Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default FNX 40 S&W OR S&W M&P 40 S&W.....

Looking into getting one or the other, which would you buy and why...???

(Northampton County)

Default Re: FNX 40 S&W OR S&W M&P 40 S&W.....

Both are fine combat tupperware imo. I would however go with the FNX. I like a DA/SA trigger better. Though the M&P has a decent trigger (better than Glock imo) for a striker fired gun, it will never be as crisp as a hammer fired gun.
    Are they still shipping with three magazines? That is another perk. Holster choice is more limited for off the shelf but there are many options.
    The weight balance I felt was better for me also.

Shoot both if you can. At very least fondle them in a store first. Good luck with your decision.

(Bucks County)

I had debated the FNX and M&P for about a month - only in 9MM as a range gun, as I have various .40 - needed something cheaper to shoot. It's now my favorite gun - I actually like shooting it more than I do my H&K P30 .40 which I love by the way - even though its trigger is not the best.

Just make sure you see the gun before you buy it - make sure the interchangeable backstrap is tight - some have a tiny bit of play.

Now, like I said, I haven't shot the .40 in FNX, but this gun is light so should definitely shoot it first. The 9 version that I have is in my opinion one of the tamest 9's I've felt just from shooting various guns of friends.

I liked the M&P, but for me, the fit, the finish (two tone is the goods) and the great DA/SA trigger did it for me. The thing is stupid easy to take down and clean. It was a tough decision, but after finally getting a chance to shoot both the decision for me was made easier. They're both fine guns in the long run I have no doubt.
    Last edited by galvanni; April 30th, 2012 at 12:03 AM.

(Monroe County)

FN all the way , far superior to M&P, far better better quality of materials used far better quality control, Zero recalls on thier handguns or any of their guns period.

Fn supplies 65% of US military small arms ,lots of experience in making durable quality firearms.

The M&P is not a bad Gun but quality wise it is no competitor to the FN handguns. Handle both and you will see for yourself.

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: FNX 40 S&W OR S&W M&P 40 S&W.....

fwiw i got to shoot a fnp .45 and dare i say it? i almost want to put my glocks away and start anew with the fn guns. yes i think they are that good.

+1 on what everyone has said on the FN. I got an FNX-40 about 4 months ago and love it. It fits my hand, points well and eats what I feed it. The S&W is far from a bad gun, but the FN is better. I've a friend with the FNX-9 and after shooting it, it went on My long wish list. You need to try the back straps to find the one that fits you best, but even when one is not the best one, it still feels good.

(Monroe County)

FN has been making Guns since 1910, They are not a Fad company, they do not put out a gun untill it is perfect or near perfection.

Mine is my bedside Gun, thats how much confidence i have that this Gun will perform if the chips are down.

I do not mean to imply that the M&P is not a quality firearm, it is ,but the Fnx/Fnp is better.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    FN all the way , far superior to M&P, far better better quality of materials used far better quality control, Zero recalls on thier handguns or any of their guns period.

Fn supplies 65% of US military small arms ,lots of experience in making durable quality firearms.

The M&P is not a bad Gun but quality wise it is no competitor to the FN handguns. Handle both and you will see for yourself.
    My experience after 1200 rounds of practically everything through the FNX-9 is I will seriously start looking at the other offerings of FN. And it's made in Columbia, South Carolina - my purchase supported an American job even if the profits are not destined to be spent in the states.

Has FN fixed the problem with mags falling out?

(Bucks County)

I have not experienced that problem. I will be looking it up though.