Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Never thought the day would come, but I'm starting to contemplate a revolver ....

After acquiring a handful of semi autos, from .380 to .45, and then moving into a rifle/shotgun phase, I suddenly find myself contemplating my first wheel gun.

I'm not sure exactly when or exactly why, but suddenly I find myself being drawn to a revolver.

Where's a good place to start? The primary purpose would be nothing more than shooting fun and rounding out my collection. I'm pretty set on the home defense, personal defense, and competition fronts. This will really be all about the cool/fun factor. Suggestions?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Never thought the day would come, but I'm starting to contemplate a revolver ....

Smith and Wesson model 64. There are a bunch of ex-police guns around. I shopped around for a while and got one with a very nice trigger. It's one of my favorite things to shoot.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Never thought the day would come, but I'm starting to contemplate a revolver ....

I would definitely recommend a .357 for your first revolver. You can shoot .38 Spec. for fun and low cost and have the .357 as a very good defensive round. I would recommend a 4" barrel. 6" is too long for me and 2" will hurt to shoot.

I have a Taurus 66 (S & W Model 66 knockoff) and it has been good to me. Adjustable sights are nice for getting whatever you shoot on target.

You will be amazed how simple and reliable they are.

HAVE FUN!

(Bucks County)

I'm a Smith and Wesson guy. Nothing wrong with Rugers, I just prefer the triggers and looks of S&W's. Not a fan of Taurus anything. Colts are nice, but overpriced, IMO, and not as attractive as Smiths. So, if I'm going to recommend anything, it would obviously be a S&W.
    Now, you didn't include a price range, preference of stainless or blued, caliber etc. 357mag is disorienting if shot indoors, so home defence with it is iffy. Nothing wrong with 38spl for competition, home defence, conceal carry etc. Reply with some more info and we'll go from there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    After acquiring a handful of semi autos, from .380 to .45, and then moving into a rifle/shotgun phase, I suddenly find myself contemplating my first wheel gun.

I'm not sure exactly when or exactly why, but suddenly I find myself being drawn to a revolver.

Where's a good place to start? The primary purpose would be nothing more than shooting fun and rounding out my collection. I'm pretty set on the home defense, personal defense, and competition fronts. This will really be all about the cool/fun factor. Suggestions?
    Look at a Taurus Judge or Smith and Wesson Governor. I've got a Judge with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. It's just plain fun to shoot. My kids and I love shooting it so much that I've begun reloading for it.

Seriously... consider it as a fun revolver.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northampton County)

I just got my first wheelgun. A used S&W 10-6, 4" stainless square butt for $350. Really nice shooter, tight lockup. Grips were tiny but replaced with as Houge mono. Only shoots .38 but is +p rated. Going to be my new summer carry I think. Once I get some fancy pants rosewood and a nice tan leather holster for it. Considering Galco Fletch.

I see more S&W's on the horizon for me. Maybe a Python or Anaconda though. Just alot of scratch for one of them.

(Lancaster County)

im pretty in love with my old 3 screw Blackhawk in .357. awesome single action trigger, very stout.

(Lebanon County)

you can't go wrong with S&W. alot of the taurus pistols are just copies of smiths. some like them others not. rugers, that's another love hate thing.
    one of the many used model 10s, also known as the m&p, would a be a great entry guns into the smith and wesson lifestyle. 2",4" and 6" barrels blued or nickle finish, 38spl, many p+ rated.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Beaver County)

While I like S&W revolvers I'm an absolute Dan Wesson fanboy. You can get yourself a nice used one for 350ish. Best thing about them besides a great trigger is interchangable barrels. Bought a 4" and dont like it, no problem. About 175-200 and buy yourself a 6 or 8inch barrel and install it yourself in 5 minutes or so. While some are collector items there are plenty out there that are just shooters. I even have a 15" barrel for mine. Barrels are available in 2,4,6,8,10,12,15 inches.

But really can't go wrong with a Smith or Ruger. They are much more common.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Smith and Wesson 586
    Ruger GP100
    Smith and Wesson K22/K17

Pick one and grin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast