friend had these loaded up to shoot out of his S&W 625 revolver, rather than out of a semi-automatic pistol, as they do have a light recoil (as 300WM had mentioned in his post).

(Perry County)

To honor your fathers friend I believe you should buy a 625. Yes, it is the only right thing to do buy a new gun to honor your father and his friend.

(Luzerne County)

MEH. Try shooting some .38 Specials loaded with 3.2 gr. of Unique giving about 750 fps out of a Ruger Blackhawk. My hands looked like I just finished a brake job.
    Did you know that the chances of your nose beginning to itch is exponentially proportional to the amount of grime on your hands?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast